Help Shape the Tablo Roadmap

@perenner - That’s EXACTLY what we’d like to do in the future. 

1 Like

I’ve got another one, this one’s kind of out there…

If you guys were to make a dedicated set-top box (like TiVo’s mini) with an IR receiver, wifi and HDMI out, I bet that’d make it a lot easier to implement fixes for some of the speed and functionality issues people have with the various set-top box app UIs (including the ones I posted above).  No idea if you guys have the resources to do something like that, but I’d buy one… (kickstarter?)

@ryan, that really goes against what the Tablo is all about.  It is a media server, not a set top box.

@ryan

That is what a Channel Master DVR+ is for.

If you want multiple front ends you go for a Tablo.

@ryan, that really goes against what the Tablo is all about.  It is a media server, not a set top box.

Yes, the Tablo is a media server.  I’m talking about making a separate client set-top box.  TiVo also has a client-server model with their own server AND client hardware, which is why they aren’t limited by the hardware and APIs of other set-top box vendors.  Don’t get me wrong, I like being able to watch TV on all my devices, and they should continue to support their iOS and Android apps for simple video playing.  But after using Tablo for awhile I’m just realizing how much I miss DVR-style UIs when watching on a traditional TV.  I realize my expectations are way off considering what the Tablo currently is which is why I said that one was kind of out there.  The other suggestions made here have been much more constructive and practical, sorry for derailing the thread a bit

It’s a specific media server designed to serve out Tablo recorded content only.

There’s a separate thread discussing people’s Plex setups… for me:

TV + Roku(frontend) => network => Plex + Tablo + Netflix + whatever (e.g. DLNA server)

So for me… the Roku is the set top box UI.  Though some complain, it’s really not that bad of a UI (even without the custom Neflix-ish style).  Now… that doesnt mean that Tablo’s default (old) UI on the Roku was great… it could have been better even with the normal old-school default Roku UI, but certainly limited with regards to what people expect from a “channel changing” set top box… thus the (primary) reason for the new Tablo Roku UI (currently being “tested” by many).

One Request:

Make a soft-reboot function in the GUI so we don’t have to tromp all the way to the box to reboot it. :slight_smile:
1 Like

For whatever it’s worth here are my 2 suggestions.  I’m one of the original Tablo users and still love it.

- Allow me to download recordings to Android & iOS devices to view when I’m on a plane/train.
- Ideally give me the option to NOT record advertisements.  Otherwise let me skip them during playback.

Thanks
1 Like

Just started designing a media system (not a customer yet).  I’m currently running a Plex server on Linux.  It would be VERY cool to use the ginormous storage I have on the server for my Tablo recordings instead of an external HDD.  Network or USB connection is OK.  Any suggestions???

Thanks,
Matt

@mattyc71 - Sorry, Tablo cannot support networked storage.

I understand that Tablo currently only supports up to 2TB and only one external drive but what are the plans and ideas you have going forward? NAS and/or network storage is certainly something that would make it more desirable as would support for a second drive as well as larger capacity drives.The ability to export shows/movies would also be greatly appreciated for those of us that are more hardcore users as it would allow us to view and organize our content in Plex.

Thoughts Tablo?

The plan is to add support for larger drives in the next little while. 

We also plan to add the ability to download shows for offline storage (like a NAS).

We don’t plan to add support for recording directly to networked storage due to the varying speeds of network drives.
1 Like

Sounds good, I definitely would like to see the export feature for sure! Thanks for the quick reply and as I think of features I’d like to see I will check back in!

@C0pyCatter - You’re welcome. A few superfans have worked on different unofficial download options. They’re all outlined in threads on the community. If you’re game to tinker a bit, check them out.

I will for sure! Thanks!

Forgive any redundancy with this suggestion.

The ability to archive recordings built natively into the Tablo would be a real killer feature. I'm thinking it would work like this:

User installs a HD and uses it to record, deleting things along the way, but hanging on to those shows that one simply MUST hang on to - like that time Aunt Mabel was on the 6 o'clock news. So eventually, the disc fills up with those "untouchable" shows. At that point, the user can choose to "Eject" the disk and store it away for a rainy day. Install a fresh HD, and start filling it up, BUT, if at any point the user wants to watch something on another disk, he or she can reinstall the older HD and watch whatever is available there. Perhaps this could make use of the second USB port or something.  With the cost (and physical size) of HDs lower than ever before, we could get to the point where one NEVER has to delete anything he doesn't want to. 

I would much rather be able to just record to my NAS to begin with.

The plan is to add support for larger drives in the next little while. 

We also plan to add the ability to download shows for offline storage (like a NAS).

We don't plan to add support for recording directly to networked storage due to the varying speeds of network drives.

What would be really useful would be something that could dump completed recordings to networked storage automatically. That would make it possible to automatically remove all of the ads and expose it via Plex while eliminating storage limitations.

Support for AC3 would be very nice. I hate the fact that Tablo mixes everything down to stereo.

Allow the currently playing channel to continue playing when moving back into the guide. This will make it appear faster as the currently streaming channel could play up until the newly selected channel is tuned and buffered. Also, get rid of all the opaque overlays, make them transparent.