Is There An Actual Group Of Beta Testers

Bruh… awkward flex there. Not doubting your creds. Not even being a hater here.

Not even gonna respond to your flex there. This is internet drama that I’m disagreeing with your opinion. Thats all.

I have owned 3 DVR’s prior to the Tablo 4th gen and there was testing of these products by in house testers BEFORE the DVR was sold. I never saw any requests for Beta testers. It was also very obvious the testers must have been in the US because the kind of issues I see with the Tablo are evidence of very little US testing.

I would agree that there seems to be more in the way of tuners for ATSC 3.0 that are coming out that early adopters seem to actually in Beta testing mode for these companies . However if you read the forums for these devices you will see a lot of angst regarding how bad these products are performing. People are sending them back or shutting them down. They are getting lots of updates too because the products fail to live up to hype and owner expectation that they pay good money and expect a product to perform as advertised.

The Tablo 4th gen likewise DOES NOT perform as advertised for all of us owners.

That’s a bit more of a waterfall approach. Alpha, while still primarily internal, isn’t quite as clear cut in Agile methodology when the customer is involved much earlier in the development cycle.

If you want to have Beta testers then do it before general product sales and give the devices to a handful of beta testers for free.

You might also want to provide open source code for the firmware and software so it could be fixed faster by a vast number of experts and ported back for testing.

It is very common to use Beta testers outside the dev community to get a broader set of environments to test in including by those less familiar users. It’s a great idea.

What I have learned is we are all Beta Testers of the Tablo.

It’s a pretty good earlyish stage product but I was expecting the Apple TV client to work when I bought it. Hopefully we get that client in the next few months.

The issue is that they don’t appear to have an effective mechanism for testing and feedback. Ideally, there should be tasks assigned and a structured way to collect feedback.

So it’s what you’re saying the Apple TV beta is out? I applied to join but I haven’t heard anything yet. How long ago did you get the AppleTV 4th gen app for Tablo?

There are separate beta testing channels where this are discussed and problem-solved an and where TabloTV is very active.

We are informed of things they are looking into and what they’d like us to test, so they can try to account for as many variances as possible. These are then discussed in those separate threads.

2 Likes

Offhand, I’m not sure how long the Apple TV beta has been out and available for us to explore. I did get in very shortly after and have occasionally used it. It’s not my main device but I do make sure to check out new releases as well as try to duplicate things others are experiencing (this goes for all platforms as well).

@TabloTV seems to add new beta testers about once a week, so if you’ve only just applied, give it a few days. I suppose you could also DM them to make sure they have your application and that everything was filled out correctly if it’s been a long time. Or, try posting that question in the sign-up thread.

1 Like

I don’t know if I’m a beta tester per se. Yes, users do find some strange things going on. Sometimes it’s the Tablo, the app or the hardware (Roku, Chromecast, etc). If you think you are a beta tester and don’t want to be one then return the product for a refund if you are in the return window. Problem solved.

Thanks, I’ll check it out.

They run this business like a hobby…

1 Like