HD Homerun Connect Duo - Not Bad at All

The transcoding delay “killing the user experience” is a bit of an exaggeration. The delay when tuning to a new channel is less than the prebuffering delay when playing most OTT on-demand content, and switching between the most recently viewed live stations is almost instantaneous.

3 Likes

I realize this may be a personal preference and dependent on device/set-up, if I’m watching live OTA programing on a TV screen… I watch it via the television’s tuner, and let the TV do it’s job.

I ended up choosing the Tablo for several reasons. At it’s core, it’s simple, easy-to-operate, hassle-free and (in my experience) bullet-proof. I’ve had it sitting in the same place for a year now, haven’t had any problems with it. Before making any determinations, I did give both devices a fair shot. Tablo wins.

HDHomeRun has these new SCRIBE units which are essentially the same as a Tablo.

1 Like

Yes, and it’s reasonably priced, I’m planning on picking one up. They also have that (new) Servio, which will work with any Homerun tuner and alleviate having to run a NAS.

Isn’t there SERVIO essentially just a NAS running their DVR software?

Yes. Makes things simple, which (for people like me) is great. I wonder why they didn’t think of this long ago.