Help Shape the Tablo Roadmap

We are really liking our Tablo so far. While understanding this is relatively new product there are a couple features that are glaringly missing.

1. The ability to begin recordings a couple minutes before a programs scheduled time is almost a necessity. Local stations in time zones that broadcast via time shifted recordings instead of a live network feed during prime time often cheat program start times in order to add a few more local commercials over the course of an evening. I’m missing upwards of 2 minutes of programs in the earlier hours of prime time.

2. Being able to see a schedule for several hours on available channels on the Roku interface instead of just what is currently on Live TV would be a welcome feature.

Thanks for providing a great cord-cutting option and for continuing to make improvements!

@rsieben number 2 is almost here…

#1 has been asked for many times.

Improved guide on Roku coming by end of the month

Our local station is great at that - shows often end at 8:01 and not 8:00 or start 1 minute prior to the hour. I can check the national bureau of standards time, cell phone time, even Jupiter time, any time standard you choose and the favorite shows start 1 minute prior to when they should.
With NCIS you end up missing the finding of the dead body. Rats.
With the DVD recorder I always started recording at 6:59 and ended up watching the show about 5 seconds into the start of it, even adding that minute - and I can set the DVD recorder to get it’s time from the station!

Please add the channel guide while TV is live. I hate that I have to jump out to a quiet channel guide in, then wait for a new one to buffer. Why not buffer while viewing a live channel in the background?

I would really like the Surround sound issue to be addressed. 

I like the preview thumbs when using Roku.  When at the slowest FF setting, you can see multiple preview frames that are coming up.  When using FF at faster speeds, I only see one frame which gives less heads up you are coming up on your show.  I would like to see more preview frames when using the faster FF settings.

@technerd, i found a great way to quickly jump through commercials without worrying about missing frames from the FF arrows. Instead, just use the right arrow on the Roku remote and you can go as fast as you want through each frame. If you go past the shke starting, just press the back arrow until you are on the right frame and press play. You can go really fast - it works great!

@getcashmoney, that works but will quickly suck the life out of your Roku battery so more preview frames showing at faster FF speeds seems the better long term solution.

@getcashmoney, I do exactly the same as you, works very well. As for battery life I didn't se any difference, but I am using a AllForOne programmable remote with rechargeble battery.

One feature that would be incredibly useful to me is remote access from a Roku outside my home network. My parents want to cut the cord, but live way too far away from the TV towers to get off-the-air content. If Tablo supported remote Roku boxes, I could simply add another Tablo at my home here in the Boston suburbs and they could access broadcast TV that way.

@Scott_Curtis the new amazon fire tv Tablo channel will be remote access (Tablo connect) capable so that could be an option, but keep in mind that it would use a lot of your bandwidth. Apparently Tablo connect for roku is in the works, but probably won’t be available for some time.

One feature that would be incredibly useful to me is remote access from a Roku outside my home network. My parents want to cut the cord, but live way too far away from the TV towers to get off-the-air content. If Tablo supported remote Roku boxes, I could simply add another Tablo at my home here in the Boston suburbs and they could access broadcast TV that way.

While quite noble of you, this exact design and implementation got Aereo in trouble and got them shut down. I am assuming the “pairing” for devices was purposely designed by Tablo for legal reasons.

Google Aereo and take a read.

@theuser86 - Not necessarily. What @Scott_Curtis is talking about is sort of like Slingbox which is legal. The reason we did pairing is so that it would be easy for the user - no password required!

We are looking at ways to offer a secondary/fallback method for Tablo Connect that would not require pairing. Just haven’t decided on an approach.

Scott - If you want to do this for your parents, you may want to try Amazon Fire TV when the app is ready. It’ll be able to use Tablo Connect.

Does Tablo support remote Fire Fly or Android TV? That might be your solution.

I sent this enhancement via email as well but I would like the ability to secure settings with either a password or pin. Also, with the looping issue, I would like the ability to disable buffering and watch live tv straight from antenna to the Roku…

@mastewman this is in the list I posted back in Sep of last year.

http://jettsoft.com/TabloRequests.htm
@mastewman this is in the list I posted back in Sep of last year.

That is great! We are definitely on the same page, especially about the Admin settings :smiley:

@mastewman

Yea, there are a lot of improvements that can be done. Although they are a bit slow for my taste in rolling these out, at least they do make updates unlike other DVR companies :wink:

While it may be like pushing the button at crosswalk, I’d like to bump up the request to be able to delete multiple recordings at once.   Deleting 40 episodes of Wheel of Fortune shouldn’t result in carpal tunnel syndrome :wink: