Green flashing when playing from phone

@TabloSupport We would like to stop using the work around to watch Tablo. How close are you to a fix?

@TabloSupport and @TabloTV Any update on this problem? It’s been 16 days since op posted his problem. The only thing that has been confirmed is T-mobile S7 and S7 Edge with second update needs the work around I posted last weekend. Still don’t know if S7 with other providers has gotten the update or if they also have the problem.

It’s now been 21 days. Would sending you our phone information help the Android developer find and fix the problem?

Has any carrier besides Tmobile gotten this problem?

I have the same exact issue, I have an S7 that I just got yesterday. It is on Sprint network. Very annoying to not be able to play the tablo on my new phone.
I will have to try your work around.

My tablo is at 2.2.8.

1 Like

@TabloSupport and @TabloTv success! A phone carrier besides T-mobile, just as I expected would happen. I think it is something related to TouchWiz but for some reason the only app that I have that is affected is Tablo. Now Sprint has the problem!

The work around should work for you. Note that if you restart your phone or turn it off and back on later you will need to go in developer options each time.

got an update from Tmobile , but it does not fix flashing green issue. Using the work around still works.

It adds support for fm radio. You can install Nextradio and use headphones for antenna.

Confirmed that the problem still exists in the new Tmobile update, and the workaround trick still works.

Hate to say it but I don’t think there is a fix. See http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/tablets-screen-flickering/

Even though the symptom appears to be similar and the workaround is the same, I think it’s too early to draw the conclusion that it cannot be fixed on the S7/S7E. The issue referenced in the URL was on older hardware and firmware (two major releases behind). We are still waiting on Tablo’s response on whether the workaround solution will give them enough hint to start debugging the issue for us.

With the S7/S7E update starting to roll out to other carriers, more and more people will get impacted, and I hope we’ll get some response from @TabloTV very soon :slight_smile:

Did the work around work for you? I assume so.

It has now been 30 DAYS since original poster and 20 DAYS since I (NOT @TabloSupport) posted a work around. PLEASE CONTACT SAMSUNG and see what they changed to break Tablo.

NEXT POST FROM ME IN 15 DAYS unless it is fixed by then.

I assume the problem is limited to the Samsung phones.

I have a Nexus 6P 64G on T-Mobile and am not experiencing these problems.

Chas

As far as we know, this problem only happens on the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge with the latest update. So far only Tmobile and Sprint users have verified the issue, but it’s likely that AT&T and Verizon S7/S7E users will have the same experience once the patches/updates roll out by their carrier.

1 Like

I’ve got a feeling that if we were to root the phone, and install another Android without the dreaded Samsung TouchWiz, that the problem will go away. I hope AT&T and Verizon hurry up and roll out the updates so we’ll have more people asking for the fix.

UPDATE: Contacted Samsung (I thought I would share this)

Chat InformationPlease wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

Chat InformationYou are now chatting with ‘Navya N’. The reference number for this chat is 4311144236. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Navya N: Hi, thank you for reaching out to Samsung Technical Support. How may I assist you?

Visitor: With the not the last update, but the one prior to that pushed by T-Mobile, SOMETHING that was changed in TouchWiz BROKE by Tablo app. It has been over 30 days since I notified Tablo dev

Navya N: Hi.

Navya N: It must be very inconvenient for you when the Touchwiz changed.

Visitor: So far the problem only affects T-mobile and Sprint, but I am POSITIVE that the SAMSUNG UPDATE will break it on Verizon and AT&T as well once it is pushed

Navya N: Let us work together to isolate the issue.

Visitor: dailymotion, Youtube, Netflix, other streaming all work. Only Tablo broke

Navya N: Thank you for the information.

Navya N: Before I assist you, Shall I ask you few questions to identify the root cause of the issue?

Visitor: Tablo is a DVR for OTA and it streams to devices. It works with my Nexus 9. It only breaks for SAMSUNG S7/S7 EDGE

Navya N: It must be very inconvinet for you. Let us quickly look in to the issue.

Navya N: Inconvenient*

Navya N: Let me know the Model number of your phone?You can find it on the rear panel of the phone or you can find under Settings>>About phone>>status.

Visitor: SM-*not posting

Navya N: Thank you for the model number.

Navya N: Have you tried to un install the app and re installed the Tablo app?

Visitor: I do have a 200gb sandisk sd installed

Visitor: I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled several times, as have other users. Go to community.tabloty.com and search for flashing green

Navya N: Okay. Have you contacted the Tablo app developers and checked if the app is compatible to your phone software or not?

Visitor: it worked prior to the last Samsung update

Navya N: Thank you for the information.

Navya N: Let us perform together some troubleshooting steps to isolate the issue.

Navya N: I will walk you through the steps.

Navya N: We can try to isolate the issue if it is not isolated we will go with other options to isolate the issue.

Visitor: if it helps you any, I enabled developer options and when I click on Disable Hardware Overlays, then the Tablo app works!

Visitor: google flashing green samsung and you’ll find a bunch

Navya N: Is it working fine after disabling Hardware Overlays in Developer Options?

Visitor: does that give you any clue

Visitor: yes it does

Navya N: This could be an issue with the particular application after the latest software update and thanks for alerting us regarding the issue.

Navya N: We will forward the issue to the concerned department to get it fixed.

Visitor: Thank you

1 Like

Sounds like you were talking with a robot.
They are fairly common these days with contact centers. I’ve sat through a vendor presentation or two. The more expensive ones can almost pass as human.

To confirm: this issue is also present on AT&T S7 Edge phones.
Mine started having this problem after the update about three weeks ago. I had been reading this thread but procrastinated in creating an account.

The wife has a Galaxy S5, also AT&T, no issues with the Tablo app in this phone.

Update: interestingly when using the Tablo channel on my Plex server on S7 Edge, the screen will flicker green a couple of times and then it will stabilize. If I skip ahead or pause, the screen will go all green, flicker after it has buffered and stabilize again. I’m assuming that’s because of the transcoding done by Plex. Viewing the same recordings (or live TV) directly on the Tablo app still flickers green constantly.

When using Chrome on the S7 Edge to view Tablo via my.tablo.com, the screen doesn’t flash green.

Other apps also do not have problems with playing video. This includes Netflix, Hulu, Plex, Amazon video, YouTube, Sling, and VLC (with and without the hardware acceleration option turned on).

Of all the video viewing apps on my phone, Tablo seems to be the only one having trouble, and it started with the last phone update.

S7 Edge on T-Mobile & same story here. I use a ton of apps & only Tablo’s has this issue.

Oddly tho, I can cast the whole screen to chromecast while it’s flashing green & it’s fine on chromecast. It’s also the only way I’ve found to cast to chromcast too.