Help Shape the Tablo Roadmap

Any way for @TabloTV to detect if a USB is attached to the Roku, and store the graphics or graphics and guide there along with the time and rewrite after so much time has passed?

@beastman

That is a good idea.

The guide is a lot faster on the Fire TV I think bc the data is stored locally aka it “syncs” every time you load the app.

However, I don’t see why the Roku channel couldn’t cache the guide data temporarily on the Roku directly so that when the channel is open it doesn’t always have to load even when switching between Live TV and Recordings. A lot of other Roku channels cache the data on the Roku so it’s quickly accessible as long as the channel remains running. There’s no permanent storage so yes the data has to load each time the channel is exited and reopened

Is there a reason for this @TabloSupport ?

I expect they didn't add caching yet because they were focused on the UI, which is important, but one needs to consider the overall user experience (UX).
Any way for @TabloTV to detect if a USB is attached to the Roku, and store the graphics or graphics and guide there along with the time and rewrite after so much time has passed?

@beastman Unfortunately, the Roku SDK documentation seems to indicate that files accessed via USB are read-only: http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/File+System  (Although I suppose they could make a special file to download from their website to put on the drive.) Besides, how many Roku users have a model with a USB port and would get a USB flash drive for it? The Roku 2 XS, Roku 3, Roku 2 (2015) and at least some of the Roku TVs do, but that leaves lots of Roku users out.

I know…I have a Roku LT in the bedroom that does not have a USB port but watch most live tv in the living room with the Roku 3.

I expect they didn't add caching yet because they were focused on the UI, which is important, but one needs to consider the overall user experience (UX).

@beastman Unfortunately, the Roku SDK documentation seems to indicate that files accessed via USB are read-only: http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/File+System  (Although I suppose they could make a special file to download from their website to put on the drive.) Besides, how many Roku users have a model with a USB port and would get a USB flash drive for it? The Roku 2 XS, Roku 3, Roku 2 (2015) and at least some of the Roku TVs do, but that leaves lots of Roku users out.

What about using the micro SD slot since it can be written to by the Roku.

@Xzyl

I don’t think all Rokus have an SD slot.

Plus I have a Roku 3 with no SD card in it.

Mine Roku 3 does not have a SD card…just a USB

All 3 of my Roku3 have sd cards. I have a 2 gig card in each one.

When and where did you buy them?  I got mine at Walmart around November of last year.  Only USB port and no sd card :frowning:

@beastman

Look carefully your Roku 3 does have an SD slot. It does not sell with an SD card though.

It’s a USB slot and I have a USB thumb drive in it

Edit:  I put a USB drive in and then saw where microSD card goes.  I put a USB drive and microSD card in.

Roku 3 has both.  The USB slot will allow you to attach a drive to it.  The micro sdhc slot is for memory (look under your HDMI connector)… but the context has always been with regards to Roku Game apps… but not much else has been said about it.

As far as I'm aware Roku channels can't specify whether they use the internal storage or any inserted MicroSD card.
It's a USB slot and I have a USB thumb drive in it
The MicroSD card slot is immediately below the HDMI port on current generation models. (For the three 2011 "Roku 2" -- HD, XD, XS -- models, it's immediately above the HDMI port.)
All 3 of my Roku3 have sd cards. I have a 2 gig card in each one.
How many channels do you have installed? And how many of those are games? I've got around 110 and the internal storage is sufficient, but the only game I have is the Angry Birds one which came pre-installed.
When and where did you buy them?  I got mine at Walmart around November of last year.  Only USB port and no sd card :(

I got mine at Walmart about the same time as you got yours.

I don’t have many channels at all. When I bought the Roku’s I ran into a crazy sale on these SD cards, so I went ahead & got them. Just in case I would need them…

Newegg has the miscroSD cards cheap.  I just got a 64 gb one for my new phone.

I added Wheel of Fortune.  I did have a 16 gb in already, but just replaced it with a 32 gb. 

Does the Roku LT have a microSD slot too?  Guess I will look when I get home from work. If it does, then I’ll put the 16 gb one there.

Micro SDHC != Micro SDXC

The Roku’s have a MicroSDHC slot, so limited to max of 32GB, but more options on filesystems.

In general, MicroSDXC cards, which are popular on newer devices, can have very large cards (I’ve even seen good pricing on 128G cards)… and are (usually) formatted exFAT.

We’re always looking at ways to improve performance. We have a few more tricks up our sleeves to try specifically for Roku.

Before you start looking to add features , it’d be great if it would actually function reliably.

Write the guide data to the microsdcard to cache it, so it will load faster when you go back to the guide.  Perhaps an hour or twos data.