NEW Firmware Release - 2.2.10

@TabloTV @TabloSupport The last 2 updates trying to view remote on my iPad Pro looks like this. I’ve tried LiveTV twice at the gym with the same results. Running 2.2.10. Look at the bottom of the image. The other part of the image was from CBS and the main image is from Fox if that helps.

@koltasi - Were you previously viewing the Fox live feed before CBS?

(Random aside, not sure what Rachel Ray is cooking, but they look tasty.)

1 Like

My poor unwrapped AppleTV4 is shivering with anticipation …

The other day, yes. Today it did it again and wasn’t watching anything before. I can’t get rid of it.

Wonder if it’s a weird manifestation of the picture in picture feature on iOS 9… http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/09/18/inside-ios-9-apples-new-ipad-only-picture-in-picture-mode-lets-you-keep-watching-video-with-any-task

Can you try clicking on the arrow on the top right corner to expand the screen? And is this only while you’re using Tablo Connect or is it also while you’re at home?

Try fullscreen? I wasn’t using PIP, I know what that is. Doesn’t work with the Tablo and say MLB app btw. Yes, I just tried it and it has only happened connecting remotely.

Guys -

Will send this to support as well. I live in Yonkers, NY - less than 20 miles from the transmitters in Manhattan. I have a Leaf 50 flat antenna and all my major networks are coming in full strength full green circles on the signal meter when adding channels. I’ve been playing with my new 2-tuner Tablo for about 3 weeks now and had found a good spot for it and the antenna and getting good recordings and live tv.

Ever since the 2.2.10 update, I’ve been getting a lot of breakups, pauses and skips - especially from WCBS-TV Channel 2.1 in New York. This is both on Live TV and on recordings. I have tried just about everything. Rebooting, relocating the antenna and re-scanning for channels, putting he Tablo on wifi instead of hard-wired, reformatting the USB drive (and disconnecting it too) – to no avail.

I’m getting ready to cut the “virtual” cord to my DirecT subscription but can’t until these issues are resolved. Can anyone (including table support) shed some light on the problem?

Thanks!
Aaron

What is your zip code? what does www.tvfool.com say you should get? Have you tried connecting the antenna directly to the TV?

Have you tried to connect your antenna directly to your tv and see if you lose the signal also?

Do you use your antenna amplifier or not?

While I see WCBS is real channel 33, which is UHF, you have some stations that are VHF. I suggest Winegard FL5500A antenna which is designed for both UHF and VHF. I used 10705 as the zip code to see the information.

Guys -

The Tablo was working well for the 2 weeks prior to getting the firmware update… I wasn’t getting the breakups, pauses and skips.

TV is located downstairs and not in the optimal spot for the antenna. I’ve tried the Leaf 50 with and without the amplifier and I get the same results. The Leaf 50 is basically identical to the Wineguard FL5500A antenna.

Aaron

The antennas are NOT the same. I can not get 62 (real 13) with Leaf but can with Winegard. Maybe because of distance too. It is in Killeen.

@beastman can you explain why the same hardware worked two weeks ago but not now?

In the past two weeks the weather has changed in terms of heat and humidity. That can affect antenna performance between 15 to 20%. Reception can go down as far as 3 to 6 db in the change between seasons. Such a reduction in the digital age can result in “the fall off the cliff” phenomenon or signal disruption (getting LPWs).

As well, in a city environment, a new building going up between the reception area and the transmitter can change the path of a signal. That happens frequently in a metropolitan area. Frequently a user will not see new construction going up a mile or two away from his home and wonders why OTA reception has changed so dramatically (seemingly overnight).

ah, Thanks @CraigRoyce, good explanation

New construction (or even edifice modifications along the way) can also introduce multipath distortion in which signals bounce around in city areas sometimes negating each other as wave troughs meet wave peaks.

One of the stated objectives of ATSC 3.0 is how can transmitter deployment in a metropolitan area be done in such a way as to mitigate multipath distortion (especially for mobile and moving reception). Thus ensuring more vehicular accidents…:scream:

They could have changed the sensitivity of the tuner is my only guess. Did you run the beta? I ran the beta and didn’t have any problems. However after the beta, I was watching NBC Nightly News almost immediately after it finished recording, while the thumbnails were being created. I had nothing but LPW on Roku and NP. The next night I didn’t get around to watching until 8 PM, and there were NO LPW on Roku 4. Everything I have is wireless. David said they’ll try that at @TabloSupport and see if they have problems too.

Since LPWs are a sign of transmission retardation and video segment buffering, could generation of thumbnails at the same time as viewing take a toll on the Tablo’s common resources?

I tell my wife, “Don’t watch something while it is recording or immediately after it has been recorded - wait a little while.” She’s had problems with LPWs otherwise…

I’ve watched while it was still recording without a problem, but this was the first time after the recording had finished, so I knew thumbnails were being generated.