Lolipop update problems

@oldmike Yep, Chromecast is part of the plan. Also, @Pundit is correct - just tap on the channel ID to start playing live TV.

Oh; on the grid view.  Works fine.

Any updates on the app update compatability? The new web based app would be OK if it could chromecast AND do the “fast forard” 30sec. Seems very lacking at this point. 

and to follow up, better android compatability across the board would be nice. I loved the app for my Nexus 7 (when it worked) with how it organized the shows by date recorded, i could fast forward and rewind by 30 sec intervals, and chromecast. Then came 5.0 which made the app useless and the web app isnt any better. I still have to go through the chrome browers to get chromecast to work, and a cluttered listings when looking at my recordings.

I wish that more time was spent on android (specially knowing the marketshare that Android has) veruses apple. The apple apps are very polished that it makes it look like the android app was hacked together.

-End of rant

Sorry, just frustrated, but I am not alone on these feelings. I have given 3 as gifts and all 3 people say the same things (2 stopped using their Tablos because of these issues).

@Kovs I agree. Just my opinion and many kudos to the Tablo Dev team, the big stumbling block to Android and Chromecast stability and compatibility is because Tablo uses HLS streaming. HLS was created by Apple and optimized for Apple devices.
Apple has submitted Internet Draft to the IETF & has submitted occasional minor updates to the draft, no additional steps have been taken towards IETF standardization. Thus why should anyone besides Apple dedicate any resources to HLS when it isn’t a real standard with zero guarantee that a change or a differing interpretation of the non-finalized draft from Apple doesn’t bite you in the ass.
Netflix, Hulu, YouTube and many other large streaming providers recently began to utilize the IETF standard MPEG-DASH. Unfortunately it wasn’t an option when the Tablo began it’s development.
Fortunately, MPEG-DASH could be implemented using the same encoded files and even has an open source solution (libdash https://github.com/bitmovin/libdash)
Unfortunately Tablo has a lot of blood and sweat invested in the current build and it will probably require a ton of resources to implement DASH and get it smoothed out.
Crossing my fingers that whatever framework is used 12 months from there will one day be flawless Android/Chromecast usability.

Tablo shouldn’t be claiming Android and Chromecast compatibility at the current state of development.

@ChrisWilkes, not to be a jerk or anything, but if you take a look at this you can see the supported Servers and usage…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_Live_Streaming

Specifically,
Google added HTTP Live Streaming support in Android Honeycomb and later.

And here also http://developer.android.com/about/versions/android-3.0-highlights.html
So google has supported it for quite some time.

Also https://developers.google.com/cast/docs/player

They also support HLS and DASH 

@Jestep didn’t intended to imply that HLS isn’t supported. Was just giving my opinion that I believe HLS is not a priority for Google/Android/Chromecast and will never be because it lacks an industry standard and can change at the whim of Apple.

Why did the Tablo developers have to create a web app that side loads an alternative player in order to get it to play on Android devices that “Support” HLS?

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/list?can=2&q=hls

An Android developer’s own words, "
HLS is not something we use in our own Android products, so our HLS testing is not robust."
Issue 70877 comment 73

Tablo isn’t the only one hitting the wall with Android and HLS.

Again much praise for the Tablo developers for getting it to work as well as it does.

@TabloSupport Any updates?

OK, Tablo.  So, right now - Tablo works on neither of our two tablets (Samsung Galaxy 7 and a Nexus 7) which means the only way we can use the product is AT HOME on Roku.  We can’t access our DVR when travelling or at our weekend place. 

Really? 

If I had this decision to do all over again, I would not have purchased my Tablo.  It obviously is not ready for Android - and we are an Android household.

End of rant.

@AggieDave

We can try to help you. There are 3 different ways you can access the Tablo on Android.

1. Android app for tablets (for tablets with at least 7" screens)
  2. Android web app (for use with smartphones but can work on the tablets)
  3. Using the Chrome browser and accessing the my.tablotv.com site

Have you tried all 3 ways? And none work locally? You only mentioned remotely.

@ChrisWilkes  -  I share your concerns for HLS on Android devices.   While MPEG2-DASH would seem to be preferable for the reason you state, the current Android web browser app does appear to work seamlessly with the separate player installed during setup.     

My 2013 Nexus 7 running 5.01. Lollipop and Tablo 4-Tuner seem to be working fine together through the native Android app and Tablo TV 2.1.18 firmware.

My 2013 Nexus 7 running 5.01. Lollipop and Tablo 4-Tuner seem to be working fine together through the native Android app and Tablo TV 2.1.18 firmware.

Yup… My Nexus 6 with 5.01 seems to be running just fine too… I just can’t cast my screen to the tv or amazon fire tv.