NEW Firmware Release (2.2.2) - It's here!

I honestly don’t think you are gonna get such a boost for that sale, but just my 2 cents. :wink:

It feels like July now. It must be, since I got the update notice today. :wink:

I can’t install it yet as the family is watching Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune, both of which are sort of sacred to my kid. Oh well, I now know my evening plans.

-d

Open a thread about your performance issue, the firmware before this one is generally quick.

Main issue is the wait for guide data to load, which is directly addressed in the update. So I’m waiting for the update.

Well, it is actually slower then because it is background sync. So it takes longer to download. Now, depending on what you use to watch your mileage may very

I’ve only had Tablo for a couple of weeks, but the preseason NFL game I’m watching tonight is magnitudes better looking than the one I watched last week. I do have an issue with the Loading, please wait screen coming up every few seconds on the roku, but found how to turn off the fast tv startup in the web app (why is that switch not available from the ipad app?), but that doesn’t seem to have helped. I sent a support ticket to see about getting it fixed.

But great job on making sports watchable! Can’t wait to see what other improvements you make in the future.

Are you watching a recording or live TV when you see the “Loading” message on Roku? If a recorded show, then the fast start-up switch won’t do anything - that is only controlling the amount of buffer when watching live.
My 720p broadcast recordings of football (using the 1080p quality setting on Tablo) look great now (the 60 fps really improved things), but for the first time ever, I’m getting the “Loading” message on playback of those recordings on my Roku 3. Not sure what is causing that, but would love to know if others are seeing it as well. My Roku and Tablo are hardwired ethernet.

I assume you’re using the 1080p recording quality then? Is your Tablo hard wired to your router? If not, do that.

Can’t speak for @mark1030, but I’m using 1080p recording quality (only way to get 60fps) and my Roku 3 and Tablo are hardwired to a GigE LAN - and I’m now (started with my first 720p/60 football game) getting constant “Loading” messages every few minutes. Wired to the same GigE switch, I’m able to stream 4K from Amazon and Netflix to my TV…so it’s not a bandwidth issue, but something to do with the 60fps playback.

Yep, same thing here. FWIW, watching Seahawks vs. Raiders on local Seattle Fox affiliate. Watching live w/new firmware on WiFi w/Roku 3 @ 1080 setting. Tried other channels and had no problems. Never had this problem until tonight (got the update today). Also, it seemed to happen at the top of the hours (8 and 10 PDT) and I was recording something else on the 2nd tuner from 8 to 830. Made watching the game impossible while it was happening. Disappointing but I’m sure it can be tracked down.

Watching live TV of same channel getting recorded. Yes, 1080p recording quality. Roku is hardwired.

At first I thought it was a buffering issue, but rewinding a few minutes didn’t help.

For whatever it is worth, the few progressive Tablo encoded 1080p files I recorded and then ripped were about 8.5 Mbit/sec bitrates. My brief reading at the Roku developer website regarding Roku SDK guidelines suggest encoding in the 3-4 Mbit/sec rate for highest quality sustainable playback, and only using high rates up to no more than 8 Mbits/sec for video coming directly from USB drives plugged directly into the Roku USB port or MicroSD. Streaming content via Ethernet or WiFi is spec’d at much less than 8.5.

I assume Tablo is very well aware of Roku limits and unquestionably has a lot more familiarity with Roku than I do, but this inconsistentcy still puzzles me.

Larry

See:

http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/Encoding+Guide#EncodingGuide-24ResolutionandBitrates

And also:

http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/Developer+Guide#DeveloperGuide-31SupportedVideoFormats

1 Like

@Chrisfix - As you say, Amazon and Netflix look like ~13-16 Mb/sec for their UHD 4K streams, waaaay beyond Roku requiiremenrs.

Yes, @snowcat you are correct. Sometimes I forget that the version I have is beta, and even if the device I’m using to watch on isn’t beta, it might have things that act differently if the Tablo itself is running beta firmware. So I have beta on everything I have - Tablo, Roku, FireTV Stick.

Make that two of us.

“Both Roku 3 and Fire TV support up to 1080p video at 60 frames-per-second.” Read more at: http://tr.im/V6NLo

Do you have a Fire TV to test 60 fps playback on?

As well, what are you playing back 4K content on? No Roku is capable of 4K yet.

@theuser86
Yes, 1080p, but at what bitrate? Since ripped Tablo files are ~8.5 Mbits/sec, and Roku apparently will not support even 6 Mbit/sec, perhaps buffering, reloading may be the consequence. Guessing the same 1080p files could be played on computer web browsers without hesitations.

Looking at the file with a stream analyzer one could also see if the buffering occurs right where the bitrates peak, and goes away during lower butrate periods, given VBR encoding of Tablo.

Larry

@RetiredEngineer

I have used my hard wired Roku 3 Model 4200 to play 1080p BluRay rips with 10-12 Mbit/s h.264 video - no buffering issues, this is all local playback over the network and via the USB port. The newer Rokus can handle an average bitrate up to 12 Mbit/s and a maximum peak of 20 Mbit/s for local playblack.

It must be the 60 fps, the BluRay rips I have played are generally 30 fps.

How does the background smart sync work? I installed the 2.2.2 update yesterday, but today when I loaded the web app and iOS app, I still got the typical 10-15 seconds of syncing before my recordings loaded on both fronts.

I have a hardwired, 4-tuner Tablo and hardwired Roku 3, and received the 2.2.2 update yesterday. I recorded an NFL game on Fox yesterday, and watched it live, and I didn’t notice the loading issue. And just so no one jumps on me, I’m not saying it’s not an issue, but I wanted it to be known there is at least one setup out there that isn’t experiencing it (at the moment anyway).

My recording quality is set at 1080p and the game on our local Fox affiliate (720p) looked fantastic! However, the NFL game on our local CW affiliate (1080i), looked the same as before :frowning:

I figured that would be the result, but was hoping the 1080p setting would somehow force the 1080i recordings to 60fps. I still don’t fully understand all the technical details behind why sports broadcasted on 1080i stations look amazing when connected directly to my TV but not quite as good on the Tablo. I’ll try our local CBS and NBC affiliates this weekend (both 1080i). Perhaps they somehow broadcast sports at 60fps and it will look fantastic.