How has commercial skip been working since end of beta?

…inversely, perhaps marketing AIs are constantly learning to complicate the issue? It’s surprising DVRs with FF haven’t been attacked somehow.

Robot wars? Beginning of the Robot Uprising aka Robot Apocalypse.

In order to do this processing onboard, the Tablo would basically have to be/cost as much as a laptop. Unfortunately few people would be jumping up and down to pay for a $700-$800 OTA DVR.

1 Like

How about a software that could be install on our own computer, that could process the commmercial skip from our Tablo? That way it could be sold as a one time software buy.

Would that include the tech support? :crazy_face: If it were possible, there would undoubted be an unimaginable amount of difficulty connecting tablo -> PC for processing.

For various reasons may users have complex issues just connecting to their home network and various devices. Of course it wouldn’t be platform dependent?

2 Likes

But, realize that “one time software buy” doesn’t really work. You’d still have to have something with software maintenance. And it could get pricey as there’s a big difference from install to install as people aren’t very dedicated to their OS installs (bad support).

3 Likes

Jinx.

For most customers the Tablo is a toaster. We want to plug it in, set it and forget it. This is how the product is marketed and is the target customer.
Nuvyyo Inc. will probably not invest in a niche product for tech hobbyists.

As it stands, and the topic of this thread, the product works as advertised for a reasonable cost.

2 Likes

Sadly, I have to agree with you. It was nice in my head, but probably not feasible.

You don’t have to stop… there are 3rd party apps which provide some commercial skip abilities. Or just export recordings and use a player that jumps, for example 1min or 30sec increments, instead of FF.

There’s some flexibility if you really want to “get off the cloud”.

I have enjoyed the commercial skip and From my perspective it is working pretty well, maybe 95-98% effective.
It occasionally doesn’t pick up a commercial but seems to get back on it for the next commercial.

Still the biggest irritant of it is when it cuts off the last few minutes of a show after the final commercial break (the tag).

Other than that it has been working well.

1 Like

I started ota recording with TiVo. Didn’t like it was connected to one tv. Got a 4 tuner tablo. We like it better then TiVo. The commercial skip was just being implemented. I wasn’t disappointed with the failed to skip, or program not eligible.
Then it left me unless I pay a couple bucks a month. Didn’t think I could get my money’s worth. My experience with the free version. Then all of a sudden it was back! I’m thinking improvements and it may be worth a couple bucks for a month of commercial skip.
During the free trial I recorded between 90-100 programs. About 30 actually showed the commercial skip check. I didn’t get to watch all those before the free trial was over. The 10-15 I did watch very few actually skipped all the commercial. So I’ve decided commercial skip isn’t for me!