Hot Topic of the day: Tablo 4-Tuner - How warm CAN it get?

Pixelation is generally an issue of poor OTA signal. But I can’t argue with your testing. At least you figured it out.

maybe if the room were hotter than the Tablo, the Tablo would be happier, since it would think it was cooler than everything else.

1 Like
maybe if the room were hotter than the Tablo, the Tablo would be happier, since it would think it was cooler than everything else.

Maybe…If you gave the Tablo a nice cold beer every once in a while it would be a little happier as well (works on me)? Although, that may void the warranty.

ROFL - now there’s some logic for ya! Hmmmm.

i am really  glad i can leave this comment april 06 of 2015 i have just bought the 4- tuner about 1 month ago it is setting on this large ceramic sea shell type plate my wife has. the heat would be like sitting next to your cat since cats run a few degree’s warmer than human’s the bottom is a bit warm but certainly my wood burner will do me in before it.  Now if only we could band together against oil prices

I believe cats run about 101 or 101.9 or something like that. Hardly harmful to electronics at all.  Obviously the chips themselves would run much warmer than that lower plate in Tablo, but still… I think you are going the right direction, at least IMO.

There definitely is some issue with the design of the 4-tuner Tablo. I've been experiencing pixelation issues on and off for weeks. It mostly happened when 3 or 4 tuners were busy during Primtetime.

Out of interest, did you see pixellation on all of the channels that were in use?

Yep, when it actually started it didn’t matter what channel I was watching, it happened across the board until I installed the fan.

@alexbunk

What fan did you buy?

@theuse86 You have probably seen my previous posts but I bought this fan and it works great and VERY quiet.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001V8AC1W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@roraniel

Thanks! Looks legit

@theuse86 The reason I bought it was because it was not lit up like a Christmas tree with LED lights. Turned out to be a good product.

@theuse86 You have probably seen my previous posts but I bought this fan and it works great and VERY quiet.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001V8AC1W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Didn’t buy this exact fan but did buy a usb powered laptop cooler. The tablo sitting horizontally is noticably cooler on top and room temp on bottom. I haven’t had any need to reboot the tablo due to freezes since. 

I ended up sitting mine on one of these and it has made a world of difference on stability of the Tablo.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001V8AC1W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is a good idea, especially since the Tablo can only radiate heat downwards.  As a computer repair tech for about 30 years (10 of which I owned my own computer shop), I can truthfully tell you most component failure is heat related.  Doesn’t even have to be super high heat, just prolonged heat.  Anyway, at 14 bucks, I bought one of the coolers from my own Tablo.  Thanks for the link

-Rodger

@marjamar I actually bought 2 just in case it failed at some point. At that price I consider it to be disposable. I also picked the one I bought because it was not lit up like a Christmas tree with Blue LED’s.

When I was first testing it I had set it on a carpeted floor in our bedroom.  When I picked it up, it was uncomfortably hot. I set it on a metal trivet and it cooled down considerably.... however reception on nearly channel dropped dramatically... some wouldn't even register anymore. I thought this was odd as I wasn't changing anything with the antenna.  I removed the trivet and propped the Tablo up on two small blocks of wood.  Reception is back and the air circulating underneath helps keep it cool.

Enjoying the product.

leaving it on the carpet would be a bad thing as ventilation would be block by the carpet

The best thing for the 4 tuners Tablo would be a metal case, that case would also be the heatsink

I was having regular connection problems where I had to power-cycle it to get something working.  About 3 days ago I put my 4 tuner Tablo on its side and have not had a problem since.  Not enough time to prove a trend, but I think there is something to the temperature issue.  

I wonder if the Tablo will support a USB Hub, so that when support for multiple disk comes we can use a second disk and still have our fan plugged into the usb port.  Of course you could always use a plug in the wall to usb for the fan.

4 ch hot little Tablo here.  No problems yet but based on years of electronics experience hotter than I’m comfortable with. Looks like an easy design fix would be to add some vent holes?  

I got it on it’s side with a small fan moving a little air around.