General PLEX setup and strategy discussion

@Emairob The Plex forum is very helpful. Sounds like a setup issue. I have been running for a few years and consider to be very stable. When you say it looses connection, are you referring to a Roku or other device not finding your Plex server on your network?

We lived in the Midlands from 1995 to 1999. We loved the UK. I worked with Jaguar managing the launch of the S-Type Interior for my company at the time.
Very cool. Nice car. 

Thanks. Its the connection itself that gets lost - other devices can't find the server on the network. When I log into the NAS, and open up the app it looks OK, and then it magically appears OK on the other devices on the network! Very frustrating.

@Emailrob The Plex forums are very good https://forums.plex.tv/

Also here is a connection troubleshooting page. https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200931138-Troubleshooting-Server-Connections

Since this is all tablo and plex users…anyone having issues seeing recordings in plex? My live tv works just fine but I can not see recordings. I can on the roku and android apps though. 

Is the app broken or did I do something wrong. I have tried the standard and beta apps. 

So I bought a FireTV and I am testing it side by side with the Roku 3 and HOLY COW the PLEX app is so much nicer on the FireTV than the Roku. I love the left side navigation pain and the way filtering works when searching for a movie. The graphics when looking at movie info is very nice. It just looks a lot more professional. I never realized how the Roku ties the hands of developers.

As far as how the FireTV compares to the Roku. I like the it overall. I personally think sound is clearer on the FireTV than on the Roku. The picture looks crisper to me on the FireTV as well. My wife thinks the pictures a little jumpy on the FireTV but I do not see it. I like the Amazon apps integration but I do think it takes more button clicks to get to MY Apps. I think it would just take some getting use to the recent apps function. For some reason I always want to button click down to My Apps.

I do wish it naively worked with my Hamony 700 remote. I did find a USB dongle called Flirc.tv that I ordered from Amazon. It should be here Tuesday. I found a forum thread where the Flirc.tv developer has done a firmware update for FireTV support and developed a GUI for programming a remote to operate the FireTV. 

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BB0ETW8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews

I am also anxiously awaiting the Tablo FireTV App.

Did they ever fix the FireTV 5.1 support in PLEX? Last I had looked into it, everything had to be transcoded down to stereo audio. That has kept me from seriously considering a move to FireTV.

Lenovo Q190 Celeron 1017U with 4G and 500GB, $150 USD + tax (free shipping)

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops/lenovo/q-series/q190/?menu-id=q_series_minis

Add coupon: QSALE319

Unlike most tiny computers, this has a pretty healthy CPU (can transcode HD) and comes with memory and HD.  The typical minimum for a desktop computer (typical lowest price threshold) is $250 USD (too hard to put the parts and pieces together for less).

The Q190 has been my Plex Media Server for about 8-9 mos.  It’s low power (about 30-35W).  I just bought another one (due to this sale) that I’ll probably make into a virtualization server, just because it can).

I have 3 Roku 3's and thought I would buy and test the FireTV.

99% of my media is MKV Format. I can play TV episodes just fine but I cannot play movies. The movie starts then I get a message like "Cannot Play This Video". After that not even TV Episodes will not play until I reboot the FireTV. All my movie files are between 7 and 12 GB.

I tried uninstalling and re-installing the Plex App I even did a fresh install of Plex Media Server and still no joy. Anyone else have this issue?

My current Plex Setup includes

- 3x Mac Mini’s 2.3GHz i7, running vSphere 5.5 and vSAN
- virtualized MacOSX w/ 4 cores and 4GB Ram, runs Plex Server
- Synology DS1512+, content storage
- Local Clients - 2x Roku 2 XD,2 Samsung Smart TVs, 2 Amazon FireTV, 2 Chromecasts, 2 Xbox One’s, 4 PS3’s, 2Xbox 360’s, 2 iPads, 2 Amazon Fire Tablets, multiple phones 
- Offsite Clients - multiple Roku’s, Vizio Smart TV, Amazon FireTV Sticks, Chromecasts.

I’m definitely about to pull the trigger on canceling my DirecTV subscription and going with Tablo…Mohu Channels intrigues me also.  I think if Tablo had apps for Xbox One and Amazon FireTV, it would be the clear winner…and the Guide subscription fee is not too bad.  My proposed setup would be adding a Tablo to my network, the 4 tuner version…I already have Netflix and Amazon Prime subs…add maybe 2 Hulu Plus subs, or one Hulu Plus sub and SlingTV (need ESPN).  This plan and the Tablo Guide fee will cut my DirecTV costs by almost $70/month.  Since I have Plex running on everything I can, I’ll need to do more research on how the Tablo Channel integrates with PLex to see if it’ll be user-friendly enough for the rest of the family.

@Mr13Five

The Amazon Fire TV app for the Tablo came out today. It works great.

I wanted to update my fellow PLEX users on my RAID setup. I was looking to pool my 7 external drives and for a solution that did not require tons of redundant disk space to provide protection against loss of data if a drive fails.

I found a product from FlexRAID called Transparent RAID. Transparent RAID does setup a true RAID. It pools your drives and uses 1 drive as a “Parity” Drive. As long as the Parity Drive is as large or larger than the largest drive in your Drive Pool it provides you the ability to “rebuild” a lost drive onto a new drive.

You are protected again data loss from a drive failure as long as only 1 drive fails before you get a new drive and rebuild it. If two drives fail at the same you will only have the ability to rebuild one lost drive. So there is still some level of risk but I believe the risk is to small to worry about.

So here is my setup:

I bought a 8 drive bay with internal cooling. This will work with drives up to 6TB. http://www.mediasonic.ca/product.php?id=1357290761

Next I had seven external drives that I took the cases off and inserted the drives in the Media Sonic Drive Enclosure.

WARNING: The drive enclosure requires the disk’s to be set up as a GPT (GUID Partition Table) disk. This is the new standard replacing MBR (Master Boot Record). If your current disk is MBR you can convert it to GPT using Disk Management in Windows but it will require the disk to be re-formatted. ALL my disk were MBR so I had to buy 1 new disk, convert it to GPT, install it in the enclosure, and copy the contents of a MBR disk to the GPT disk, and rinse and repeat until all my disk’s were converted to GPT and installed in the enclosure.

Next I bought and installed FlexRAID’s Transparent RAID software. http://www.flexraid.com/

Using Transparent RAID I created a drive pool so that Windows Explorer (and PLEX) only see 1 huge drive. The software walks you through pooling your drives and setting up the Parity Drive. Since I needed to by a drive to get everything converted to GPT I bought a 6TB drive and decided to use that drive as my parity drive. I also plan to replace my 2TB drives with 6TB drives as I run out of storage space.

I have been running this setup for about 6 months and I am very happy with the results. I find it to be a big advantage using a drive pool. It allows me to not worry about which drive I am adding new content to. I just copy it to the drive pool and it’s done. Having data protection with the Parity Drive also eliminates worry about loosing data.

If you decide this would work for you and you need some help getting it setup just PM me. I was very careful and a little nervous when I did this, praying the whole time that I did not loose any data by messing something up.

Nice setup - question though is the parity data only stored on one physical drive or is it split amongst all the drives?

Reason I ask is what if the parity drive fails?

1 Parity Drive. If the parity drive fails it can be replaced and when activated will rebuild the parity data. Again the only way I loose data is if more than 1 drive fails at once. I consider this a remote possibility.

I agree it’s a remote possibility but what if you have 2 drives die at the same time? One the parity drive and another a storage drive.

Then I am S.O.L. :slight_smile: