Help Shape the Tablo Roadmap

34 pages of posts so far, so I may have missed a request similar to this, but here I go.

I’d like to throw in my two cents and request a notification of low disk space or recording stopage once the drive connected has reached some percentage point (5%, 3% or 1%). I had approximately.7% (14GB) free and it locked up and would only randomly sync. Stopped responding to Roku attempts to connect. The Tablo was often not found when scanning (though device pinged). Moving around the webpage (via chrome) was tough at best if it worked at all. Took hours to sync and failed a very high percentage of the time.

Eventually I was able to get into the setting page to set the auto-delete feature, and I was also able to delete a bunch of shows. Once I cleaned up some space, the Tablo immediately returned to normal operation. I am confident it was a lack of free drive space that cause this issue.

I firmly believe TabloTV has seen this issue before. Some kind of notification of low disk space would’ve have been very helpful, with a disclaimer (in the app or email to the user) that filling up the drive to 1% (?) or less will cause stability issues.

@bigcitymike yea, notifications for lots of things has been asked for. Even so far as adding some type of ifttt integrations.

Easier live play on iphone app - its sooo simple on ipad version.

Solution to download videos (or export segments) 

Solution to export short animated Gifs (why not be the creators of all viral videos) 

I’d love to have an alt. guide to show me the dates/times when shows were recorded (like a list format) 

I NEED the ability to limit how many times a show will record before it’ll self delete like I record the tonight show - but I only need a max of the last 5 new episodes (so an option around max # of shows would be great) 

I’d love to have an option to display the show information or not - if I’m recording all new episodes I know the show and I just want the quick display of playing the episodes.

and of course an AppleTV APP :) 

@dadsrocks same here for AppleTv. If Apple is serious about al la carte services they are adding like HBO they need to open up to an App Store to third party developers like Tablo. (I smell conflict with NBC/CBS/ABC/ FOX apps coming) but doubt we will ever see this. maybe this will be the year given all the recent announcements … One can only hope.

Pretty sure the new version of AppleTV will have an App Store connected to it. Since AppleTV is basically a IOS device, i’ve always wondered why there is no native AppleTV app today.

Hopefully the new version will have some backward compatibility with the AppleTV3. Rumor is the ATV4 is a redesign with new hardware.

@bigcitymike

Apple has locked down the APPLE TV hence the no Tablo TV app on it.

@theuser86

While it may be a walled garden, there still apps being developed for it by various companies.

@bigcitymike , @TabloTV has commented numerous times in these forums and in public interviews that Apple has no intention of letting them release a native app on that platform.

@getcashmoney This is just one example of why I left the Apple ecosystem. It is one thing to not allow an app because it is inappropriate but they will not allow a Tablo app simply because they pose a competitive threat to Apples desire to enter the TV media business. 

It probably won’t just be Apple. There will probably be some resistance from the networks too. The use of the BIF files for jumping past commercials isn’t likely to go over well with them. Anthony Wood learned this the hard way with the old ReplayTV (which from a consumer perspective was far superior to TIVO but it got squeezed out by the networks).

Tablo Connect for Roku keeps coming up as a request but seems to also keep being put off. Can someone give us a report on where this stands? 

@greymont - It’s still on the to-do list. We’re focusing on the UI for Roku at the moment (the first phase of the new channel is ready now). Once we’ve got all of that implemented we’ll look again at adding Connect functionality.

In the meantime, if you want to have Tablo Connect for the big screen you can try Amazon Fire TV or Android TV or the web app on a laptop.

So here is my own idiosyncratic list of improvements for Tablo to consider. The biggest, single drawback of Tablo, to me, is that it is clunky and slow to load. That is what people notice first. I’m not a software engineer, but some of the decisions made by Tablo seem problematical. All of my comments relate to use of Roku. I have no buffering or other issues - it works just fine:

• Tablo seems to have chosen graphics over performance - on the grid, I would much prefer to use the top real estate not for graphics but to display more of the grid. Eliminating graphics might also speed up loading
  • The grid populates channel by channel - why not have the grid populate all channels for the next 30 minutes and then all channels for the next thirty minutes and so on - populate vertically and not horizontally
  • When I scroll down the grid to the bottom and want to get back up to the top channel, I have to go all the way up - why not make the grid circular and allow us to go down from the last channel to the very top channel
  • It is cumbersome (too many clicks) to go from watching a show all the way out to the Tablo menu
  • I think viewers want to see what was recorded most recently rather than viewing the list alphabetically (or by subject matter)
  • As requested by many, the ability to delete multiple shows (or a season of shows) by batch rather than individually
  • Would be great if you could find a way to cache the grid so it doesn’t have to repopulate constantly - I understand that Roku may be the limit here but you guys are pretty resourceful in finding workarounds
Many or all of these have been suggested by others - just trying to provide some feedback on the changes that would be most useful to this user. Again, Tablo works just fine - still a big fan. I’m an older user so waiting for Tablo to load is a bigger deal for me as time becomes a scarcer commodity. Tablo - thanks for all the hard work and the constant improvements.

How about giving us an option to hide the upper portion of the Live TV (guide) view and only see the listings grid full screen? The information and options currently in the upper part of the screen could become a pop-up or drop-down for those of us that would rather have all of the screen real estate devoted to the listings grid. Or at least shrink the upper part of the screen by reducing the font sizes and rearranging the show title, episode name, time remaining, and info/record buttons. You could also shrink the listing row heights a little to get maybe another row or two on the screen. The current view is wasting precious screen real estate. Can you tell I hate scrolling? :slight_smile:

Here is another vote for caching the grid. The grid reload is very slow and having to reload every time I pop out of a show is a bit tiresome. I also agree that the banner at the top is wasted space. I would at least make it a lot narrower. A “circular” guide would be nice, but there are not so many broadcast channels that I find to be a big annoyance. I would categorize it more as a minor tweak that would be nice to have.

Connect for Roku will be VERY welcome.

• Tablo seems to have chosen graphics over performance - on the grid, I would much prefer to use the top real estate not for graphics but to display more of the grid. Eliminating graphics might also speed up loading
  • The grid populates channel by channel - why not have the grid populate all channels for the next 30 minutes and then all channels for the next thirty minutes and so on - populate vertically and not horizontally
  • When I scroll down the grid to the bottom and want to get back up to the top channel, I have to go all the way up - why not make the grid circular and allow us to go down from the last channel to the very top channel
  • It is cumbersome (too many clicks) to go from watching a show all the way out to the Tablo menu
  • I think viewers want to see what was recorded most recently rather than viewing the list alphabetically (or by subject matter)
  • As requested by many, the ability to delete multiple shows (or a season of shows) by batch rather than individually
  • Would be great if you could find a way to cache the grid so it doesn't have to repopulate constantly - I understand that Roku may be the limit here but you guys are pretty resourceful in finding workarounds

Pretty much agree with all of these points. I expect the preview channel will get more useful. I like the design goals. Looking forward to the Tablo team filling out the functionality.

So here is my own ideosyncratic list of improvements for Tablo to consider. The biggest, single drawback of Tablo, to me, is that it is clunky and slow to load. That is what people notice first. I'm not a software engineer, but some of the decisions made by Tablo seem problematical. All of my comments relate to use of Roku. I have no buffering or other issues - it works just fine:
  • Would be great if you could find a way to cache the grid so it doesn't have to repopulate constantly - I understand that Roku may be the limit here but you guys are pretty resourceful in finding workarounds
Many or all of these have been suggested by others - just trying to provide some feedback on the changes that would be most useful to this user. Again, Tablo works just fine - still a big fan. I'm an older user so waiting for Tablo to load is a bigger deal for me as time becomes a scarcer commodity. Tablo - thanks for all the hard work and the constant improvements.

+1 great suggestions @jdoe

Tablo needs to gut fancy graphics and get the product working and then figure out how to add fancy graphics and thumbnails not the other way around.    Scrolling through the EPG is painful as Tablo struggle to load a graphic each time you move.   Also, the entire sync process needs to be removed.    

I’ve mentioned the graphics problems several times elsewhere and glad to see others joining me. Hopefully @TabliSupport will listen and either give a choice graphics or no graphics on the guide as they did on the sound effects.

@beastman

I totally agree on this feature. But note this option would be more difficult to implement than a simple toggle of sound effects ON/OFF. I personally like the graphics though.