Just got Tablo 2, very unstable, NOT HAPPY

I have, and no, Tablo works better for my needs. I can see how TiVo would be a better fit for some, but it’s not the better option for everyone.

And no, none of my Tablo’s have cooling fans. Old or new.

I have three units. I have cooling fans as a precaution, but they have never overheated and/or failed. Tablo is the best solution for me and many others, although maybe not for all . . .

Did I said I could not make it to wor?. I said over heating. How I know? because when you touch and is hot then you know is hot. And don’t forget that inside temperature can be 50% higher than outside. And when something overheats then you have problems.

Unfortunately, hot to your touch doesn’t mean much.
At what temperature does your touch mean something is too hot?
Do you know what the operating temperature range is for a Tablo?

Is just like asking what freezing is.
There is a different warm and hot. Cold and Freezing. Hot means Hot.
My TV is warm, My blu ray is warm, My Receiver is Warm My TABLO was HOT…

Hot is a relative term.
I like my coffee hot, and so does my wife.
However, my hot coffee is at 156F, but her’s is at 140F.
What was the temperature of your Tablo?

My temperatures…
Measured with Raytek MT6 Non-contact MiniTemp Infrared Thermometer…
Horizontal postion = 114F on bottom (hottest point)
Vertical position = 94F on bottom (hottest point)

Inspired me to break out my infrared thermo…My 4 Tuner is a lot hotter than your Tablo though:
Vertical position (they way I’ve kept it since new) is 129.6…so pretty darn hot, but I’ve had no issues to speak of with my unit - certainly none that I’d attribute to over-heating.

1 Like

Interesting.
Is your Tablo hardwired, or wireless.
Mine is hardwired.
Also, my temperature readings were for my Tablo Dual.
I just measured my Tablo Quad, which stands verticaly, and it’s temperature at the hottest point is 105F.

My Tablo is wired ethernet. I checked Tablo’s official statement on temp, and they say the 4 Tuner will run about 125F…so I’m not off that mark be too much. They also note the 4 Tuner runs hotter than the 2 Tuner (they state 118F).

https://www.tablotv.com/blog/how-warm-should-my-tablo-be/

@Radojevic, @ChrisFix… you guys ever get disconnected/dropped signal having it wired?Hardwired meaning all your player devices & Tablo unto your routers? Mine is wireless and I do get dropped but not too often… First time the other day, it’s about a month from the last dropped… I just want to compare… coz’ I read some people here too that even hardwired it still dropped… Thanks!

Do you mean dropping the ethernet connection or the OTA signal? I haven’t had either of those issues, but I had some random Tablo lock-ups requiring the power cord to be pulled to get it reset, but I believe those were related to the firmware I was on.

Like @ChrisFix, I’ve had my hardwired Roku disconnect from my hardwired Tablo, which is on the same network switch, in 2 cases:

1. Tablo hung, requiring a power cycle.
  2. Tablo crashed, and rebooted itself.

My wireless Roku only disconnects under the same criteria.

Gotcha… mine happened when i was using ipad for awhile and it idled… then just couldnt connect anymore and the rest of my fireTV also… had to disconnect tablo and back in… all good again

@ChrisFix, @Radojevic… Thank you… what you’re experiencing is about more or less am experiencing also… I hope it gets better connectivity next time around on updates…

@j0nTblo Hopefully it will get better. One of the bugs that Tablo said they squashed was the random lock-up that didn’t respond to the reset button (blue button on back of Tablo) and required a power pull.
I’ve actually installed a remotely controllable outlet that my Tablo is plugged into so I can power cycle it if it locks up and I’m on the road for a couple of weeks. Now that it’s installed it will probably never lock up again!

1 Like

I got a WeMo Insight for my mom’s Tablo Dual for that same reason.
However, there’s a different lock up than an entire system lock up.
A tuner can be stuck on a streaming segment, when a channel’s signal gets corrupted.
One of my channel’s fades in and out of good quality, and the tuner on that channel during Live TV, or recording gets stuck perodically.
The last streamed segment, around 6 seconds worth, will loop over and over again.
The only way to unstick that tuner is to reboot the Tablo.
Briefly pressing the reset button will do it.
Very annoying.

I’ve never experienced that particular error, but I have great reception on all my channels. I am aware that the tuner looping problem exists as I’ve seen a number of different folks talk about it on the forum - and another reason to have an IoT outlet for our Tablos!

1 Like

I’ve seen this around the forums too and it seems it is not “seen” as a bug to be fixed by a firmware update. But rather an issue with poor signal quality.

My laptop’s cpu thermal throttled yesterday for the first time, so it got me thinking.
It was 86F inside my house.
House temperature has typically been 20F lower since I bought this laptop.

It got me thinking about ambient temperature, and its affect on device temperatures.
Currently, my house temperature is 68F.
My Tablo Quad temperature is now 95F, compared to 105F yesterday.
Oooooooo.
The plot thickens. :slight_smile:

I have a very accurate digital thermometer and a ribbon probe. NOT infrared, which isn’t very accurate. This is certainly within ± 2 degrees, probably better. (I use it to measure pan surface temperature for cooking.)

On the 4-tuner model, I measure 122F on the top of the front “lip” on the 4-tuner model. That seems to be the hottest part.