I pulled the trigger!

I bought a 4 tuner Tablo and (3) Roku3’s.  I also bought a compatible 2tb hard drive.  This weekend I will put the antenna up and install all the goodies!  Looking forward to seeing how this all works out!

Thanks for your purchase @stugpanzer! We hope you  :x your Tablo!

Wow, when you pull the plug, you pull the plug. Most of us got the antenna and made sure we were happy with OTA before buying all the hardware.

I already had a Roku2 but I feel confident I will like OTA.  My wife is the one I have to convince so having all the toys in place and ME using them around her will hopefully make her take notice!

I will be asking a bunch of questions I’m sure but I am looking forward to getting it all setup!

When I set it up, how long is the full guide available before I need to subscribe?

30 days

Glad to hear it. But I really recommend you get the OTA antenna up and running with strong signal before delving into the Tablo.

Glad to hear it. But I really recommend you get the OTA antenna up and running with strong signal before delving into the Tablo.

That’s my plan.  Supposed to be warmer here this weekend (upper 30’s lower 40’s…you know short sleeve weather!) so I will have the antenna up then!

Wow, when you pull the plug, you pull the plug. Most of us got the antenna and made sure we were happy with OTA before buying all the hardware.

Yea … I experimented with a few antennas and got a really horrible cheap OTA “tuner/dvr+usb” chinese no name brand box (I really hate to even call it a dvr since it was really awful at that task) Once I got the antenna situation locked down , then got the TABLO (though I did try a competitors version which was again a really horrid experience) … from there once I realized my appleTV’s weren’t going to cut the muster (using an iOS device to play back content wasnt going to float in our house) I then picked up some Roku3’s off of Woot.com … its a great combo (that and the PLEX server I already had setup before cutting)

Welcome to the Tablo family stugpanzer!

@stugpanzer - Welcome to the community.  I responded to your PM.  Glad to help with whatever you need.  Just shoot me a pm.

Antenna is up so tomorrow I will spend some time routing the cable from the attic down and getting the Tablo connected.  I also need to run one dedicated ethernet cable to one of my Roku’s so I can have the Tablo and Roku’s all on the same subnet.

I thought I heard a loud bang coming from the direction of Chicago - then I see a post “I pulled the trigger”. Here I was watching the news, wondering who shot who.

LOL @ShadowsPapa!

So…Antenna is up, Cable is run, Tablo is up
and running.  Thanks to Pix64 (who is within about 5 miles from me) for
questions answered!  I am not quite getting all the channels I want but
that will be part of this new hobby!  I believe it is a limitation of
the antenna I am using but for now it is fine. 

My two initial critiques (very minor) after just over 24 hours of the Tablo running and my using it:

1)
When choosing to record something there is the REC (or REC ALL or REC
NEW) icon that changes color from grey to (I guess) orange which makes
sense.  I think it would be a touch more intuitive if when selected,
instead of turning orange, re-word the icon to say UN-SELECT or CANCEL REC or something like that.

2)
I ‘struggled’ with Live TV on my Android device (Sony Xperia Z3v
Smartphone) where I could not figure out how to play live tv.  Pix64
gave me the answer!  I was selecting the actual show instead of the
actual channel  of course when you choose the show, the only option is
to record.  I didn’t realize I should have chosen the actual channel to
stream live tv.  This is because I am a DirecTV customer and their DVR
works as I was trying to do.

Again…both minor and now that I know about them, it is no issue for me!

Thank
you Tablo for such a wonderful device!  The Roku’s are working
perfectly with the Tablo as well as all my computers, my Android Tablet
and my Smartphone!

What router are you using for it all?

I am using an ASUS RT-AC87U.

What antenna are you using?  The best I have found so far for an indoor antenna is the Mohu Leaf 50 which is amplified.  I got another antenna yesterday, not amplified and while it does ok, I DO NOT get get.tv or Escape with it.  Their towers must be a little further out.  They are 62-3 and 62.4 in Austin, TX. 

I have an Antenna called the Orca Impulse Rotational Outdoor TV Antenna (Item # orca-impulse-AX909-V2) which I bought from digitalhdsource.com

I live about 60 miles west/SW of Chicago.  I am able to get 49 channels but I am missing WBBM (2) and WMAQ (5) but as I said before…I will be working through that as part of my new hobby!

You could call the two stations and ask them where their antenna is.  Where the station is is not important, but where their TOWER is is VERY important.

You could call the two stations and ask them where their antenna is.  Where the station is is not important, but where their TOWER is is VERY important.

I have that info and I believe I have it aimed properly.  Thanks!

Have you been to http://www.antennaweb.org

It will let you know what type of antenna you need for which channels.  You might need an antenna for stations further away.