Heat issues 2/4 tuners

I am looking to buy a Tablo 4th Generation. I am trying to decide between the 2 and 4 tuner versions.

I am seeing a few posts about the 4 tuner version overheating and becoming unstable. Is this a wide spread issue or mainly a issue when using multiple tuners at the same time? Does the two tuner version have similar issues. According to a Tablo article, the two turner (unclear what version the article is referring) can have a surface temperature of 118F and the 4 tuner can reach 125f.

I plan on using a Amazon fire stick. Is the app relatively stable? It seems like the apps in general are buggy but getting better with time.

Is there a noticeable difference in video quality between on board storage and external storage? I plan on using this to record sports.

I have a 2 tuner and have had 0 issues with heat.

@269587 has the 4 tuner, he can chime in on his experience.

1 Like

I don’t use a new Tablo but my Legacy device [4 tuner] used to get warm until I put it on top of a laptop cooler tray… Might work for you.

Has tablo published the thermal limits for the gen 4?

The 2 turner one does get hot but it has not been a problem. So long as it has enough space and ventilation it should be fine.

I decided to test the temp of my 4-tuner after reading your post.

With a small standing room thermometer, I set it on top of the machine for a couple hours. It never got over 79°. However, when I took it off the stand and set it flat on top of the puck itself, it read 118° after 5-6 hours.

I’ve never had a problem due to heat and I can only recall people worrying that heat could cause problems in the future – or suggesting that this is the reason they were having a problem.

As for the apps, they are all completely independent of one another and each has its own quirk. Overall, you’ll want to use a newer device so that you don’t have very many problems. I use mine successfully on both an Amazon 4k Max 1st and 2nd gen, but I hear older models have had their issues. In 8+ months it seems that the regular Amazon 4k (not max) has had the most firestick problems.

Storage-wise, if you’re using the internal drive, videos will be compressed at some point to save on space. The compression isn’t very noticeable at higher resolutions but I did buy external drives because of how poorly I thought retro stations looked when compressed.

If you think there will ever be a time when you’ll need to record more than two stations at one time, definitely get the 4-tuner. If that had been available when I purchased my first one, I could have saved myself a ton of money. (I bought a second 2-tuner and then later a 4-tuner, giving a 2-tuner to my parents.)

All in all, you have to decide what your purpose for the device is. My opinion is that you’d be happier with a 4-tuner because it allows you more options. You’ll run into less recording conflicts and you won’t have to think about what’s more important to record.

The apps have been improving over time, despite a setback here or there. The firmware updates continues to stabilize the units as well as add new features.

I hope this has been helpful. Don’t be afraid to ask more questions from (nearly) anyone here! Most users are very helpful and have been through nightmares that are mostly fixed.

1 Like

@269587 Thank you for the detailed reply.

1 Like