Flickering/split screen issue

It’s happening here in Mesa, AZ too Channel 5 (CBS) only. The local news is currently (6:59 am) on and CBS This Morning starts soon. It is happening right now and appears to be every show on Channel 5. Very annoying

UPDATE: I changed the LIVE video quality from the recommended setting of 5 mbps to 3 mbps and it seems to have fixed the issue!?! Coincidence?

WELL, it was doing Great, now it’s back!

1 Like

Well that’s even weirder.

What streaming quality is everyone else using here?

I’m using 5 mbps. I just tried 3 mbps for Live video but still have the flickering.

It just started back up again!

Our video expert is going to take a look at this shortly. Hopefully we’ll be able to figure out what wrong switch they’ve flipped over there in Phoenix and get this patched up for everyone.

Thanks for your patience guys!

1 Like

I’ve switched to several mbps settings, same result. Still happening today. Can’t you just contact CBS Phoenix and ask them what they did?

Tablo responded before your post, I guess you didn’t see it.

I’m trying to diagnose a problem with recording 4 shows at once causing the Quad to reboot. I’m testing right now without CBS (Phoenix) in the list of shows and so far so good.

I’ve seen the issue with interlaced green lines on the picture and split screen that jumps around.

Is this some kind of new Macro vision?

It’s happening to me as well near Phoenix North Mountain only 10 miles from signal. It was strong signal before, now does same split screen thing. Only CBS 5. I’m not sure if it’s coincidence that it looked good for a bit because it seemed to correct itself for maybe a minute or two earlier. But after about a minute, it went back to split screen. I did not mess with any setting other than re-scanned the channels once before I figured out what was happening from this forum.

1 Like

They are working to correct the problem.

This CBS issue is really screwing me over. As a brand new Tablo owner trying to convince the ‘Boss’ that we can use this device for all our local TV needs and having it freak out and reboot all the time…well needless to say I’m loosing the battle. The other bad part is I had no idea at all the cause up until today.

1 Like

It normally is pretty reliable. We have had it for a few years now. This is a ‘fluke’.

2 Likes

Yeah, the timing of this is very bad. Like it’s intentional to stop DVR’s, as antennas hooked directly to a TV are fine.

Anyway, I wouldn’t give up yet as it appears it is only CBS 5 that’s doing this. Give it a few days and then see. Once (if??) it’s fixed, then you can do a trial sub to CBS All Access to catch the shows you missed.

As far as the ‘freak out and reboot’, I believe this is also a result of CBS as I never had those issues until this latest ‘glitch’. So it may very well clear up as well.

The problem with switching back is the cost, it’s nuts imho. And if you go with a streaming service, they have their own issues. Welcome to the era of big business screwing the little guy (oh wait, that never went away).

I saw the reply. I also saw that they would try to figure out what wrong switch was flipped. To me, that sounds like something done in error vs. something intentional (which I still think is a possibility). I was suggesting a direct contact to them might result in some answers quicker (provided CBS will even say). Just thought it was worth a shot. I guess you didn’t understand that.

1 Like

We wanted to have our experts check the video pulled from a customer’s unit so we had a sense of what to inquire about before we approach the broadcaster.

We have observed that the video being sent is in an unusual format which is causing the errors you’re seeing.

We’ll be reaching out to the broadcaster as well as sending an email to Tablo customers in the Phoenix area shortly.

3 Likes

If CBS figures out they can block DVR’s that auto commercial skip while impacting nobody else, well let’s just say a call to them explaining the problem would not be wise.

I have a bad feeling about this. I don’t think CBS is going to change their format for Tablo. Tablo will have to change their decoding. What if other stations change their format?

Can you direct us to the phone number that we should be calling to express our views?

It can’t be too hard to contact them since the contact information is at the bottom of the station WEB page.

The other bad part is that Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the US, so this impacts lots of potential customers. Yes I do believe Tablo will need to figure out a work around.

Edit: Ohh and I’m half tempted to see if I can get the Tucson CBS channel.