How I answered the customer survey

If you don’t actually watch/enjoy those channels, you can remove them totally from your channel lineup from the settings page.

1 Like

I can tell you exactly why I chose the Tablo over the other products. The Tablo had a clear and well documented (although provided by people in this community, not the vendor), way to get the recorded videos off of the PVR and into my Plex Media Server. That was my deciding factor.

The HD Homerun was the runner up. But this was well before the Plex PVR functionality. At the time, there was some indication it was possible to get media off the PVR but forum posts were spotty and it was difficult to find a definitive tool that would run on my FreeBSD (like Linux) media server.

I bought the Tablo because of SurLaTablo, TabloRipper, Tablo2Go and the like.

1 Like

Actually it would be easy using this logic.
If there is a sporting even scheduled less than X hours before a scheduled program add 50% more time to the recording.

This would be similar to what you do with season finales when you automatically add time to them. There is no need to determine if a game goes long, just assume it will. I’d rather have more time recorded and have a unified recording.

A lot of us like to have multiple networks for Sports etc that we still want to access even if they are times weak. Would be on the top of my list, but if def on it.

Reminder that today is the last chance to answer the survey and get included in the draw for the $50 Amazon gift certificate!

Once all the results are tabulated, we’ll share some of them with you!

Note - if you outlined a specific issue with your setup, we’ll do our best to get back to you with a solution. That being said, the best (and fastest) way to get your issue resolved is to contact our support team directly: https://www.tablotv.com/ask-tablo/

Also - if you haven’t read the survey reminder email, check it out! There are tons of great tips & tricks included in it!

Almost two years later, my #2 (and, I think, #3) are still not answered, so in the current survey I again said,

Please add 30-second skip forward/back to the iPhone app (“Tablo Web App”) - it’s a glaring omission and a pain every time I try to use Tablo from my iPhone SE.

1 Like

Looks like we now have 30 second skip back, but not forward. That’s a start, but I want forward more than back :slight_smile:

I know that this survey helps the Tablo developers see what new features the users would like to have added or to prioritize features that are already under development.

One question that I think should have been asked …
Of the features available on the Tablo, which ones do you use the least or not at all?

Everyone uses the Tablo features differently.
For me, I do not use the Tablo Wi-Fi capability, the Remote Viewing feature nor the new 14 day live TV guide. Also, I watch live TV and record in the 720p 3-Mbps mode.

As of v1.8.0, I got my wish for this:

Please add 30-second skip forward/back to the iPhone app (“Tablo Web App”) - it’s a glaring omission and a pain every time I try to use Tablo from my iPhone SE.

Thanks, @TabloTV!

1 Like

By this year’s survey, my first two requests have been addressed, so I added more detail about my third:

"Allow quick resume when remote streaming is not Full Quality.

In these situations, Tablo seems to want to start encoding and streaming the program from the beginning. It is not willing to resume from the middle. This can be very annoying and a waste of time and data."

I doubt that is possible. When you watch a remote recording that isn’t full quality, the show has to be re-transcoded, which is why it uses a tuner (unlike watching a recording on your home network). Because it is re-transcoded, it needs to start at the beginning to get it all.

1 Like

This year, I said:

"In order of importance:

1. Allow quick resume when remote streaming is not Full Quality. In these situations, Tablo seems to want to start encoding and streaming the program from the beginning. It is not willing to resume from the middle. This can be very annoying and a waste of time and data.

2. iOS apps show timeline of recent and scheduled recordings, like Apple TV does.

3. Remote Access to a Tablo on my account without first being present on its LAN. I have a Tablo installed at my parents’ house in another state, but I can’t get there from my home computer."

Number one is a repeat. I still maintain it should be possible to begin transcoding in the middle of a recording. Perhaps that can’t be done with the current Tablo hardware, but I’d like to hear that from @TabloTV themselves.

Number two is new. Apple TV presents a list of the most recent recordings, going backward in time. It also presents a list of scheduled recordings going forward in time. Both are super handy and I wish the iPhone, iPad, and web apps would do the same.

1 Like

That’s definitely the case and it was an engineering decision. Changing it wouldn’t be easy but having encountered this myself, I agree it’s an annoyance.

The good news is that both iOS and Android mobile apps are in the midst of a major refresh so #2 will be done as part of that.

1 Like

both iOS and Android mobile apps are in the midst of a major refresh so #2 will be done as part of that.

Yay! I look forward to the beta.

I forgot to ask for the same feature in the web app.

1 Like

Indeed. With the longest recordings (live sports), it’s always a gamble that the streaming session will even survive to the end of the transcode. If my mobile cellular connection drops, the transcode may or may not be there when I reconnect.

It might be interesting to know, based on a percentage, how many actual customers respond to the survey?

Out of those customers how many customer requested features, that had nothing to do with competition features, were implemented? And the length of time it took to implement those features.

99% of the survey is about understanding the customer base.

1 Like

I answered the survey, and requested a feature that’s been asked about for a long time. That’s the ability to connect Rokus remotely, or even a phone/laptop/tablet that has lost its pairing.

1 Like

I asked that on the Roku app, when displaying ‘resent recordings’ that they be shown in a ‘grid format’ instead of a ‘listing format’. Similar to the way they are presented on a PC.

I also voiced my disappointment in the Commercial Skip feature. I’m hoping for improvements to this feature in the upcoming year.

I would add make diagnostic mode simpler to access. Hitting the button three times in one second? Insanity.

1 Like

It started out being much simpler, and customers didn’t like it, so, here we are now.