Help Shape the Tablo Roadmap

Cool! I like what you’ve done with the Roku timeline in the video.

Thanks for continuing to add features through software.

The video FF/RW previews are nice, but what I’d really prefer to see is a 30 second skip.  My current DVR has that now, and once I got used to using it I just flat-out do not rewind or fast-forward through anything anymore.

30 second skip, 10 second rewind.  It’s great.  Someday on Tablo I hope?

I’m hoping for both. After 16 years with Dish network DVRs, I was used to the 30 second skip as well. However I LOVE these thumbnails, and actually prefer them to the skip now! Who knew?

Mike

How about the option to display recorded (and maybe even live) content in various Aspect Ratios?  I have a Brite-View media player which is simply a device that plays content from attached storage.  One of the great features is that I can change the aspect ratio on anything so if I have a 4:3 aspect TV show and I want to ‘stretch’ it to the size of the screen, my Brite-View allows me the following aspect ratios:  16:9, 16:10, Letterbox 4:3 & Pan Scan 4:3. 

How about the option to display recorded (and maybe even live) content in various Aspect Ratios?  I have a Brite-View media player which is simply a device that plays content from attached storage.  One of the great features is that I can change the aspect ratio on anything so if I have a 4:3 aspect TV show and I want to 'stretch' it to the size of the screen, my Brite-View allows me the following aspect ratios:  16:9, 16:10, Letterbox 4:3 & Pan Scan 4:3. 

The Tablo will stream content in the aspect ratio in which it was broadcast.  It’s up to the display device to modify the aspect ratio if desired, not the Tablo.

How about the option to display recorded (and maybe even live) content in various Aspect Ratios?  I have a Brite-View media player which is simply a device that plays content from attached storage.  One of the great features is that I can change the aspect ratio on anything so if I have a 4:3 aspect TV show and I want to 'stretch' it to the size of the screen, my Brite-View allows me the following aspect ratios:  16:9, 16:10, Letterbox 4:3 & Pan Scan 4:3. 

The Tablo will stream content in the aspect ratio in which it was broadcast.  It’s up to the display device to modify the aspect ratio if desired, not the Tablo.

Yes…I understand that but my suggestion is to add an option to allow one to adjust the aspect ratio if they want to regardless of what the original aspect ratio is.  Perhaps I am the only one that likes this option.  Another example of where I like this option is when I use the Roku to watch Netflix content that was originally 4:3, it shows as 4:3 with the bars on the sides (square screen) but when I watch the same content from Netflix via my Vizio Smart TV, they ‘fill’ the screen so they have taken a 4:3 aspect ratio source and ‘stretched’ it to 16:9 to fit the full screen.  So, again, I would love to have the option to adjust the aspect ratio.

Another example of where I like this option is when I use the Roku to watch Netflix content that was originally 4:3, it shows as 4:3 with the bars on the sides (square screen) but when I watch the same content from Netflix via my Vizio Smart TV, they 'fill' the screen so they have taken a 4:3 aspect ratio source and 'stretched' it to 16:9 to fit the full screen.  So, again, I would love to have the option to adjust the aspect ratio.

I would have assumed the Vizio Smart TV is doing the processing in that case – not the Netflix app. In my limited experience, I’ve not seen a Roku app that controls aspect ratio - it is done at the Roku system level (likewise, for smart TVs, at the smart TV system level).

Another example of where I like this option is when I use the Roku to watch Netflix content that was originally 4:3, it shows as 4:3 with the bars on the sides (square screen) but when I watch the same content from Netflix via my Vizio Smart TV, they 'fill' the screen so they have taken a 4:3 aspect ratio source and 'stretched' it to 16:9 to fit the full screen.  So, again, I would love to have the option to adjust the aspect ratio.

I would have assumed the Vizio Smart TV is doing the processing in that case – not the Netflix app. In my limited experience, I’ve not seen a Roku app that controls aspect ratio - it is done at the Roku system level (likewise, for smart TVs, at the smart TV system level).

I believe you are correct.  My point is that I have another device, a media player that allows me to manually adjust the aspect ratio and I was wondering if that is something that might be considered as an option on the Tablo app within the Roku device or from whichever platform it is being played from.  Like I said before…perhaps I am the minority or I am not explaining properly what I am asking for!

I believe you are correct.  My point is that I have another device, a media player that allows me to manually adjust the aspect ratio and I was wondering if that is something that might be considered as an option on the Tablo app within the Roku device or from whichever platform it is being played from.  Like I said before…perhaps I am the minority or I am not explaining properly what I am asking for!

I get it, I understand and I would in fact USE that because having the TV do it means I not only have to get the show playing in Tablo, I have to grab the TV remote to change the display size, meaning 2 remotes - one to play (Tablo using whatever app/device you use) and the TV (to change aspect ratio.

We have a station that shows some of the shows in a WEIRD size - it’s supposed to be the old standard but in 4:3 it’s actually squeezed and narrowed so I have to choose a custom or 16:9 to get it to display properly and not squeezed. I’ve never seen shows broadcast like that before - I dunno why they do that. It’s mostly movies they do that with, OLD OLD westerns from the late 50s/early 60s. It’s hard to move from one oldies station to another as I have to flip the TV’s display constantly if I flip between that channel and another, both should be the old 4:3 but one does it differently. I believe it’s Grit channel that does this if I recall correctly, not being home to check or verify. 
Normally I leave it at “set by program” and that works for older DVDs or other sources, but not with Tablo - for some reason when running Tablo through HDMI, the TV can’t recognize the source and adjust. If I put in other shows I’ve recorded on DVD or a bought/commercial DVD of an old show, the TV normally adjusts but it can’t with anything Tablo. 

Please add a PS4 app to the list. 

Plex app is fine (when it works) but I would say the PS4/xbox one community would really appreciate a dedicated app. I know I sure would. 

Alternatively, tweaking the web app to work on the ps4 browser would be a more than acceptable compromise. 

@zachattack - We realize that many cordcutters use their gaming system as their media hub as well. It’s definitely on our to-do list to solve this. We’re always looking at adding support for more devices! 

I’ll second the PS4 app idea. It’s selling like hotcakes right now, over twenty million sold. Tablo should get in on that.

I would love a native Xbox One app! I don't have an extra PC lying around to act as a server for Plex.

I second the Xbox One app, and if it could be integrated into the Xbox One Guide, that would be even better.

>>getcashmoney said:

I would love a native Xbox One app! I don't have an extra PC lying around to act as a server for Plex.<<

Wish I could have known you guys a few years back, I threw away systems that were more than good enough for that sort of thing. I've in the past tossed new system boards still in the factory boxes. Right now I've got a system that could be revamped, upgraded a bit to work as a media server, especially running Ubuntu or some other flavour of Linux. Case and power supply are like new but it's likely going to a shelf or closet until it eventually ends up trashed. 
(Unless I decide to upgrade it and dedicate it for a media server or even a backup host)

Need a "trading post" area here where people who own Tablos can advertise cheap or free computer equipment...
I would love a native Xbox One app! I don't have an extra PC lying around to act as a server for Plex.

I second the Xbox One app, and if it could be integrated into the Xbox One Guide, that would be even better.

While an Xbox One app would be great, a PS4 app would be even better :slight_smile:  Better still…an Apple TV app!!!  If I have any chance of getting my wife to use the Tablo, it’s going to need to be on Apple TV (natively, not AirPlay).

While I’m waiting for the Nexus Player app I thought I would go ahead and let you  know one of the features I would love to see on Android TV. I would love it if the latest recordings or most recently aired recordings showed up in the notification center at the top of the home screen. I understand this may have to be added later but it would be really cool to have at some point.

A big feature I would LOVE to see regards the Apple TV and airplay. I would love for the video to keep streaming until another video is selected to stream. That way, I can browse around on the iPad Tablo app and still have the live show or recording playing. I think this would be a huge feature.

It would be nice to be able to scroll through the channel lineup while watching live TV.

I miss the first few minutes of some recordings. It would be graet to have a way to add 10, 15 or 20 minutes to the start or end of a scheduled recording

@TabloTV, have you guys seen this? I think your product would be a better candidate for Sling TV.

"According to Mohu founder and CEO Mark Buff, Sling TV’s original app worked on Mohu’s device, and Dish’s engineers are in the process of certifying it. Sling TV has not yet announced Mohu as an official device partner, but so far it has extended support to the Roku platform, Xbox One, iOS and Android mobile devices, and the Amazon Fire TV box and Fire TV Stick. It will soon add the Nexus Player, a device that runs the new Android TV operating system"