Thought I’d share a recent change I made to my OTA setup. My Tablo is an 8 year old OG 2 tuner. Still works like a charm.
Through the years we’ve always watched live TV through the TV’s native tuners not Tablo. Only watched recordings through Tablo. I have a solid setup of 2 Televes long range mix antennas on my roof but over time and especially after the repack some of the before strong stations can be problems when the weather/atmosphere/etc are not cooperating. And some of said stations are ones we frequently record from. I got to thinking that we really never watch live TV using the TV’s tuners anymore so why don’t I rearrange my setup to send all the OTA signal to just the Tablo. And that’s what I did.
The Televes indoor power inserter has 2 coax outputs, a main and auxiliary. I was using the aux for Tablo and the main for a 4-way distribution amp to 5 TVs. I changed it to having Tablo connected to the main output and put a terminator cap on the aux output. Ever since then (about 2 weeks now) none of my recordings have failed. I hope this continues and someday down the road I’ll give this an update. Summer will be the ultimate test.