NEW Firmware Release (2.2.2) - It's here!

I’m testing with Fire TV Box, Fire TV Stick, and Roku 3 4200X (tried two different ones in this case) all attached to a Denon AVR3312ci via HDMI, which in turn is attached via single HDMI to Vizio M70 UHD. TV, AVR, all media streamers (except Fire TV Stick) are hardwired GigE. Tablo has been factory reset yesterday (problem first seen last weekend) and new Western Digital 5TB Elements drive added - so completely empty (although problem was first seen on my previous 2TB WD drive). Tablo recording quality is set for 1080p.

Fire TV Box and Stick have no pausing/buffering/loading issues playing the exact same 720p recordings. The Fire TV Box does have a playback issue with dropping frames however that makes watching it difficult. The Fire TV stick (the only WiFi connected device) plays back the same exact 720p recordings just fine without all the frame drops/skips that I’m consistently seeing ONLY on 720p recordings on the Fire TV box.

Roku 3 4200x is seeing constant “Loading” messages. I thought perhaps related to multiple tuners working, etc., but just retested with last nights Panthers/Steelers game with the Tablo completely idle except for playback of that recording, and got the first “Loading” in about 30 seconds, and the second “Loading” 15 seconds after that - at which point I gave up! :tired_face:
And last night I broke out a brand new spare Roku 3 4200x and set it up - with the exact same results on 720p playback.
There is something going on with the the 60fps on the Roku platform. Additionally, I haven’t had a single issue with Roku playback since I started with Tablo last November - or even when I started testing Beta 2.2.2 - it only started when I began recording 720p sports last week.

And I can stream 4K content from Amazon and Netflix via the built in apps on the Vizio M70 - which really do look amazing BTW. Those stream flawlessly on the M70 which is connected to the same GigE switch in my media cabinet as the Tablo, Roku, and Fire TV box - and while that is dependent primarily on my WAN connection, it simply supports the notion that my LAN is also working correctly and has more than sufficient bandwidth for my local Tablo traffic.

One parting comment - 720p/60 does look very nice - so there is an upside to this - once I’m able to playback successfully, I wouldn’t be embarrassed to have people over to watch these games recorded on my Tablo!

1 Like

Getting worried.
I still don’t have the v2.2.2 update.

Thanks @theuser86 for clarifying! Apparently the Roku developer website was not updated to reflect the higher bitrates now being supported. I have never tried 17 Mbit/sec from my camcorder using Roku and USB / MicroSD local playback but apparently it should work sssuming the Profile of the AVC file is also supported by Roku.

Larry

@Radojevic - We just released another large batch of Tablos to be available for update. 80+% of all users should now have access.

Still don’t have it myself, just continuation of my frustration with Tablo! Might go looking for a Tivo this weekend : ( …

@TabloTV - Can you comment on the issue some of us are having with frequent “Loading” message with 720p/60 playback on Roku?
BTW, tested this with 4 Roku 3 4200x’s on 3 different displays - same issue on each one.

Takes like 20 seconds to delete a program,mark a program watched or un-watched, just general lag the unit is very slow to respond to any commands I originally had 3 ROKU’s but thought the deficiencies were with the Roku so I replaced them with 3 FireTV’s same problems, From PC same issue, I replaced my network hardware and cables still same problem, emailed support and requested a replacement as people here told me that lag was not normal, they ignored my request for a replacement, I asked several times, their only response was the logs on your unit look fine, replace your switch and or router. I guarantee not a problem with my network gear at this point. I have been hoping this update would improve my experience, but I think that is wishful thinking, as I can only guess after resetting the unit and everything I have done I believe it is a hardware issue with my unit.

Oh their support also said my hard drive was not really one they recommended, so I spent a $100 2 weeks ago and replaced it with a model they recommend lost all my recordings and that did not resolve my system lag, and still they ignore my request for a replacement.

1 Like

I haven’t noticed much performance improvement with this update other than the FF frames appearing sooner after a show is recorded. Loading a channel is still slow as hell and I have my Tablo hardwired.

1. Is your Tablo hard wired to your router?
  2. Are any of the Roku 3s or Fire TVs hard wired?
1 Like

Updating now…

As to all the comments that the Tablo is slow. Yeah, I think I just got used to it, but I do see what you mean. It’s not click -> Instant results. It’s click -> wait -> move on.

Yes everything is wired, I am a network engineer by trade and have top of the line equipment and can verify that networking wise everything else is fine, I run multiple XBOX’s online and other video services with no problem including 4KTV without buffering or any hiccups at all.

What time each day are the updates released? I still haven’t received it…maybe I’m just very unlucky.

I checked this morning, and nothing. I checked after TabloTV posted that a new batch was rolled out, and I was in that batch.

Yes everything is not instantaneous, sounds like Tablo is not for you unfortunately.

Just updated to v2.2.2.
After noon PDT, I pressed the Tablo reset button briefly, and was prompted to install the v2.2.2 update when it rebooted.

I rebooted my Tablo (for the 10th time this week), and I finally can download the update. Time for my new hard drive. :slight_smile:

I have had plenty of other users here say it should not be as slow as it is for me, that theirs does not take no where close to mine does to respond to things like deleting programs.

Deleting single episodes takes seconds at most.

Mine takes maybe 3-5 seconds to delete after hitting delete. But it sounds like you did some very thorough troubleshooting so I’m at a loss.

If your network is perfect, and you replaced the HDD with a Tablo recommended drive and you’ve tried it across multiple platforms then there’s not much else to do other than buy a new Tablo and try it out. If it doesn’t work better then return it. If it does, sell your old one on eBay.

@ChrisFix - Can you let us know what firmware you’re running on your FireTV & Roku? We haven’t been able to reproduce but we didn’t have any sports recordings handy. We’ll set some this weekend and see if we can get the same effect.