Happy Monday Tablo Fans!
We hope you’re loving your Tablo!
Things have been even busier than usual here at Tablo HQ. Over the last week or so, we’ve launched the awesome new 4-Tuner Tablo, spent time fielding questions about the Aereo Supreme Court ruling, and put the final touches on our newest firmware load.
Keep reading for the full scoop…
NEW Firmware Release (2.1.12)
A new firmware release is available for Tablo. Your iOS, Android and web-based apps will notify you of its availability and prompt you to install it. This release will require a one-time resynch of Tablo apps on all devices.
This release contains:
- NEW - Support for manual recording
- Set recordings by time/date/channel
- Can be used by both subscribers and non-subscribers
- Allows you to schedule recordings of live events like sports and awards shows that might run longer than the allotted time
- NEW - Support for closed captioning (BETA)
- iOS and Roku clients now have beta support for closed captioning (CC)
- At this time, the web-based and Android apps do not have the infrastructure to support CC
- As a beta feature, we’re still working out the kinks, so please let us know how we can make closed captioning on Tablo more awesome
- NEW - Plex support
- Tablo superfans known as @PiX64 & @DavidVR on the Tablo Communityawesomely volunteered to write a Plex app for Tablo
- What does this mean? Well, through Plex software, you can now watch live TV and recorded Tablo content on even MORE devices including Amazon FireTV, SmartTVs, and many DLNA-compatible devices like XBOX
- Please note that as a third-party app, Tablo support cannot help troubleshoot Tablo via Plex
- NEW - Subscription status notifications
- Within the iOS, Android and web-based apps you’ll be able to monitor the status of your Tablo guide data subscription
- Subscription status for all users will show as ‘Active’ until our subscription store is up and running
- Stay tuned for more information about our subscription store and how to transition from your trial to a paid subscription
- Improvements to the web-based app including:
- Chromecast support for Chrome browser
- Skip forward, skip back and minimize player buttons
- Basic support for conflict resolution
- Improvements to the Roku channel including:
- Support for playback of manual recordings
- New app icon for easier identification
- Support for hidden WiFi SSIDs (web-based app and iOS only, Android coming soon)
- Faster series scheduling
- Tweaks to Tablo Connect for improved robustness
- Numerous other small tweaks and improvements based on your feedback
- Roku users - To obtain the newest load you will need to uninstall the old app manually by selecting “*” on your Roku remote when the channel is selected on the channel screen. Then re-add the Tablo channel by clicking this link and signing on to your Roku account via the web. This is a one-time only requirement. Moving forward you will receive automatic channel updates.
- Do not reset your Tablo during the update process - this can cause faults on your hard drive.
- When it is powered on, your Tablo checks every 4 hours to see if an update is available. To obtain the update immediately, check to make sure your Tablo is not recording and press and release the reset button once. This will cause Tablo to reset and check for a software update within 5 minutes.
- App updates for iOS, Android and Roku may take a few hours to appear.
- If you initialize a firmware update during a recording, this will cause your recording to fail. You can choose to delay the firmware update, but please try to keep your Tablo as up-to-date as possible to enjoy an optimal experience.
If you haven’t already heard, the 4-Tuner Tablo DVR is now generally available with next business day shipping both from our website and NewEgg.com. With the 4-Tuner you can record or watch up to FOUR channels simultaneously. More tuners = more flexibility… Read more about the difference between 2 and 4 tuners on our blog.
You may have heard that the United States Supreme court ruled a company called Aereo, which was distributing Over-the-Air HDTV signals via the internet, was doing so illegally. Since Tablo’s approach is different (the antenna, hardware and storage are all local to you) our product and Over-the-Air HDTV remains 100% legal in the United States and Canada. If you have any questions about this, feel free to reply to this email. If you know any Aereo users, please tell them about the awesome legal alternative - Tablo!
Tablo User Resources
As always, if you have a question about using your Tablo, or if you need some assistance, we’re here to help. At TabloTV.com/support you’ll find a full user guide, troubleshooting advice, a user community forum, access to support ticketing and more. You can also reach Tablo Support via Twitter (@TabloSupport).
The Tablo Team
P.S. - Remember to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for the latest Tablo news.