How to force 5 ghz network?

Do NOT disable your smart connect feature as some have recommended. “There is a much better way, that doesn’t require you to disable a great feature of your router.”
If you wish to force any device to use a specific band, then simply apply a “Wireless MAC Filter” rule to deny the device on any bands you don’t wish it to connect to.

The following instructions are relevant to Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.378_7838

1. Look under “Advanced Settings” on the left side, click “Wireless”,
  • Click the forth tab at the top titled “Wireless MAC Filter”.
  • Under “Basic Config - Band” area click the drop-down and choose 2.4Ghz
  • Click “yes” next to “Enable MAC Filter”
  • Change “MAC Filter Mode” to “Accept” (this means the router will accept all connections except specific devices which you add below)
  • Click the drop-down in the “Client’s MAC address” area and find the device in
    question, click it thereby selecting it, then click the “+” symbol to the right to add it to the list.
  • Click “Apply”

Following the above will deny the device from connecting to the 2.4Ghz band thereby forcing it to connect to the 5Ghz band.

1 Like

TabloSupport : >> This menu doesn’t look like this anymore !!!
That RED arrow you have pointing to the upper-right corner that says “Edit” doesn’t exist !
I tried this on both my Arch laptop, running Chromium, and the wife’s WIN-7, running Chrome.
Please, I implore anyone out there to try this to make sure I’m not on Cloud-9 or something.
Is there anyone out there who can swap easily between 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz ?

I got my 802.11 AC Extender in, and can’t make my Tablo connect to it’s 5.0GHz band.

this was very helpful thanks! with 2.4gz set to “accept” with the 1 device i want on 5 listed, nothing would connect to 2.4. I changed it to “reject” and all the 2.4’s showed back up, and the 1 device listed was forced onto 5.

Thanks!