FireTV and FireTV Stick

There are Android STBs with better hardware than FireTV and there will probably be many running Android TV later this year as they move to Android 5.0.    Current Tablo Web app runs fine on Fire TV stick but needs to be modified by Tablo to support using a remote rather than mouse=finger on tablet.         

I prefer the Android native app over the web app as the native app offer a more robust network support model amongst other things.  The Android native app does not need Internet access (my.tablotv.com) to find my tablo, it does all that inside my LAN

I hope Nuvyyo continues to develop and offer both option to Android/FireTV users…

@lowbee

They have promised they will, but don’t expect it anytime soon. They are currently working on the Roku app overhaul.

I haven’t tried it in a while but will the current native Tablo Android app run on Fire TV or does it still require root to spoof wifi?

The current Android native app only works under WiFi on FireTV, the fake Wifi app no longer work even if you are rooted.  I am longing for the day the Android native app support WIRED ETHERNET

I am longing for the day the Android native app support WIRED ETHERNET
+1

The reality is that Roku is Tablo's preferred STB.    Fire TV/Android TV aren't the current priority

Maybe not a priority now as they finish up the Roku redesign, but I continue to “shine it on a bit longer” as @TabloTV said so that it becomes one. Eventually dawn’s light will come.

Tablo will be bringing Android-based apps to both the Amazon Fire TV and Android TV streaming set-top-boxes. This will provide two additional streaming media player options for Tablo customers who wish to enjoy live and recorded Over-the-Air content on their big screen TVs. - Market Wired (http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/nuvyyo-continues-to-lead-innovation-in-over-the-air-hdtv-technology-1980213.htm)

More detail just posted to the tablo page

https://www.tablotv.com/blog/ces-2015-tablo-metro-roku-more/

You guys are too quick for me! Stay tuned… Hoping to get more sneak peeks up over the course of the week.

You guys figure out how to pass Surround Sound, and I think you will have given me everything I need.

I signed up to test the FireTV beta app but no one from TabloTV has reached out to me yet

I also signed up to test the fireTV App, as well as the Roku and Android TV app :slight_smile:  haven’t heard anything yet.

I don’t believe there is any beta software yet, which is why they have stated “early this year.”

I prefer the Android native app over the web app as the native app offer a more robust network support model amongst other things.  The Android native app does not need Internet access (my.tablotv.com) to find my tablo, it does all that inside my LAN

I hope Nuvyyo continues to develop and offer both option to Android/FireTV users....

That’s been my biggest complaint so far - and the fact I didn’t KNOW this prior to purchase and spending a lot of time trying to make things work - with an up and down Internet connection over the weekend. Where we live, as with a lot of the US if we are honest, Internet isn’t always reliable or available (thus the cell companies coming on strong in rural areas - we can’t get cable or DSL)
No one said “must have Internet to use” but there was a LOT of  “works over your existing Wi-Fi”. Cool, I have a very solid and fast internal network at home. My inside net is good, newer and reliable  (except for the repeater that drops off now and then but that’s another issue)
So I’m told that Tablo MUST access the Internet for various reasons - obviously that’s not a fact or the case as the "droid apps and iPad don’t need to so WHY should a computer have to? If the Android device or tablet can communicate directly and NOT require web or Internet access, then the information I was given about “why Tablo has to contact the Internet” isn’t really correct, otherwise ALL devices communicating with Tablo to control or manage it would have that necessity, correct?
I guess my frustration is the lack of factual information on this. 

It’s required, but it’s not required. It’s necessary for a “web app” but not a tablet. Why? My browser works fine with every other piece of equipment I own, bar none - until Tablo. There is no reason at all for a browser or web-based app to need to contact the Internet to communicate with a LAN device if it’s on the same LAN segment. Mine is - I can get to my Blu-Ray, my repeater, my router, my hotspot, anything, via browser, EXCEPT Tablo as they claim web access is required. That’s news to me and I manage a large government network with 33 remote offices and dozens of network devices all managed by… Chrome or FireFox, no Internet required. 
I’d just like and appreciate some facts as to WHY the apps on certain Android devices can function between Tablo and device with zero Internet but the PC and smartphone versions cannot. That’s not a requirement because it’s browser based or else no tablet could function without Internet either.
A Windows OS is 100% self-contained (up until 8.x that is) so why must if have Internet to talk to a device on the same segment. For updates? If that’s the case then tablet apps would fail, too, correct.
Can someone fill me in on the facts, please?
It seems to be to be a choice by the developers, not a requirement or necessity. If it was a necessity, then ALL apps, tablet, iPad and otherwise would require Internet connections, but they do not. Only PC and certain others do. Makes no sense.
Can’t I just put in the IP address of the Tablo and get to it? 

@ShadowsPapa

Maybe starting a new thread would be a good idea?

I agree the web app on computer browsers and smartphones should be able to access the Tablo locally without a live internet connection.

However, why are you using the Tablo without an Internet connection? All the guide data is online, without the guide data the Tablo is actually like a VCR.

I agree the web app on computer browsers and smartphones should be able to access the Tablo locally without a live internet connection.

However, why are you using the Tablo without an Internet connection? All the guide data is online, without the guide data the Tablo is actually like a VCR.

+1  

I also don’t like that Tablo requires a live internet connection to function and this should be addressed.   I’d have to give this some thought but if the internet connection is only required for guide data, why can’t the Tablo access/retrieve the guide data at a user determined time daily, such as 3am, which is not uncommon for other DVRs.

On a related topic, what information if any, is Tablo retrieving from your unit from the required connections to their servers?      Are your recording habits and viewing being logged or viewed in any capacity?
@ShadowsPapa

Maybe starting a new thread would be a good idea?

Because the online program guide is DOWNLOADED and local. Once it’s there, it’s there. No, it’s not like a VCR as I don’t have to store dozens of tapes that wear out, I can record multiple things at once, and I do not need to connect to a TV and move it if we want to watch in a different room.

I’ve been using a DVD recorder but finding DVDs is like looking for wisdom teeth in a chicken. 
And with DVD recording the same limitations apply - but you have to watch ALL shows on a disk to use any of the space again, watch all shows, format, record again. Can’t watch 1 show, delete it and then record 1 more show on that disk. It’s either all or none, single location, single recording event at one time. Can’t stream to multiple TVs (or other devices), large, cumbersome, requires direct connection TO THE TV, permanent setup in one place, stacks of disks all over the place and you have to either label each time you record (or you have 100 disks, full, and have no clue what’s on them because there’s no guide or menu until you put the disk in, let it load, and guess based on the date and time it was recorded! Much like a VCR only a bit better)
There’s absolutely no comparison! Why would you ask, honestly, this is far far more than just a program guide - it works wonders with no program guide at all. No, it’s keeping logs on their servers and so on, but WHY with the web app only? Why not with the iPad or native 'droid apps, eh? Why do they make you do this with the web app only and not the other?
You download 14 days of program guide. Then ONCE a day as one day falls off, it downloads one more day, taking only moments to minutes. So when that’s done, why would I need Internet since the guide is LOCAL to my device and stored on the device?
LOL - let’s turn this around - why are you using it WITH an Internet connection? Roku? What if you have Chromecast or some other means of getting it to the TV? My BluRay can take what’s on the notebook and show it on the TV, my notebook has an Intel card that will broadcast the notebook screen to a TV (if I bought the other part of the pair, I opted for the much cheaper and more supported Chromecast device) so why would you need Internet in such cases, other than a single daily program guide download?, And again, why only the notebooks and unsupported devices? Why not FORCE all you iPad users to require an Internet connection? Why not for all of you, all users of any device to have an active Internet connection, why just some of us?
@7up - you are correct, they log the activity. But why just me and not others using iPads, etc.? 

The announced FireTV apps look pretty good, can’t wait to get them.  Tablo to Plex to FireTV at maximum size is chewing up my wireless bandwidth at home.