The initial setup experience needs major work. It fails to complete using many popular browsers. The streaming experience on completing setup is horrible (video stuttering, streaming stops).
The long explanation:
I got a Tablo (2-tuner) for Christmas. I had been looking at the HD Homerun but some family decided I should buy Canadian, so they did for me.
When first trying to set-up the Tablo, the web setup wouldn’t let me proceed. IE 11 had problems, Edge had problems, Firefox had problems. They all stopped stopped or wouldn’t let me get past some point in the setup process. These are not strange web browsers, they are among the more popular browsers out there.
I finally managed to get it completely set-up by using either my iPad (Safari) or my phone (android, Chrome, I think). I forget which. But the point is I went through 4 different browsers before it finally got set-up. Most people I know don’t have more than 2 browsers available to them.
After that, the Tablo said it needed to do a firmware update that would take several minutes. Okay, I expected that and good job keeping it up to date. It took maybe 5 minutes and the system rebooted. Good, not bad.
Upon reconnecting after the reboot, there was absolutely no indication that the Tablo device was doing anything more in terms of updates. No progress indicators, nothing.
Proceed to the next step, scan for available channels. Done (I have 13 of them if you include sub-channels and channels I never watch). Awesome.
Switch to the guide and see what’s available. The interface is a bit slow to respond. Okay, it’s fetching show metadata to display for me. I can accept that.
My next step is to see how well it streams. So, I picked one of the channels it said was coming in strong (CBC) and tell it to stream to my computer. It’s horrible. The video stutters. I switched to the Roku viewer and it’s worse. Every minute or so the Roku starts buffering.
So, I did a quick sanity check, plugged the antenna back into the TV, and checked CBC. It’s coming in clear as ever.
Back to the Tablo, maybe it’s my wifi (could there be something jamming the signal?), so I switch over to Netflix, tell it to stream in full HD (gotta be fair in the test) and everything comes in beautifully without any issues.
I’m still not entirely sure what the Tablo was doing, but it was not handling the first hour (I gave up after that) at all well.
The only reason it didn’t get taken to the store (fortunately there was a gift receipt included) is because I gave it one more shot the next day and everything ran smoothly. I suspect (but have no way to test) that the device was downloading the guide and metadata, which was pushing some internal limits too far.
I forgot to mention that the tablo wouldn’t recognize my mainstream USB2 hard drive (WD something) that first day either. Remarkably, it worked find the 2nd day and is now happily saving video
Point being, if I hadn’t gone back and checked before disconnecting everything, there would be on less Tablo user in the world.
It appears I’m not the only one with this problem. Someone else said something very similar back in October (2016) in the General Discussion forum.