How many "streams" at once for 4 tuner Tablo?

How many remote streams can you have?

When I access my 4 tuner remotely it streams live TV just fine.

I then start another stream (testing on both the same channel and different channels) and the first stream stops saying the tuner was redirected.

I have no other channels being watched or recorded so I should have 2 free tuners after I have two streams running but it looks like only one remote stream (outside of my local house network) at a time.

Anyone else see this or is it my Tablo?

What remote streaming quality are you using? Full Quality?

I’m set to 4Mbps - I don’t have a bandwidth problem and have fios with sync up and down 50/50.
It definately quits after the stream is started on another device and it’s immediate. My fios router would get the updated port information from the tablo and update via upnp but it I found it would be removed after some time so I hard coded the inside/outside ports in the port forwarding table. I didn’t think this would matter as the LAN clients all connect with multiple streams without issue.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Also asking this to support.

I’m not sure about the how many remote streams you can have at once. But with a quad tuner, I’d assume at least 2 with the appropriate upload speed.

Your HDD is working and you can record just fine, right?

Official word from Tablo support:

“the Tablo transcodes the video every time it streams remotely, be it a recording or live TV, so it’s limited to transcoding one thing at a time”

So only one device can remotely stream from the any of the Tablo devices. LAN based streams I’ve read are up to 6.

Thanks!

Well if you set the RSQ to Full Quality, I don’t see why you couldn’t have more than one remote streams. At FQ, there would be no transcoding of a recording for example.

OK will play around but won’t expect more than then one as this was official from tech support.

Thanks!

So props to “theuser86” for the suggestion.

This is REMOTE streaming sessions I’m referring to below;

Each Tablo client app can be set to the streaming setting (didn’t know that, thought it was universal on the device)

If you select “full quality” you can stream to multiple devices.

If you stream “full quality” to one device you can stream a lesser quality to another device. (where the transcode comes in)

If you attempt to stream two devices setting the Mbps, one device will knock the other off line. (citing the tech support answer)

Thank you for the direction - happy to understand better how to use this cool little device!

Just chiming in here - @theuser86 is correct, with the use of the ‘Full quality’ remote streaming option, there’s no transcoding involved at all. As long as your upload and download speeds can handle it, you can do this with multiple channels/recordings.

Sounds like a plan!
Dan