I have a need for speed

New user here, can anyone explain why it takes so long to load any content (live or recorded)? Cable DVR is virtually instantaneous. Tablo takes longer than any other Roku channel to load content. Are any of the other streaming platforms (Apple TV, Amazon,etc) any faster? Any tips on speeding things up?

Roku is definitely the slower than Android TV, and PC in my experience. However, it shouldnt take more than about 5 seconds to start any recording even on Roku.

What router are you using? Is the Tablo wired to the router or wireless? Is the Roku wired or wireless? Which Roku model? What quality are you recording at?

1 Like

Which generation Roku do you have? My older Roku 2 took a very long time to load content or fast-forward. My Roku 3s (both generations) and my 2015 Roku 2 (4210R) load content in less than 2 seconds.

I used Roku 3, both the 2014 and 2015 model. My Shield and Nexus Player loaded content much faster than the Roku, under the same network conditions. Recordings usually start within 1 second for me, and instant resume from FF. Everything is wireless under the highest recording quality.

I’m recording at 5 Mbps, using a ~2 year old Roku 2, still using the Xfinity Arris modem router, Tablo is hard wired Roku is wireless (no hard wire option) and ~2’ from the router. I’m considering replacing the Xfinity modem/router with a NETGEAR N300 Wi-Fi DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Router (C3000). If that will speed things up then I’ll replace the Xfinity unit sooner rather than later. Yes, content loads much faster on computer (via wi fi). Seems like maybe the Roku is the weak link.

I think you have the right idea to replace your router, but I don’t think that would be the best choice. That router is only 802.11n, which is an older and slower standard compared to the newer 802.11AC. You don’t want to buy another piece of equipment with the potential to bottleneck network performance.

I would recommend buying this TP-Link Archer C7, reviewed by TheWirecutter.com to be the best router you can buy for most people. It also has the 5GHz wifi capability which drastically increases speed over shorter ranges. I have owned one myself for about 6 months and it has made a massive difference in wireless performance on all my devices. Right now it’s $100 new on Amazon, but I’m sure there are some gently used ones for less.

TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750 Dual Band Wireless AC Gigabit Router, 2.4GHz 450Mbps+5Ghz 1300Mbps, 2 USB Ports, IPv6, Guest Network https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BUSDVBQ/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_VXu9wbDVBSDWV

Is your current modem DOCSIS 2.0 or 3.0?

1 Like

Current modem is DOCSIS 3.0. Given the acceptable load speeds via computer I’m thinking the router isn’t the bottleneck. Seems like upgrading or replacing the Roku is the way to go. Thanks to all you guys for the feedback.

Keep the current modem, put it in bridge mode. Get a new router. The TP-Link one is great for WiFi.

1 Like