RESOLVED - Fire TV software update 5.2.1.0 - Tablo no longer usable

Today Amazon began pushing out this software update today and mine just now updated.

http://www.aftvnews.com/fire-tv-software-update-5-2-1-0-is-now-rolling-out/

Here is what I am experiencing on my 4 tuner Tablo that is hardwired. I assume my problems are related to this OS update because I’ve never experienced any issues with my Tablo until now.

1. Recordings have lost thumbnails when fast forwarding. This is true of a recording previously watched and thumbnails were fine.
  2. Playback of recordings does not load the full recording. A few minutes worth load, then fast-forwarding (no thumbnails) takes you to the end which is just a few minutes. Hit pause, hit play and then a few more minutes load up. This has to be done many times over to load the whole recording
  3. I rebooted the Fire TV, no joy.
  4. I removed the Tablo power cable for a few minutes and then fired it back up. My Tablo is found, but after the app starts it’s unable to connect…there is a connection status at the top of the screen. Finally, the message appears that a connection could not be established. The blue light on the front keeps flashing.

I’m dead in the water. Anyone else with a Fire TV get this OS update?

I have not opened a support ticket yet.

p.s. My Tablo has been ROCK SOLID for many many months since I’ve owned it. I couldn’t be happier with it…well until this problem.

Sorry you are having trouble with your Fire TV update. Mine auto updated to the newest version tonight and I am not having any issues at all with Tablo. I still have thumbnails, all recording are working etc. Not sure what your issue could be but mine is flawless since the update.

I noticed that the Tablo was pretty hot. So I unplugged power for a few hours and now I’m not having any issues with it being found or playing live tv.

However the issue with my recordings remains: Playback of recordings does not load the full recording. A few minutes worth load, then fast-forwarding (no thumbnails) takes you to the end which is just a few minutes. Hit pause, hit play and then a few more minutes load up. This has to be done many times over to load the whole recording. I’m using the Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB Portable External Hard Drive from the recommended drives list.

I think my problem has nothing to do with the Fire TV OS update

Anyone else ever lose thumbnails for recordings like I have?

me too i have a problem with the Amazon fire tv with Tablo. Reset tablo nothing. At first it say that i need to enable remote access ? so i deleted my tablo and after a re-scan, it discover it, but i cannot connect to the tablo.

Everywhere else in the house is working: iphone, computer… Do i need to delete the app in the amazon fire and re-install it ? Last tablo update for amazon is less than the previous update of the Amazon Fire OS i think, maybe tablo need an update ?

Update: Tablo works perfectly with none of these issues on my Fire TV Gen 1. These problems are only on the Fire TV Gen 2.

So I reset my router. Then uninstalled Tablo on the Fire TV Gen 2. Then restarted the Fire TV Gen 2 and reinstalled Tablo. Now it won’t connect at all. I’m back to thinking it has something to do with the Fire TV Gen 2 OS update to 5.2.1.0.

So strange.

1 Like

Glad I saw this here.

I am having the same exact issue after the firmware update on my FireTV Gen 2. I really hope someone comes up with a solution on this!

I did lost my thumbnails for my recording, but it was after my trial period to the scheduling service. Once I bought my subscription the thumbnails came back. You can use the software that came with the Tablo, but it doesn’t have pictures. I like that it will allow you to extend the recording time for the programs you want to record longer than couple of minutes.

Hi folks -

So if I understand the problem correctly those with Amazon Fire TV 2 … Is this the stick or the box?

Have you all tried deleting & re-adding the app?

Have you all tried to reboot the router, the Tablo and then the Fire TV after deleting & re-adding the app?

Are none of you able to connect or are you just seeing a lack of thumbnails?

If you haven’t done so already, please place a ticket with support with as much information as possible about what you’re seeing and the devices you’re using so we can attempt to re-create this.

http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

I have been using my Tablo successfully for the last 3 weeks. Recently my Tablo app on my Amazon Fire cannot connect to my Tablo device. The device shows up when I scan but when I hit “Connect” it tries for about :30secs then goes back to the “Connect” screen. I’ve tried the following:

Reboot Tablo
Reboot Amazon Fire
Reboot Router
Deleted Tablo and tried to add it back
Reset Tablo to factory defaults and tried again

I also have Amazon Fire Stick and it works fine on it. I wondering if its something with my Amazon Fire…

Not sure what to try next.

Hey bakergis have you found a solution? I have the exact same problem. I have tried all you have and the only thing I can see to do is go back and reset the Amazon fire box back to factory settings and that is a pain because you have to log back into everything (applications) that you have subscriptions for. :angry:

P.S. Amazon wasn’t much help either!

I actually went ahead and reset my Amazon Fire to factory defaults, started over and still no go. When I try to connect to my Tablo it “tries” then goes back to the “Connect” screen. I agree that I think it has to do with the Amazon Fire Firmware update but not sure. I have opened a support case with Tablo….waiting for them to respond to me so see if they have any suggestions.

I’m having the same problem. See my post Fire TV software update 5.2.1.0 - Tablo no longer usable

I opened a support ticket but they are on holiday today. Hoping Support can dig in tomorrow.

Ok, so I don’t know if this will help with you guys above, but this is what I did. After (like i stated before) did all the stuff Bakergis had done, I tried again, this time I selected the app, and then moved the USB cable to my HDD over to the other port, then I rebooted. I then started the connection process. This time the app connected and I was able to see my recordings. I seriously needed to see my recordings. Last night we went out to see Captain America Civil War and I had the next two Marvel Agents of Shields to see. :o) I did not see that last part coming!

So I tried the suggestion from enawn…didn’t work for me. I even went ahead and reset my Amazon Fire to factory defaults and started over. Still no go. I will have to wait and see what Tablo Support comes up with. Once I find a solution (optimistic here) I will post.

Did you start the connection process while it was rebooting? That is what I did . It also gave me a extra large font saying it was SYNCING all in capitol letters. Sorry it didn’t help. I hope this was different from what you did and it helps. I haven’t been back to the app since I watched Agents of Shield. Will be trying that sometime today.

This is the Fire TV 2 Box (not stick). As I mentioned above:

I reset my router. Then uninstalled Tablo on the Fire TV Gen 2. Then restarted the Fire TV Gen 2 and reinstalled Tablo. Now it won’t connect at all. I’m back to thinking it has something to do with the Fire TV Gen 2 OS update to 5.2.1.0.

Before uninstalling the Tablo app the issue was with the Thumnails as described in the first post. Now after uninstalling and reinstalling Tablo, it will not connect.

I tried what you suggested and tried to Connect when the Tablo was rebooting…same result. I do have another Amazon Fire TV coming today and while I am waiting on Tablo support to come back to me I think I will try it on a “new” Fire and see if the problem shows up. Will keep this thread updated…

So I had a friend of mine with the same setup as me (Amazon Fire TV box + Tablo) check and his Tablo was working great…then Amazon pushed 5.2.1.0 to his Fire…now his Tablo won’t connect. Sure seems like the Amazon software update is breaking Tablo.

I had trouble again myself. I had to reboot the Tablo box to get it to work again. Has anyone notice how hot their Tablo box gets? My is fairly toasty. I am thinking, I might use it to warm the house next winter. LOL