Green flashing when playing from phone

I’ve decided it’s just not worth it & sending this thing back to Amazon today. Going to either wait till July for the new HDHomeRun or buy one off ebay. :smiley:

Tablo is awesome and works on most things. S7 and S7 Edge just require the work around I posted. Nexus 9, even on Android N play correct without any work around.

It’s really hard to say who’s problem it is, since Tablo works everywhere but S7 and ALL other streaming apps work on S7 without the work around. It is ALL CARRIERS.

Wow… I’ve been having this green flashing problem for a while. I came on here to see if anyone else experienced it. Glad I’m not the only one… thanks for the workaround and for bringing the problem to the appropriate parties. I, as you all, really hope they get a fix for this. Sucks having a state of the art S7 edge and can’t use Tablo without the workaround. Cheers.

I also emailed support@tablotv.com with the phone number to Samsung.

Another chat with Samsung:

Akhil J: Hi, thank you for reaching out to Samsung Technical Support. How may I assist you?
Bill: I chatted with someone a couple of weeks ago and they said the problem would be addressed.
Akhil J: Hello Bill.
Bill: I got the update today but the problem is still there
Akhil J: Bill are you having the chat ID that you previously chatted with?
Bill: I have an application, Tablo which flashes green while watching the video or live TV
Bill: I can get the chat number if you wait a minute
Akhil J: Sure Bill!
Akhil J: If you have the chat ID, I can have a quick glance at the chat.
Bill: 4311144236
Akhil J: Thank you for the chat ID.
Akhil J: Give me a minute to go through the chat.
Bill: When I click on “on” for “Turn off hardware overlays” then the app plays correctly
Bill: All my
other video apps work correctly. Tablo app works fine on all other
phones, including Galaxy S6 and S5. Just S7 and S7 edge have the
problem
Akhil J: Thank you for the detailed explanation.
Bill: The Nexus 9, even running Android N beta still plays Tablo fine
Akhil J: I can understand how bothering it is when the Tablo app doesn’t work.
Akhil J: I will do my best to help you.
Bill: I tried uninstall and reinstall today, since I just installed the update this morning, but it didn’t work, as I suspected
Akhil J: Just to confirm, are you using Galaxy S7 (SMG-930T)?
Bill: yes
Akhil J: Thank you for the confirmation.
Akhil J: Have you performed the Clear cache and Clear data for the app?
Bill: I tried clear cache before I uninstalled.
Bill: does uninstall clear data?
Akhil J: No Bill.
Bill: I (and others) have had the problem OVER TWO MONTHS. It does NOT make a difference on carrier
Akhil J: In this case, let’s try for Clear cache.
Akhil J: If that doesn’t work, I suspect that the issue is with the latest update.
Bill: two updates ago (not days, but the one before that)
Bill: i had to
get a replacement phone. Tablo worked. I did an update, and Tablo
still worked. I did update again, and Tablo flashes green
Akhil J: The issue occurs due to the update.
Bill: yes
Akhil J: Let’s perform some troubleshooting steps together to isolate the issue.
Bill: I’m in application manager. Should I clear cache and clear data? If I do, then the app with need to sync with the DVR.
Akhil J: No need, Bill.
Akhil J: Just perform the Clear Cache and the data and check for the issue.
Bill: cache and data cleared
Bill: dev options turned off
Bill: Launched Tablo
Akhil J: Is the issue still persists?
Akhil J: Okay.
Bill: The way the app works, it HAS TO SYNC with the Tablo DVR to get the tv shows, movies, and live tv channels I get
Bill: sync takes 6 minutes or so, THEN I can try to watch. I bet it will STILL be GREEN
Akhil J: Okay Bill.
Akhil J: Just check with the issue.
Bill: the issue doesn’t happen until I go to watch a show or live tv. sync just finished. will try now
Bill: I win! It
is flashing green. Now I will go to settings and Developer options,
and disable hardware overlays, and the tv will show correctly
Akhil J: I am sad to hear that.
Bill: and MASH is showing normally
Akhil J: Bill, let me check it with my supervisor.
Bill: But like I
said, Tablo is THE ONLY video app that does this. On the other hand,
Tablo works EVERYWHERE except S7 and S7 Edge. Hard to tell what caused
it, but it looks like the update
Akhil J: I do understand your concern.
Akhil J: But we have not come across such an issue.
Bill: Does anyone there have a Tablo, which is a DVR for Over the Air TV
Akhil J: We do not have such an option available from our end.
Bill: Would it help if I talk to Tablo and see if they will loan you a Tablo until the problem is fixed?
Akhil J: However I will check with my superiors and help you.
Bill: They are closed today, as they are in Canada and it is a holiday
Akhil J: Okay Bill.
Bill: see Green flashing when playing from phone for our 60 plua messages about problem
Akhil J: I am trying for the all possible options to help you.
Bill: I’ll wait
Akhil J: I
have checked with my supervisor and it seems to be a compatibility issue
with the Tablo application you are trying to use. In this case, we
recommend that you contact Tablo support team and check with them once.
Akhil J: As the other apps are working fine, it seems that there is no issue with the phone.
Bill: I have and
it has been two months. They only posted one message in that time.
That’s why today I posted it on Facebook. I don’t care which company
needs to do something, but I am warning potential S7 and S7 Edge buyers
about the problem, so it is in Samsung’s best interest to try to help
them fix the problem.
Bill: I put the warning in Cordcutters, which is one of the most popular cord cutter forums on Facebook
Akhil J: Bill, Samsung doesn’t like to lose the customers.
Akhil J: Samsung will do all the all the possible ways to satisfy the customers.
Bill: Samsung broke the phone with an update. It is NOT carrier specific
Akhil J: However, this is a new issue to our concern.
Akhil J: I will report it to my superior officers and they will take the action immediately.
Bill: If you had
access to a Tablo, would it help? I can call tomorrow morning. Is
there a phone number the Android devs can call you on or an address to
mail a Tablo to?
Akhil J: In this case, I will share the contact of our Voice support team.
Akhil J: You can contact to them directly.
Bill: I’ll give the Tablo people the phone number for voice support and the chat number. Hope it gets fixed soon.
Akhil J: Shall I share the contact with you?
Bill: Yes please
Akhil J: You can contact our voice support at 1-888-987-4357, Mon-Fri: 7 AM - 2 AM (CST), Sat: 9 AM - 10 PM (CST).
Bill: Thank you
Akhil J: I wish the issue be fixed soon.
Akhil J: I am trying to help you all the way I can.
Akhil J: I hope you understand my limitations.
Akhil J: You’re welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?
Bill: that’s all

Yes, it’s been almost two months now since the original problem was posted. I was hopeful that the update this morning would have fixed it, but it didn’t.

Will someone that knows how to program Android please create a Tablo launcher, which turns off hardware overlays, and a end tablo which turns hardware overlays back on? Maybe even @TabloSupport

I have to agree with the Samsung rep there. Yes, the Tablo app broke after the update from Samsung, and it was the Samsung update since it is common to all carriers.
However, the Tablo app seems to be the only one affected, this usually means that they coded their app leveraging some bug on the OS or a library (by accident or by design), and the bug was corrected with the update. Or they were using some bit if code (again from the OS or library) that was deprecated and subsequently altered or removed by the update.

One way or another I think it is Tablo’s responsibility to identify the problem, find the root cause within the code and fix it… or, if truly it is a problem affecting their app due to a bug introduced by a manufacturer update, then Tablo is still the one responsible for reaching out to that manufacturer and work with them to correct the problem or, if the manufacturer ignores them (since they have such a small customer base compared to, say, Netflix), then find a software work around that addresses the problem.

I know you don’t care who fixes the problem. But think about it: can Samsung, admittedly as huge as they are, troubleshoot every problem that arises with every app that runs on their phones. Especially in such an open ecosystem as Android. If you want more manufacturer control over the apps that run on their phones then you need an iPhone (I hate myself for saying that).

David says they are concentrating on the Tablo firmware update and they will post when they have something

@TabloSupport, @TabloTV: any update on this? Would be great to hear from you instead of all this deafening silence.
This is still most definitely a problem.

1 Like

I got my Tablo firmware update today, so hopefully soon. Samsung suggested that maybe they aren’t using the latest model for S7 / S7E to develop with.

Others need to post in various Cord Cutter forums and Samsung forums. I waited until it was two months before posting anywhere but here, but now warning people of the problem and work around needed. Would be awesome if Tablo got a Galaxy S7 to test with.

I’d like to hear it straight from the horse’s mouth. Their lack of participation on this thread is starting to look like they are ignoring the issue.

Besides, without feedback from @TabloSupport (or any kind of communication on this matter) the only conclusion that can be drawn is that there is not going to be a solution ‘soon’.
To say the least this is more than a bit disappointing.

I’ve talked to David some and have faith that it will be fixed. The last was waiting for 2.2.10 but now that’s done, if not soon I too will begin to have doubts. Will my birthday or the fix come first? I think my birthday, which is June 30.

That’s great, but I don’t know who David is. If he is a Tablo representative maybe he can speak for himself here and provide everyone with an update in his capacity as an authorized company representative instead of letting customers relay messages or otherwise speculate on when the fix may be coming.
I am sorry, it is nothing personal against you. Far from it. I’m fed up with this issue, not being able to watch my Tablo’s content remotely on my phone. But what I’ve truly lost my patience with is the lack of @TabloSupport or @TabloTV participation. That just tells me there is no fix coming. If there is one coming, even if it is months out, let THEM say so. At least that way we know its on their queue somewhere.

David answers the Tablo phone the majority of the time I call.

You CAN watch Tablo on your phone if you do the work around I posted. Add developer options. Check Disable hardware overlays. You need to check disable hardware overlays each time the phone is turned on or rebooted otherwise the flashing green returns.

Maybe by me posting the work around has slowed Tablo down at finding a fix. I thought it would point them to a solution. It is posted back on APRIL 16.

Thanks, but I’m not interested in the work around.
I am interested in a fix and, more importantly (at this point in time at least), to hear from @TabloSupport.

I’m calling today to let them know they can close a ticket for guide data on 20.2. It finally showed up yesterday on Tablo. I’ll ask him to please post in the flashing green thread. People want to see a recent post by ANYONE at Tablo.

David says they will post this week. We’ll see.

Hi all,

Quick update:

We’ve made several attempts to secure a loaner device locally and unfortunately have not been successful. We are continuing to work to source a device as well as troubleshoot this without the specific hardware in order to narrow down and reproduce this issue.

Unfortunately since we haven’t yet been able to isolate the cause, we don’t have an ETA on a fix for this yet. That being said, now that we’ve got more time and resources to look at this issue, we hope to have it solved soon.

2 Likes

The silence has been broken! Let’s hope it’s not another two months before another post ,:laughing:

@TabloSupport any chance of Samsung loaning you one for 6 months or so, or sell you one at a reduced price? The problem occurs even when on Wi-Fi.

Anyone want to come to Austin, TX? You can test with mine. If you think it’s fixed I’ll try the new app and let you now the results.

Thank you for the update. Please continue to provide status updates on a more or less regular basis so S7 users know that this has not fallen off your radar.

This is not the first time an application has encountered this issue. I don’t know how much documentation your Android developers have access to, but there are prior cases where this has happened.

Also, I don’t know how constrained your company is resource wise. But you could simply go out and buy an S7. It is not like you are spending resources on a device from an obscure company with only one customer… it is Samsung’s flagship phone, so it is likely that more and more of your customers would upgrade to it as time goes by.
Maybe Tablo doesn’t have resources and is too small for Samsung to send a sample phone for development. Just thought I mention it.

We purchase as wide of a cross-section of devices as possible, but unfortunately it isn’t entirely feasible to have every single Android device in house.

We have a few more rocks to turn over and are hopeful we can get one on loan.