Got A Plan and Some Questions

Been using a Channel Master DVR+ for years. Don’t think much of their new device. Want more OTA DVR. So looking at new solutions. The TabloTV 4-Tuner OTA DVR came to my attention.

So I’m thinking maybe that, a good 2TB USB drive and Roku devices on the four TVs?

I know about the encoding time, how Roku “streams” and that this solution won’t be good for channel-surfing. I can live with that.

What I am wondering is:

• Via Roku devices: Will I have full control over program recording scheduling?
  • If I had a Roku 4 with a digital optical connection to my 5.1 surround system, would I get DD/DTS to the receiver?
  • How good are the ATSC tuners in these beasts? With the DVR+, signals that are marginal on our Samsung TV become unusable on the DVR+
  • I understand the streaming from the TabloTV box will be compressed. So WiFi to all four TVs won’t be a problem? (Assuming adequate WiFi signal.)

Thanks!

[quote=“jseymour, post:1, topic:15032”]
Via Roku devices: Will I have full control over program recording scheduling?[/quote]

Hard to answer. You will have some control on scheduling, but may find it easier in some ways via the web app.

The 4-tuner Tablo transcodes audio to 2-channel, so the answer is no.

[quote]
How good are the ATSC tuners in these beasts? With the DVR+, signals that are marginal on our Samsung TV become unusable on the DVR+[/quote]

Generally speaking, tuners in TVs are usually better (not always the case). This is because of patents, etc… Hard to say with regards to Tablo as there are huge amount of variables especially when dealing with OTA and something that is considered to be “marginal”.

Shouldn’t be a problem.

1 Like

That’s what I expected. Unfortunately it’s a show-stopper, for me.

Thanks for the follow-up.