My tablo melted

my tablo melted
blue light keeps blinking

Post pictures. I would like to see what a melted tablo looks like.

This is extremely unusual.

Given Tablo’s very low voltage, it would take a significant amount of time in an unventilated location for the Tablo to get hot enough for it to melt. In fact, in our own testing, we’ve only managed to reproduce this by enclosing the Tablo in a very small space and artificially raising the temperature - effectively creating an oven to house the Tablo device.

That’s why it’s important for the Tablo to be placed in a ventilated area so that it can disperse heat properly using the heat sink.

We’ve touched base directly with the original poster to confirm details about his setup and the operating environment of the Tablo and will be inspecting the unit in question to understand why this happened.

And, for anyone else who has concerns, let me reiterate that Tablo DVRs are constructed from fire retardant materials and even when operating well outside of normal parameters, does not pose any danger.

I have mine on top of AC Infinity MULTIFAN S3, Quiet 120mm USB Fan and in open space, fan is on the lowest setting does a good job keeping the tablo cool.

I put an old cpu heatsink under mine. Does the trick.

That is a heck of a product. It melts but the LEDs keep on working - must be like Arnold in the Terminator movie.

Maybe it’s not really dead but all it needs is a new power supply.

I put those little half/bubble skid pads from home depot on mine to raise it slightly. Nice and cool ever since.

I believe the Tablo Support Team and realize the hardware was designed by professionals who take all of these things into consideration. BUT … just because if feels so hot to me (personally), I’m more comfortable in providing some (primitive) relief of my own. Inexpensive piece of mind. I use a household trivet, to keep airflow beneath it.

I haven’t been back behind that cabinet since the day I installed my Tablo, but have bought a very nice one (from Bed, Bath and Beyond) to replace this. Next time I get back there, I’ll “install” it and return this one to my ex girlfriend.

The Tablo Turtle… could be an official product.

1 Like

The right tool for the right job.

Your ex girlfriend seems to play a large part in your life. I have a friend who whenever he has a problem with his wife goes back to his ex wife for advice…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Concerns about heat aren’t limited to tablo.

When I installed a Roku 2 (4210) on an all natural wood media shelve, it left a heat imprint of the Roku 2 hockey puck.

Different “ex”, but I’m happy to say I’ve always had excellent and amicable relationships with ex-es. Which is great, because in this case, it helps save my Tablo from melting.

That is scary. Something like that would never occur to me. Wow.

That’s why I tend to avoid placing certain of these electronic devices directly on glass surfaces.

I’m sure that all the glass in these TV stands are of the highest standards. As good or better then Pyrex.