iPhone 6 Plus

@TabloSupport Any update?

@thebellenir Sorry, no update! We’ve tracked this down to an iOS bug with Apple, and it’s been logged with them since.

So, we’re just waiting on an update from them. In the meantime, Chrome seems to work without any issues.

Wow, just wow.

@TabloTV and @TabloSupport, I’ve been patient, invested money and am now paying a monthly subscription. This is unacceptable. I can’t upgrade an OS on the primary device for which a native app is available and I am constantly being directed towards work arounds with other devices. I regret that I didn’t realize there was not a native app for phones, and further regret assuming your product would continue to work at the same level through device and OS changes. I am so glad I decided against paying the lifetime subscription fee, because the support from Tablo just doesn’t cut it. 

Maybe Chrome works “without any issues”, but this isn’t saying much. Even using this version, the sync time is unforgivable, and it cannot run in the background as a native app could. 

Working native tablet AND phone apps for iOS is not asking for the moon here. They better be on the way soon, or I’m gonna scrap the Tablo…this product was not ready for prime time. 

I guess the fact that Apple totally screwed up and screwed you is simply not posssible?

@thebellenir - We admit that we misjudged the amount of people who would be interested in watching TV on their phones. This is why we didn’t apply engineering resources to creating native apps for smartphones in the beginning. 

Today we’re working very hard on making improvements to the primary way that our users access Tablo recordings - the Roku - as well as working to add to and improve the experience for other ‘living room’ type scenarios. 

That being said, we recognize that not having a downloadable app for smartphones has been frustrating. This is why, while we wait for resources to become available to create native apps for smaller screens, we have taken the initiative to morph our web app into something that will be downloadable from app stores and will play nicely with smartphones. You can read more about it here and we’ll let you know when they’re available: https://www.tablotv.com/press/tablo-announces-smartphone-web-apps/
I guess the fact that Apple totally screwed up and screwed you is simply not posssible?

No, it’s not, @cjcox. I bought into a product that was advertised to work with specific hardware and software, and I admitted it was my responsibility for not realizing there was not a native phone app, and I decided to be patient and wait and be willing to deal with different customer experiences on different devices.

However, supporting a product through device and OS changes so the experience didn’t decline from where it was shouldn’t have been an issue, as device specs and iOS 8 for beta testing were available well ahead of launch. Not sure if you’re just taking a shot at a Mac/Apple user because you want to try and look cool, but maybe you should take a count of the problem threads on these forums that are non iOS or Apple device related versus those that are, and I think that should tell you all you need to know.

@thebellenir - We admit that we misjudged the amount of people who would be interested in watching TV on their phones. This is why we didn't apply engineering resources to creating native apps for smartphones in the beginning. Today we're working very hard on making improvements to the primary way that our users access Tablo recordings - the Roku - as well as working to add to and improve the experience for other 'living room' type scenarios. That being said, we recognize that not having a downloadable app for smartphones has been frustrating. This is why, while we wait for resources to become available to create native apps for smaller screens, we have taken the initiative to morph our web app into something that will be downloadable from app stores and will play nicely with smartphones. You can read more about it here and we'll let you know when they're available: https://www.tablotv.com/press/tablo-announces-smartphone-web-apps/

@TabloTV, this is great news and I’m looking forward to trying it out.

With that said, I want to provide some clarification as to why Apple/iOS users want a native phone app:

The reason is that it will make the Tablo experience seamless, replicating the customer experience regardless of the device being used or whether one is watching on a small or big screen.

If I am at home and someone is using the tablet or it isn’t handy, I should be able to reach into my pocket, pull up a stream and AirPlay it to the big screen if so desired. It’s not just because I want to watch on a smaller screen. Its great that the stated strategy is focusing on a customer segment that uses a Roku, but you guys are so freaking close to an unbelievable experience via iOS and Apple TV it’s maddening to read where you are focusing your resources. Tablo has an opportunity to not just capture more of the cord cutting market, but actually grow the number of cord cutters that exist in that market.

Regardless, I’ll stick for a while longer and I hope the downloadable web app moves iOS/Apple users towards a more seamless experience. Thanks.

@thebellenir - Thanks for your feedback. We wish we had unlimited dev resources so we could have chosen both Roku and phone apps to be our priorities over the next few months but it wasn’t possible. 

We appreciate you sticking by us as we work towards full native support for smartphones. 

@btroester check the appstore today.  iPhone app was just released!!!

Any real reason why you have both a iPhone and an IPad app instead of just a universal iOS app? Also I notice that airplay is selectable from the iPad app but not the iPhone app. I can still airplay with the iOS app with mirroring but this is not the preferred method as it ties up the iPhone screen for being used for multitasking.
Thanks,
Bob

@BobW, the Tablo folks don’t have a universal iOS app because of the vast difference in screen size between the iPad and the iPhones that were out back in early 2014.

So the Tablo folks created the iPad app (which was the most fully featured Tablo app for quite a while) and had iPhone users use Safari. Later on, the web app was created to make it easier to use on the iPhone.

The purpose of a universal iOS app is to be able to write one app for all screen sizes and to have the same look and feel across all iOS devices for your app. The ability to use universal iOS applications has been available since 2010.