Help with buffering/pixelation when watching live OTA TV/recorded TV

Interesting issue here that I can not track down and it seems to be similar but not exactly the same as what was experienced here.

Our recordings are very choppy with pixelizing and a lot of skipping. Some times almost to the point of not being watchable. BUT Live TV is Perfect… Nothing at all is strange, no LPW, jumping or anything.

At first I thought it was a signal issue, but it’s not since live TV is always perfect (I am also only about 3 miles away from the towers). Then I thought maybe it was a network issue, but it’s not because I went to the TV with the lowest quality wifi connection and Live TV was still perfect. Live TV is flawless and looks great while the same exact channel at the same time being recorded is just not even worth watching.

I am running Roku 3’s some wifi and some wired. Tablo 4 tuner is wired. Recording is at 10mps.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like your drive can’t keep up sometimes. Try a lower recording quality to reduce the disk throughput required.

Could be the case I guess. I will test it at the 720P 5mps setting to see if that affects anything. I am using the WD Elements 1 GB Drive and thought that it should be able to handle this.

@FlyingDiver thanks for the tip! I bumped it down to the 720P setting and last night’s recording of NBC Nightly news was perfect. I will play around with the antenna to see if there are any other improvements to be made. I would love to move back to the 1080P 10mbps setting if possible. According to the specs on the drive it should be able to handle just about anything Tablo can throw at it.

Either way we are back up and running with watchable recordings :slight_smile:

1 Like

MIght be the cable. Try a new high quality cable. If it’s a USB3 drive, get a USB3 cable. The Tablo won’t do USB3 speeds, but still better to have the USB3 cable.