Failed to record due to weak signal

Do you even know what a codec is?

This is likely due to weak OTA signal on that one channel and the “digital cliff” effect given the Tablo has an internal splitter that results in some signal loss. Google digital cliff

Most televisions have a signal meter. So you should be able to not only indicate what the signal strength is but also what the sound to noise ratio is. As well as the failures rates are, both corrected and uncorrected, over a measurement time.

And since DVR’s have internal splitters just what the nominal signal lose would be. And just what happens if you turn the antenna a few degrees toward the station with a weak signal.

My only suggestion is you open a support ticket directly with Tablo. They can remote into your Tablo to see what is going on and if it is an OTA signal issue.

If it’s in fact not a signal issue, and a codec issue, please let us know. I am always open to learning something new I never thought would cause this problem.

I had this exact same issue. Tablo support remoted into my machine and said it was a weak signal issue. Spent hours adjusting my antenna with a signal meter until it was perfect, but still had split recordings and reboots.

You know what my problem was? The power adapter!
My 3 year old power adapter wasn’t providing enough power anymore. I got a new 12V 2A power adapter & now my 3 year old Tablo works great!

2 Likes

Had a similar problem a few weeks ago. Tablo would crash when trying to record with a “weak signal” message. Tablo Support examined the machine and told me that the hard drive was failing. I took the drive out and attached it to my Linux machine. Worked perfectly. As a test wrote one TB of data to it and read it all back perfectly. Did this several times over a few days. The drive worked great attached to my PC with over 5 TB of data going back and forth continuously over three days. Something didn’t make sense.

This time I reattached the same drive back to the Tablo through a powered USB hub. Guess what? Worked perfectly!

The Tablo’s power management seems to give it problems. I will keep a drive attached to the Tablo either through a powered hub or as a self-powering drive. Not counting anymore on powering devices through the Tablo’s USB port…

Just in case also ordered a new power adaptor. There appear to be what seem like antenna or drive problems which in reality are power management problems.

1 Like

I did the same thing about a year ago with the same good result.

If your area has channels that are participating in the FCC repack phase 2 I would pay attention to what is happening to the various stations.

How the various stations actually achieve repack is up to them.

Here are some examples from my area(since Monday) - detected during a channel rescan.

1. Monday I had a 4 channel station (3 sub-channels) when two 17.1 showed up. But the 17-1 with the strongest signal had no actual broadcast data.

2. I have a 4 channel NBC station that today has all four channels with dups at half strength.

3. I have a 4 channel fox channel where all four channels are so weak that at times neither tablo or hdhomerun even detect them.

The ironic thing is that this “weak signal” message applies not to the antenna but to the power supply! :wink: Who would have thunk…

It seems to me that the PS was struggling for awhile and just didn’t have enough output at times to get all the tasks done - because it was intermittent for several weeks and then finally ran out of gas. This caused a number of strange things to happen that did not seem to point to the PS. From what I have read here it seems that PSs seem to go south after 3-4 yrs. Mine was 3+ yrs and my Tablo sat on a laptop fan its entire life.

1 Like

I’ll never trust the Tablo’s USB ports to supply power again. As I mentioned above, what appeared to be a drive problem for me became a power supply problem after I reattached a “malfunctioning” drive through a powered USB hub. The drive was perfectly fine. I remember a Tablo support person admitting a year ago that a self-powered drive would probably be preferable after all.

I got my new power adapter and put that in last night along with a powered USB hub. My wife seems to think the Tablo (3 years old) seems to be snappier and more respondent after these two changes. Rescuing my Tablo from anemia…

I’m wondering when the voltage drops because of power supply problems affecting current flow, if that doesn’t impact the RF signal coming through the coax from the antenna into the tuner through its internal amp?

I have rebooted, the Tablo, Router, and Internet. I tried a channel scan but said can’t do. Nothing is working to be able to watch programming. If I had it for previous recording the recordings are okay. The weather is fine and it has happened randomly. But now, three hours later, it is back. Suggestions for when this happens again.

My new QUAD had all weak signals in same location and same connections as my previous OTA4. Installed the new upgrade and somehow that cured the problem. Not sure why.

Could you take a picture of the power adapter, so I can see what it is? Thanks

You buy the replacement power adapter directly from Tablo. Here is the link for the Tablo US store, with a picture of the power adapter :wink:

$10 USD + free shipping. Go to the Canadian store if you’re in Canada.

Why in the world would my month-old Tablo need a new power plug?. Do they just put a junky one with the Tablo?

I know some people have had theirs go out after a few years… I’m one of the first owners and mine are working fine.

I’m not sure it’s any cheaper (quality) than any other adapter out there.