Network help please

OK network guru’s.

As I posted in another thread I upgraded my router to the new Netgear Nighthawk for my office. I want to use my old router to extend my wireless signal range to the garage (farthest spot from the office).

I will connect the old router to a Ethernet port in the garage that goes back to the new router with a TP-Link 10/100/1000 switch in between the port in the garage and the new router. I use all Cat 6 cable.

I am a bit confused on which option I need to implement. The linked article explains the following options:

Cascade LAN to LAN
Cascade WAN to LAN
Second (Old) router set to Bridge Mode.

If all I want to do is extend my wireless signal to the garage which is the best option?

You want LAN to LAN.  Disable all features on the old router (DHCP, firewall, etc…)  Leave only the wireless network features on.  Typically you use the exact same SSID as your wireless setup on the main router but choose a different CHANNEL.

If you plan on using 5 GHz and 2.4GHz at the same time I recommend using one SSID for 5 GHz and a different one for 2.4 GHz.   I just spell my SSID backwards for the 5GHz range.

@luker Thank You!!!

I have have my SSID’s named Get your own WIFI 2.4 and Get your own WIFI 5. :slight_smile:

Setting the old router to bridge mode should disable everything except the Wifi access point features.  The term “cascade” in routers implies that both routers are functioning as routers.  This works, but requires extensive setup and care that your routing rules do not create loops.  It is something best left to the pros, IMO. 

I have a similar setup to what you are attempting.  My main router is connected by Ethernet cable to my secondary router.  The secondary router is set up in bridge mode (all services except access point disabled).  Cisco recommends best practice to give the second access point a unique SSID (that way you know what you are connected to) and to use a different WiFi channel to minimize interference.  The channel should be at least 3 channels separated (e.g. if your main is on channel 3, then use channel 7 or higher for the secondary).  I even set up different passcodes for both access points WPA2 encryption.

good luck!

I just plugged in a Cisco AP in my shop.  

My router in the house (Netgear 2200D) has 4 switch ports. 
One of those is connected to my Cisco switch downstairs via nearly whole-house Cat 5e cable system I put in a few years ago. (I used to wire commercial buildings for communication and networking)
From there I have a 150’ network cable run underground to my shop building. In my shop I have a 110 block and connected to my Wireless AP on a shelf about 12’ above the floor. It covers the whole shop nicely.
Single router in the house connected to a switch, switch port to cable run to shop, cable terminates at a 110, plugged cable into the 110 block RJ45 jack and to my AP on the shelf. I can run a notebook, phone data or anything back to the main house router. Simple as heck. 
I figured I only needed 1 router. My shop AP is protected by security and a MAC address list. (and since it a double-wall steel building no one outside can get the signal)

Of course you will have to manually configure the IP of the second router as well.

Say the Netgear is 192.168.0.1, then make the Linksys 192.168.0.2 from it’s default of 192.168.1.1.

With the DCHP off on the Linksys all devices wirelessly connected to it will get an IP from the Netgear.

Good point @theuser86.  I should have mentioned that.  Can’t have IP conflicts.

With the DCHP off on the Linksys all devices wirelessly connected to it will get an IP from the Netgear.
@theuser86 That's what I want.

The article for bridge mode is pretty straight forward and did cover setting the IP of the Linksys (bridge) to the Netgear IP plus 1.

@ddd671 I will also do the separate by 3 channel setup and unique SSID's.