First Impressions

We’ll do that when we add an HDMI port  =))

Random observation on the channel scans: so far for me it’s been either 5 circles (green), 3 circles (orange) or 1 circle (red).

Can it ever be 2 or 4 circles?

I resolved the issues I had with the Chrome interface by re-synchronizing Tablo with Chrome (thanks tech support!) and all seems to be good now with managing recordings and schedules.  There’s definitely room for improvement on the UI (especially resolving conflicts!) but it’s definitely usable.  Seeing 50+ shows with coverart and name on a single screen and being able to recorded individually (or a season’s worth) in two mouse clicks still blows me away.  Well done!

After almost using Tablo for a week now I’m convinced that the platform will be used more as a device to manage recordings than it will be as an endpoint enabler to watch TV on.  Nothing beats my Pioneer Elite plasma IMO for watching TV (at least in my house!), and the weak point IS the Roku 3 box.  It’s served me well; family friendly, plays everything thrown at it (via Plex) and is a capable Netflix player.  I’ve not really watched any content to date on my Roku that has commercials until Tablo.  The lack of visual fast-forwarding through them is becoming a show-stopper for me on the Roku, and creating a bifserver (look it up!) to push thumbnails out a la Netflix would be a kludge at best.

It’s time, folks, for the next Roku to show itself.  Unless there’s a hardware refresh from them capable of visually fast-forwarding through content, my search for the “next Roku” has begun.  Tablo is now one of my “must have” applications on my next streamer.

Mohu Channels looks promising.  I’m in on the Kickstarter for it and expect to get mine in June.  It’s android-based,  many existing Google Play apps have been tested to work, and it’s $89.

Anybody else feel the same way I do about the Roku?  Even if  NoTablo gets enhances the interface to include progress bars, resumption of show, and the other bells and whistles in Plex Rarflix I think the Roku’s time is almost up.

Comments?

@Max - You’ve got an eagle eye. 

The answer to this is no. The way the UI is designed right now we get three signal strength options - high, medium and low - because we do a ‘quick’ channel scan. This translates into the 5/3/1 you see. 

We may adjust things down the road to have a ‘long’ channel scan option that will get us more granular information. We opted for quick out of the gate to reduce the setup time for users. 
We cut our cable TV cord last September and had been very pleased with the quality of our over-the-air antenna HDTV experience. The only shortcoming has been not being able to record programs as well as not having access to a program guide.

For months I scoured the Internet, reading reviews of what was out there. Surprisingly, nothing caught my eye. In October we considered a "traditional" DVR (Magnavox or Phillips), but these were modeled after VCRs (similar physical design, remotes, limited hard drive capacity, lack of program guide, etc). Thankfully, these units were $300+ which kept us from purchasing one. Fortunately, TabloTV arrived on the scene just a few months later.

Upon reading the first reviews and write-ups about TabloTV, I went into our living room and gave my wife a hi-five and proclaimed, "We've GOT it!" And now that we have used our pre-order TabloTV for the past week, the unit has delivered on every high expectation that we had.

What incredible foresight to not build a limited hard drive into the product, but allow each home the ability to purchase whatever makes best sense for their unique recording needs. What incredible foresight to design an amazingly intuitive and versatile program guide that leverages our smart phones and tablets (rather than having yet another clunky remote control). Recording, viewing, and deleting programs has never been easier.

The first time my wife sat down with her iPad and used the TabloTV app to scroll through the lists of programs (by genres of TV shows and movies), she became giddy with excitement and said, "Oh my gosh I had no idea how many shows and movies were on TV!" Because I am a techie and my wife is tech-averse, her reaction is the real testament to the beautiful concepts behind TabloTV.

Kudos to Mr. Grant Hall and the entire team at TabloTV for the creativity and forward-thinking put into this 1st-generation TabloTV. Brilliant design, brilliant product, we could not be happier.

@earlyretiree - Thanks for that lovely note (and for sharing it on Facebook as well). We’re so glad you’re both loving Tablo!

So far it has been great.  I also tried SimpleTV at the beginning of the year.  That was a big failure, so I sent it back.   But in the Simple TV forum I heard about TabloTV so it worked out in the end.  Now I am waiting on the second unit to ship so I can resolve the conflicts.  I will be shutting down MythTV after almost 10 years.  Sorry to see MythTV go but TavbloTV is much easier for the wife to operate.  And cheaper in the power requirements.

Not impressed. I set it up as the instructions stated, but have had nothing but issues. Initially it tried to locate me as somewhere in New York and when manually choosing a zip code, it stated it couldn’t be found. Finally, I let it search where it wanted, then changed the zip code and it worked. It also asked to format the hard drive, but since then, it always tells me hard drive temporarily unavailable…temporarily? It’s been like 2 or 3 days now. I went and tried to set up recordings and get them all lined up. I could even see where there was conflicts, but I couldn’t figure out what the recording was conflicting with??? I deleted recordings for the conflicts. After it appeared a few things recorded, I tried to watch one, and got some commercials. When attempting to move ahead, it got all messed up and now continually get an error on my tablet when trying to view a recording. Even when I go back to my recordings, I now have a “!” where the Play button is on all of my recordings. I decide to do a factory reset. When I did, it did start back up like first setup, but when I got through the channel setup (better than first time), it still shows my recorded shows and those scheduled. The factory reset should have deleted those. I now get a player error, channel does not exist when I go to Live TV and select something to watch on my PC browser. It’s incredible. Everything is hit and miss and it is not meeting my expectations as I have dropped a ton of money on an antenna, a hard drive, and the device. I think it would be cheaper to just go back to cable. Someone help me while I try another factory reset!!!

Another factory reset…same result.

@jploggie  have you submitted a support request to Tablo?  Looks like they have been quick to offer service.

What kind of hard drive are you using?

@jploggie - That for sure sounds like a hard drive problem. It’s likely that your drive is unsupported. Send a note to support@tablotv.com and they’ll get things sorted out for you.

I’s using a Seagate Expansion 2TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (Model:  STBV2000100).  If it doesn’t work, I guess there is no problem dropping another $100 into this new technology to get it to work.  I still have to buy a Roku box to watch Tablo on my TV…another $200.  I think I have a total of about $500 into this new toy.  is it worth it?

And can someone please tell me what 2TB HD I need to buy so I don’t invest in 6 more before I find one that works with Tablo? 

@jploggie from my experience with it, yes, it’s worth it.   

Here are their recommendations: http://www.tablotv.com/blog/back-away-from-that-flash-drive

I’ve been using a portable Western Digital Elements 1TB drive.   
http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Portable-Drive-Storage-WDBUZG0010BBK-NESN/dp/B00CI3BLPA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397487514&sr=8-1&keywords=western+digital+elements+portable

@jploggie - It’s the desktop version that’s the issue. Look for a portable USB drive. 

Thanks for everyone’s advice.  I have now ordered the Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB Portable External Hard Drive with Mobile Device Backup USB 3.0 - (Model: STDR2000100).  Hopefully this one will work.  I guess I now have two backup desktop hard drives and one for the Tablo.  I will provide an update once I get the new hard drive in the next couple of days.

I wish you would have read a few “hard drive” threads around here before buying your hard drive. The seagate backup plus drive didn’t work for me at all. I purchase a 2 TB toshiba something or other (begins with a C) for $89 at staples and it’s been smooth sailing ever since.

Also you should be able to purchase a Roku box for $100 max.

Is it work it? Yes! I’m dropping my cable and will be saving about $130-$140 per month.

Well I did read the threads and the only difference in the one I JUST purchased is that its 2TB and not 1TB.  I guess I will return that one and find something else.

So, now I have purchased a Toshiba Canvio…@jwhitesel…is this what the “C” was for?  Got it on Amazon for $65.