NEW Firmware Release (2.1.12)

Happy Monday Tablo Fans!

We hope you’re loving your Tablo! 

Things have been even busier than usual here at Tablo HQ. Over the last week or so, we’ve launched the awesome new 4-Tuner Tablo, spent time fielding questions about the Aereo Supreme Court ruling, and put the final touches on our newest firmware load. 

Keep reading for the full scoop… 

NEW Firmware Release (2.1.12)
A new firmware release is available for Tablo. Your iOS, Android and web-based apps will notify you of its availability and prompt you to install it. This release will require a one-time resynch of Tablo apps on all devices. 

This release contains:

• NEW - Support for manual recording
    • Set recordings by time/date/channel
    • Can be used by both subscribers and non-subscribers
    • Allows you to schedule recordings of live events like sports and awards shows that might run longer than the allotted time
  • NEW - Support for closed captioning (BETA)
    • iOS and Roku clients now have beta support for closed captioning (CC)
    • At this time, the web-based and Android apps do not have the infrastructure to support CC
    • As a beta feature, we’re still working out the kinks, so please let us know how we can make closed captioning on Tablo more awesome
  • NEW - Plex support
    • Tablo superfans known as @PiX64 & @DavidVR on the Tablo Communityawesomely volunteered to write a Plex app for Tablo
    • What does this mean? Well, through Plex software, you can now watch live TV and recorded Tablo content on even MORE devices including Amazon FireTV, SmartTVs, and many DLNA-compatible devices like XBOX 
    • Please note that as a third-party app, Tablo support cannot help troubleshoot Tablo via Plex
  • NEW - Subscription status notifications
    • Within the iOS, Android and web-based apps you’ll be able to monitor the status of your Tablo guide data subscription
    • Subscription status for all users will show as ‘Active’ until our subscription store is up and running
    • Stay tuned for more information about our subscription store and how to transition from your trial to a paid subscription
  • Improvements to the web-based app including:
    • Chromecast support for Chrome browser
    • Skip forward, skip back and minimize player buttons
    • Basic support for conflict resolution
  • Improvements to the Roku channel including:
    • Support for playback of manual recordings
    • New app icon for easier identification
  • Support for hidden WiFi SSIDs (web-based app and iOS only, Android coming soon)
  • Faster series scheduling
  • Tweaks to Tablo Connect for improved robustness 
  • Numerous other small tweaks and improvements based on your feedback
PLEASE NOTE:
  • Roku users - To obtain the newest load you will need to uninstall the old app manually by selecting “*” on your Roku remote when the channel is selected on the channel screen. Then re-add the Tablo channel by clicking this link and signing on to your Roku account via the web. This is a one-time only requirement. Moving forward you will receive automatic channel updates.
  • Do not reset your Tablo during the update process - this can cause faults on your hard drive.
  • When it is powered on, your Tablo checks every 4 hours to see if an update is available. To obtain the update immediately, check to make sure your Tablo is not recording and press and release the reset button once. This will cause Tablo to reset and check for a software update within 5 minutes.
  • App updates for iOS, Android and Roku may take a few hours to appear. 
  • If you initialize a firmware update during a recording, this will cause your recording to fail. You can choose to delay the firmware update, but please try to keep your Tablo as up-to-date as possible to enjoy an optimal experience.
4-Tuner Tablo Now Available
If you haven’t already heard, the 4-Tuner Tablo DVR is now generally available with next business day shipping both from our website and NewEgg.com. With the 4-Tuner you can record or watch up to FOUR channels simultaneously. More tuners = more flexibility… Read more about the difference between 2 and 4 tuners on our blog

On the Aereo Decision
You may have heard that the United States Supreme court ruled a company called Aereo, which was distributing Over-the-Air HDTV signals via the internet, was doing so illegally. Since Tablo’s approach is different (the antenna, hardware and storage are all local to you) our product and Over-the-Air HDTV remains 100% legal in the United States and Canada. If you have any questions about this, feel free to reply to this email. If you know any Aereo users, please tell them about the awesome legal alternative - Tablo! 

Tablo User Resources
As always, if you have a question about using your Tablo, or if you need some assistance, we’re here to help. At TabloTV.com/support you’ll find a full user guidetroubleshooting advicea user community forumaccess to support ticketing and more. You can also reach Tablo Support via Twitter (@TabloSupport).

Thank you!

The Tablo Team

P.S. - Remember to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for the latest Tablo news. 

That went smoothly. Awesome! Video seems to load quicker.

Do I push the reset or wait for the update to appear? Also, do I wait for the update before I update my Roku channel?

@napercort for the roku look at the above anouncement under the please note section for steps on how to update the roku

I updated the Roku first. I waited for the update to appear on my Andoid tablet. It was very fast. I did not reset. I only followed the instructions on the app.

I’m not getting prompted by my devices… What am I missing.

Nothing happened until I updated Roku, but I don’t think they are related.

I updated the Roku as directed on the announcement…but the app icon is the same as before. Is it different for anyone else?

It’s the same.

@crichardso I understand how to update the Roku app. That was not the question. The question was do I wait for the update for Tablo first.

@HarryR thanks… I just got my update (but am recording a show so I will wait a few min). Guess I will update Tablo then update Roku…I don’t want to do them at the same time or in reverse. To many issues with the last update so I am a little gunshy.

Here’s a dumb question… If the PLEX channel already working? I can’t figure out how to add the plugin in PLEX. I see Simple.TV but no Tablo.

Mine had a “Unable to find Tablo after reboot” error. Just clicked done and it found it. Then the sync started, syncs still take way too long.

@napercourt Good plan. I did it when I wasn’t recording anything.

I updated Roku first as it shouldn’t have any affect on Tablo, but do whatever works for you. When I removed the Roku channel and added it online, I didn’t see the Tablo icon right away, so I went into the Roku settings and did an update there. It worked instantly.

Same here my Roku icon looks the same on all my devices.  I removed the Tablo channel from all 4 rokus then followed the above link and reinstalled the channel.

Recordings in the iOS app no longer shows most of the names of the shows until you click on them and you get the popup. The images are there though. 

Same for the Web App…

The Roku app only shows the image for 1 of the shows. The same show that shows up with the name in the iOS app. Wrong Image maybe???

Edited to add @TabloTV FYI in here

Awesome update, loving all the new features, I also love the fact that my Tablo appears to be catching ALL available channels on my area, not just those with provided Guide Data which is awesome.

I don't see a way to do the Manual Recordings, am I missing something? what does "Support for manual recording" means exactly and is it supposed to work on the Roku? I thought that meant that if I'm watching a Live Channel and just decide to start recording the program I would be able to.

Love the Support for closed captioning even though is Beta and finally allowing us to set recordings by time/date/channel, that's sweet as it greatly helps solving recording conflicts and undesired recordings etc.

Thumbs up to the TabloTV Team, keep up the good work, I will be testing and reporting any issues I find.

Firmware update on Tablo went smoothly (updating via Android Tablet).

Uninstalled Roku App (v 1.0, b6).  Installed new Roku App v 1.1, b8) no problem.  To check your build number, open the Tablo channel, then press *.

No problems after 2 hours.  Great job Tablo!

Excellent update. Everything went smooth on my iPad download. Seems to work much better than the previous version. Thanks

I finally found where manual recordings can be set up, but it really needs to be more obvious.

If you go to the Scheduling page on the interface, there is a plus sign at the top left corner.  You click on it to bring up the manual recordings setup.

I do really like that you can name it anything you want.