How to cut the cord and get virtually everything you want

Sling TV is now up to 20 channels (the new 6 that are coming includes AMC and should be available soon.

@7up, yes you are confused it is a Roku 3 (not 3 Rokus). Roku 3 is the name of a specific modle. Although ironically I do have 3 of them in my house. My out of pocket costs for initial setup were a lot higher but for someone who is on a budget they can get those costs down a bit.

My latest stupid adventure is to get a 150 mile antenna (next month) and see if I can get all the local channels from Maryland up to Philadelphia on the Tablo. People call me the Tool Time Guy for cutting the cord now at work LOL!

@Lothos 150 mile antenna, what brand?

Was recommended from TV Fool website which is where Consumer Reports point you to for Antenna recommendations.

http://www.spectrumantenna.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SP613&Click=564

HBO/ Showtime free for 12 months ?   and Invite for Sling ?  I have the sling app in Roku but haven’t tried it yet but says 7 day free trial.

HBO/ Showtime free for 12 months ?   and Invite for Sling ?  I have the sling app in Roku but haven't tried it yet but says 7 day free trial.

Yes since I “TECHNICALL” still have cable but only local channels I can pay for any cable channel I want. Verizon was offering new customers 2 years of free HBO and Showtime if you took their local cable package with at least 50/50 internet speeds. Since HBO has HBO GO and Showtime has Showtime Anytime, both can be played on the ROKU and do not need a cable box.

So I can watch Game of Thrones :slight_smile:

Someone has finally done it:

Single box Kodi DVR

Someone has finally done it:

I am confused, Doesn’t Tablo already do this and works with the Roku?

Nothing to be confused about, add up the costs like you just did and compare features.   

MythTV also does what that Kodi link above does. Nothing really new there. Lots of options if you are willing to tinker and maintain yourself.

I’ve given up on that and gone the appliance route fully knowing there will be limitations.

MythTV also does what that Kodi link above does. Nothing really new there. Lots of options if you are willing to tinker and maintain yourself.

I’ve given up on that and gone the appliance route fully knowing there will be limitations.

Nothing really new?    Does MythTV run on a single device without a backend server PC?    

It’s just a piece of code that can runs on anything, Rapberry PI being an example.  If the OS of the device is Linux, Mac or Windows based people have installed on it.  Out of the box it supports connecting to HomeRun HD boxes, or if you have a PC many many tuner cards.

@7up you do realize that an Android Box is just a mini-PC with a pretty logo on it right?

You said there was “Nothing really new there” so I will ask again, does MythTV run on a single “appliance” box as shown in the video or does MythTV require a backend server PC, yes or no?    I am not aware of any applicances running MythTV so I’d love to hear about it.  

MythTV will run on any hardware that has a supported operating system.  As stated above.   

And Android TV box is just a MiniPC with an Android OS on it.  Pick any mini-PC you want and install MythBuntu on it and you are done.  So yes it runs as a single “appliance” device.  Connect your HomeRun HD, a USB hard drive (or internal) and start recording to your hearts content.

Or even better yet, buy a $30 RasperryPI install XBMC on it, connect a hard drived and it will front end your HomeRun HD, exactly the same way as that video shows.

There are literally half a dozen ways of doing what is shown in that video.
@7up you do realize that an Android Box is just a mini-PC with a pretty logo on it right?

@lurker, you do realize that a Tablo is just a mini-PC with a pretty logo on it right?

@7up Tablo isn’t as it is not a multi-purpose platform.   You can’t connect a keyboard and mouse to it, you can’t install other software packages on it.  It is a single purpose device.  Well until someone hacks the firmware and allows you to install whatever you can on the onboard ROM.

@7up don’t take my word for it…here is a good article about the Android TV options out there.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/android-tv-boxes-what-are-they-and-what-can-they-do/

You continue to dodge the question which we both already know the answer.   MythTV is a backend server package.   Sure you could use your PC also as the front end but that would hardly qualify as an applicance unless you are using a NUC.   MythTV will not function properly as backend on a less than 100 dollar Android box or RasperryPi and I’d be surprised if anyone has bothered trying.   The video shows a single small appliance box functioning as DVR with network tuner no PC backend server required.      

I did not dodge the question. You can install both the “backend” piece which is just the capture portion and the “frontend” piece which is just the display portion all on one box.  Most implementations of Myth run this way.

As stated above people have run these on Raspberry PI, so no magic here.
http://planetgary.blogspot.ca/2014/01/mythtv-backend-running-on-raspberry-pi.html

@lurker, Thanks for the link but you do realize the Android box DVR video above isn’t running Android?