Feature Request - Global Settings

I would really like the ability to set some things globally. For example, I like to record (and keep) old TV series … like MAS*H for example. The default for keeping shows is (AUTO) whatever that is but I discovered it has deleted some of the shows I wanted to keep so I went in and changed virtually all my scheduled recordings to keep (ALL). It would seem to me that should be a global setting so one wouldn’t have to do ALL of the schedules for something like that.

Duly noted…

The default for KEEP is AUTO which will allow recordings to be deleted if room is needed on the drive.

There are two ways to ensure your MASH recordings are all saved. One is to set KEEP to ALL. The other is to PROTECT all the individual recordings in that series you want to preserve.

Setting all of your series to KEEP ALL could allow your hard drive to fill up. Unless you want to keep a tight eye on your storage space, it’s best not to set all of your series to KEEP ALL.

That is one of the reasons why some of these settings are not global as it could lead to unintended consequences.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I do (often) look at the drive but with 6TB available, I doubt I will need space for some time. Interesting you say it will delete when space is needed. I’m (almost) positive that episodes I had not deleted are gone and the drive has almost 5TB available.

Thanks again,

Steve

Is it possible that those episodes didn’t get recorded due to a signal issue?

Sometimes episodes in older series are pulled from syndication as well, so if you’re missing 1 or 2 that could also be the case.

I don’t think that’s the issue. Another series I record is “Matlock”. I was just looking at my schedules and noticed a two-part episode called “The Vacation” is scheduled to record which puzzled me because I’m (almost) positive we have (recently) watched that one. I looked at my saved episodes and it’s not there (thus the reason it will record) which is why I thought it must be deleting episodes I thought were being saved. That’s when I discovered the (AUTO) thing and changed it to (ALL).

I could be wrong but i don’t think so.

Steve

Hrm… That is mysterious.

The only reason I can think of for that to happen is if those episodes were deleted after being watched, or perhaps if they have different metadata.

Perhaps we need to call in Matlock? :slight_smile:

Here’s a question that might relate to the “issue”…

A few days ago, I had a program that was supposed to record at 4:00AM. It did not record with a reason of “Drive full”. The drive is FAR from full and since the Tablo had been “dormant” for some time when that scheduled recording was to start, I believe the “drive full” notice was because the drive (WD Elements 6TB) had been shut down and was slow to spin up. I have read on the forum that that occasionally happens and since the drive has been FLAWLESS before and since that event, I suspect the spin up was the cause. However, would the drive full “error” set a flag that would cause the Tablo to go through and delete shows (like the Matlock episodes)? If so, that would explain why there are (apparently) shows missing that were being saved.

That is possible. It might be good to contact support and have them take a peek at your drive: www.tablotv.com/ask-tablo/

Per your suggestion, I did contact support and as usual, they did a very good job of addressing the question. They (Derek) said the drive looks normal and all the logs look good. He agreed it was probably the spin up delay with the drive so that probably (maybe) explains the deleted episodes.

Thanks for the reply and help!

Steve

1 Like