Help -- Tablo Affecting My Happy Wife and Happy Life

I believe that you are referring to the repacking of Television broadcast stations. Most of the TV stations in my area will change their physical channels (frequencies) in September or October.

The outcome just depends on how well it is handled.

Just hoping for the best.

How long does it normally take to hear back from Tablo Support? It’s approaching 5 full days since I put the Tablo into remote access mode for them to look at. I’m afraid to follow-up by e-mail since I’ve read that punts you to the end of the line again.

Checking on this for you now… Replies usually get back within 1 business day but it sounds like the team needed to review some logs from your Tablo. Stay tuned.

I live in Brunswick Ohio. Have 2 Roku Tv’s and an 2nd floor out door antenna mounted on a wall angled towards the Cleveland field. I have experienced no issues whatsoever with freezing. My wireless is 5G. Tablo is about 2 years old now. The only attenuation I have is one for cell phone frequency’s. I amplified 11 DB with a Channel master amp.

If it’s cell phone frequency then it’s interference, not attenuation. :slight_smile: and you can fix that easily and inexpensively by putting an LTE filter in line. Put it BEFORE the amp. Like as close to the antenna as you can. So the line coming from your antenna gets LTE filtered BEFORE any amplification happens.

Roku has released an update to their OS 9 that the different audio modes (leveling and night listening mode) are back under the Audio settings (Main Menu -> System -> Audio).

Just posting for those who search this issue later, should be easier to fix now if you get surround sound warnings.

Six weeks of e-mails back and forth with Support and things have only gotten worse. For the past month, I’ve been logging every detail of every error, which has been a major pain in the butt to stop what I’m doing a half dozen or more times a night to enter details into Excel. I dropped the quality to 720/5 for the bulk of those six weeks, but recently bumped it back up to 1080/8 when Support agreed that it’s not related to my network. It worked great at 1080/10 for the first six months or so. I bought a new router (same model - Linksys EA8300) just to rule that out. No improvement. I still stream Sling and Plex flawlessly. The 5G WiFi signal is strong everywhere. I’ve played with engaging and bypassing the 15 dB amp. At Support’s recommendation I’ve been using only the Preview app, which I now like better (theoretically, when it works). Still, I’ve been getting increasingly greater frequency of freezing regardless of which live channel or recording I try to watch. The freezing usually but not always ends with an error message (usually either “Failed to load video” or “An unknown error occurred”). I’ve tried not only my three 4k Fire Sticks, but my wife’s iPad and my Android phone, and the problems occur on all of them. I bought the previous 2nd Gen version of the Fire Stick again (which I used for much of last year before upgrading), and the problems continued. A few nights ago, upon turning on the TV for the first time that night, I got three consecutive different errors just trying to tune to channel 8 (“Weak Signal” > “Storage is Full” > “Failed to load video”). There is more than 500 GB of space left on the hard drive, and both Tablo and my LG TV with its own feed from the antenna report full signal strength for all of the channels. In fact, a couple months ago when I was playing with attenuators to see if my signal was too strong, it took not only removal of the 15 dB amp, but on the order of 20-30 dB of additional attenuation before the Tablo started to report less than 5 green dots for my strongest channels. The attenuators didn’t fix the problem then, so I don’t think strong signals are my problem, and I sure don’t think I have weak signals. My TV with the other split from the antenna has never blinked – perfect reception every time we’ve resorted to using it. The hard drive was ruled out long ago after trying a different (new) drive, and testing without a drive. Support can find nothing wrong with the Tablo and insists it’s an intermittent reception problem, though they haven’t been able to observe any signal issues when they’ve been in there testing.

Is there anything we’re missing? I’ve given up the last couple days even trying to use it, since it’s gotten tiresome to try to get through anything (live or recording) with having to constantly stop and run to the computer to update the log.

@BlueCalcite I have to commend you, you’ve given this so much time and patience. I’m not sure I have anything else to offer, you have been very methodical in your troubleshooting thus far. Honestly, there is only a couple of other things I could possible think the problem could be.

1. When you switched hard-drives, did you also swap the USB cable that connects the drive to the Tablo? While rare, I have seen usb cables become intermittent in their reliability. A long shot, but if you re-used this cable, it would be something easy to try. Same with the Ethernet cable that connects your Tablo to your router. Worth changing?

2. The Tablo unit you have is just defective. With everything you have tried, can’t support send you a refurbished unit to test? If that unit still has the same issues, then it would sure help narrow the problem down to something other than the Tablo itself. I’m leaning towards a Tablo hardware issue.

Good luck, I can only imagine how much pressure your wife must be putting on you at this point :).

Yes, the hard drive swap included using the new cable that came with the new drive. And I’ve swapped the Ethernet cable and the port on the router that the Tablo is connected to.

To this point, I’ve just been spending 30 minutes every night searching for and downloading via torrent everything that either my wife or I want to record and watch with the Tablo. That doesn’t help us with local news and some PBS shows that aren’t widely circulated.

@BlueCalcite I would be really curious to know if a different Tablo unit experiences the same issues. Maybe Nuvyyo will take pity on you and swap it out for you? I honestly don’t know what else you can try. I would have really expected the issue to be related to wi-fi connectivity issues, but you ruled that out some time ago.

The only other thing I think you could try would involve you having a smaller available TV. If you had one laying around, you could bring it down right to your Tablo unit and Router. Disconnect everything else that isn’t absolutely necessary from your router/network to get down to just the basics. It would be preferable if you could connect the fire stick via Ethernet to your router (not sure which model you have) and just see how it goes for the day. Don’t stream anything else from it except just that one location. If it still fails in that situation, that it just has to be the Tablo unit that is the problem. I don’t see how it could be anything else.

I purchased an Ethernet adapter a couple months ago for the Fire Stick that’s right across the hall from the Tablo. Ran the cable to it for…maybe a day or two…and all the errors persisted.

I would be really curious to know if a different Tablo unit experiences the same issues. Maybe Nuvyyo will take pity on you and swap it out for you?

I would be curious about this as well and would welcome the opportunity.

For no better reason than to cross one more thing off the list, I purchased an LTE filter and installed it Sunday. There is a tower a half mile away, pretty much in the direction my antenna is pointing. But even Tablo Support didn’t think enough of that potential problem to advise me to purchase the filter. Surprisingly, it worked a little better the little bit I used it Sunday, but by last night I was getting tons of errors again. On two different TVs, my wife and I got the same “Failed to load video error” at seemingly the exact same time (I was watching live TV; she was trying to watch a recording). We both got the error a half-dozen or more times during the 10 p.m. hour and gave up.

@BlueCalcite Have you asked them to swap-out the unit? I mean, I really don’t know what else you can try. I get that they may be looking at the logs and it appears everything is functioning, but it sure seems that you have ruled everything else out. Maybe they could give you a loaner unit to test out? It seems like the only constant in your problems is the Tablo.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not coming down on support, by the comments I have read on here it sounds like they are a pretty good group.

Not yet. It’s been more than a week since I’ve heard from them, so I may just place a call and ask.

Just curious, if you have plex and a plex pass. Have you considered trying an hdhomerun and setting it up via plex.

See how that performs using their own app and the plex tv dvr functionality. If that works, then again it would point to a defective unit imo.

I wonder if a totally different device might behave or perform differently? I’m actually surprised they have not sent you another unit to try…

I tried to read the entire thread. It sounds like you are having an awful experience. One thing I noticed is that you bought a new router to see if that would make a difference but it is the same model as the old one. Have you thought about trying a different model entirely?

Just curious, if you have plex and a plex pass. Have you considered trying an hdhomerun and setting it up via plex.

I do have a Plex Pass, and that would be an option to move to if I end up declaring Tablo a wasted $400+ investment, but that’s an additional expense I don’t want to incur just to help troubleshoot the Tablo.

One thing I noticed is that you bought a new router to see if that would make a difference but it is the same model as the old one. Have you thought about trying a different model entirely?

I was working on the assumption (correct or not) that there was a better chance that my particular router was defective than that my particular router model was incompatible for some reason. That, and I knew it would be faster to swap the same model into my system for testing. At this point, similar to above, I don’t think I want to buy another one for troubleshooting.

The last e-mail I received from them on March 5 inquired about whether I have an Android TV device, for which they could send me a debug version of the app. I don’t, and I hesitate to even make that additional investment.

Wow, you have probably made it into the Guinness Book of Records for the longest running Tablo problem :thinking:

Wow, you have probably made it into the Guinness Book of Records for the longest running Tablo problem :thinking:

I suppose that’s just slightly better than having the record for the largest hemorrhoid.

Sorry for the wait! We’ve just updated your ticket with some next steps. This case has been particularly odd for us, too - usually with the types of symptoms you’re describing, there’s a very clear indicator to the root cause of the issue. It’s been tricky to try and get to the bottom of this so far, which is why it’s taking a little longer than we’d like.