Gonna give 4th gen a try

I decided to go ahead and buy a 4th gen to give it a try. I had a 4 tuner Tablo (original gen) that died by lightning but worked for years with no problems. I was hesitant to buy a new 4th gen because of the massive problems I am seeing on the board so I bought a 2 tuner $99 one with the 30 day return policy from Amazon. I am gonna see if it is really as bad as they say and will report my findings here. Wish me luck.

2 Likes

Just make sure you have good RF signal and WiFi Signal (if not hardwired in) you should be ok.

Also make sure you streaming box has good wireless signal.

2 Likes

Thanks, I come from a network system engineering in my past (pre retired) life and plan on a solid test plan.
This is my 'test plan"…
My internet is solid and my switch network is solid and tested.
The RF feed is very robust and my TV and my old Tablo get/got about 60 solid channels.
My main TV (Roku) and the Tablo are hardwired. This is my initial test model. After that proves or disproves anyTablo’s issues, I will branch out to other wireless clients Iphone, Amazon Tablet, Roku etc…

1 Like

Just be ready to experience lots of issues! I have a fireTV stick 4k first gen and just bought a FireTV stick 4k Max second gen and both have issues with the Tablo. The max has experienced about 6 plus issues I have found and many are very problematic. My FireTV 4k 1st gen has had issues since November last year and nothing has been fixed so I suspect my newer Max stick issue will never be fixed too.

Although my Amazon Recast has issues they are not as bad as the Tablo.

What is so sad is there is really no effort to fix the issues that I see. They are only interested in getting more customers with more promises.

I have the feeling I am a beta tester of this product.

Go ahead and buy it and you will see what I mean. Caveat Emptor!

1 Like

This will be the most helpful part of getting your Tablo to work properly – the willingness to look into what is going on in your network that has caused many users to experience issues. Doesn’t matter if you get 500Mbps DL speeds, it’s the internet network and congestion that can be the biggie!

Good luck, and don’t hesitate to share how things are going and ask as many questions as you need to. You sound very willing to dig into how things work and like you’ll be open to other people’s suggestions. Although I’ve had a huge headache here or there, I was usually able to problem solve this within a day or two. (Things that we can control – apps and beta software are a whole separate category!)

2 Likes

Thanks, I am starting with a known good tested and monitored network environment and eliminating local things like wireless and local and off-board congestion as far as i can control. I will stick with what I knew worked with my previous non 4th gen Tablo and work from there. There are a lot of horror stories out there and I want to validate as much as I can and get a realistic view on this product. It has been almost a year from it introduction. We will see…

2 Likes