Extra USB port usage

So since we can only use one USB port for an external hard drive, can the other one be used for something else?  I’m thinking maybe one of those USB fans to help keep the cabinet cooler.  I would imagine these don’t draw much power, but I don’t want to screw anything up.

They say the second port will be for a second hard disk… Sounds like a sort of raid 0… As for other uses, give it a try!

I have a 2tb drive so I don't think I will need another, unless they support load balancing of recordings in case of drive failure then you only lose half.  But for now I use the second to power my mohu Leaf 50 antenna amplifier.

@guck11 - you mean like tablo making a raid an mirroring the recording disk?  i doubt it.

They did say that there would be “load balancing” so that the tablo would see the 2 drives as one and intelligently pick which drive to record to based on certain parms.  Thats about all they have said about it.  Not even sure its a feature we will see anytime soon.

I can say, plugging in a ps3 controller does charge the controller but the tablo got a bit wonky. Wouldn’t connect until I rebooted

Powering the amplified antenna would be an interesting option…  Has anyone done this?

@PiX64

No mirroring, just splitting up the recordings.  Right now if the drive fails you lose all.  Raid would be nice, buti don’t see that as an option :wink:

@jbanks25

Powering my antenna with the usb port and performing as if plugged into regular ac outlet.  No issues so far

Just FYI: Raid 0 is striping not mirroring.  This will improve responsiveness of I/O allowing more concurrent writes and reads from the storage.  Having 4 tuners writing and have other users reading files would kill a single drive.

So striping is “load balancing”.  I’m sure they are not going to re-invent the wheel here when technologies like Raid 0 can be done with software (Linux) which can be enabled at any time with a firmware update.

@jbanks25

That’s exactly what I did, at the beginning, for my Mohu Leaf antenna. But I was not getting good signal. So I don’t know if it was a placebo effect or what but I decided to plug the amplifier directly to the wall, using its own AC adapter. I may be wrong but I guess I was getting less amperes than what I was actually needing.

I’m using the amazon Basics Elite and I’m pulling in the same amount of channels before and after.  Which was surprisingly slightly more than my Mohu Leaf Ultimate.

I’m using the second USB port with the Mohu Leaf Ultimate Amp as well and it seems to be working great. Getting all the same channels as with the wall plug.

@raptastics

I would avoid putting a device that constantly draws power from the Tablo into the second USB port. I may be paranoid but what if there’s a power surge one day and it damages the Tablo somehow? I use the Wall AC adapter to pose the Winegard Flatwave.

I use mine to charge my cell phone.

TabloSupport posted a while back in an identical post that it can be used for anything that works in it. I use mine for a small cooling fan that the Tablo sits on.

1 Like
@raptastics

I would avoid putting a device that constantly draws power from the Tablo into the second USB port. I may be paranoid but what if there’s a power surge one day and it damages the Tablo somehow? I use the Wall AC adapter to pose the Winegard Flatwave.

My thinking is more along the lines of pulling more power through the Tablo - through the USB chipset and thus causing more heat inside Tablo. 
I prefer to avoid anything that increases the power consumption of the Tablo and causes more heat. 
I could see a load such as a small cooling fan perhaps, but charging batteries or driving an amplifier would draw more power through Tablo… you see where  I’m going with that I bet.

I’ve had Apple devices (iPods, iPads, etc.) and other USB devices that draw a considerable amount of power through the USB bus fry systems more than once. (both at home and at work so we have a “no non-government-owned devices are ever to be connected to the USB ports on gov’t owned computers”. If one fries the other, who pays, who is liable? )

Like the instructions for many devices state, for example, the AFTV stick - “use the AC adapter to power the device and not the TV’s USB ports”. Possible, but they don’t recommend it as there’s a considerable draw so they suggest the power adapter. 

A small fan I’d expect to be pretty safe.