EPG Data/Tablo Time

I’ve got my Tablo setup now in what is probably the worst possible situation - no Internet connectivity. We’ve moved to a new house and Comcast is about a month away from getting us setup.

I’ve got an active subscription but that’s useless without a way for the Tablo to grab the guide, but I thought I read that it could use the electronic program guide data that is transmitted OTA ? So far that is not the case - the Apple TV app shows a blank guide. It still works for watching channels, but it would be nice to know what is on. :smiley:

Also, where is the Tablo get the current time from ? Does it use NTP or something else ? I could sniff the network and try and figure it out, but I don;t have my regular setup in the house yet for diagnostics.

I haven’t heard that the Tablo uses the OTA program guide data but you could use zap2it.com or titantv.com to check what’s on. Granted, you will have to use your smart phone & cellular data plan to access them but better than nothing!

I remember it coming up in a discussion of if an unsubscribed Tablo would work and I recall something was said about it basically giving you the next 12-24 hours of guide based on the EPG.

Additional issue with the new house - metal roof. So we have little or no cell signal inside. I’m looking into some repeaters now to keep the wife happy. :smiley:

We still get that data via the interweb because it’s more reliable and complete than the data that is delivered via the OTA stream.

What you may be able to do in a pinch (once you’ve got your repeaters in!) is use your cell as a hotspot to download some data and get your time set. (Yes, we do use NTP.)

I’ll send this to Tablo Support to check out as well to see if they have any other suggestions.

1 Like

Sure would be nice though to have that EPG as a backup :grinning: