Dvr for cord cutters

@TabloSupport and @TabloTV Still no guide data on day 17. I even tried removingchannbels 54-2 and 54-3, add to guide, wait for guide to update, then add them back. Still no guide data. If you have an in-house Roku, try adding the “What’s On” channel and enter 78758 for the zip code. You will see the schedule for 54-2 and 54-3.

I have heard nothing but terrible things regarding channel masters customer service. Notably, a refusal to RMA devices still in warranty period and otherwise ignoring customer complaints about hardware failures.

1 Like

My biggest turn off on the DVR+ is that there’s no whole home DVR option with it. Your recordings are tied to the one TV that the DVR is hooked up to.

2 Likes

People regularly ask me all of the time about cord cutting gear and setups but I won’t offer something I haven’t personally used other than maybe a “look at this xyz but I haven’t used it yet” disclaimer.

One of the best deals (I have done this) for slightly adventurous types needing basic 1 TV living room OTA setup - older lifetime subscription TiVo Premier 3 often found on a eBay or Craigslist with upgraded 1-2TB hard drives selling for $150-$200.

This is possibly the dumbest thing I have ever read.

Each major player has its advantages. DVR+ is basically a VCR replacement. My sister has one and likes it for what it is.

Tablo has multiroom and remote access viewing. I have one and my brother has one and we are completely happy with them.

Tivo is kind of the expensive gold standard. You will pay for every aspect or add on with Tivo. I had one for 12+ years and another brother has one now. I liked it but couldn’t pay that premium anymore.

To make a sweeping declaration on a device you have no experience with seems a little childish to me.

3 Likes

I assume you have a ticket open, or are you using only this forum to have the problem resolved?

Ticket has been open and have been calling. Won’t call again until Friday.

Well thats good. They have shown they work very hard on resolving issues for customers.

Since they are simply the conduit between you and the guide provider I’m sure there is only so much they can do.

I skimmed through this - I didn’t see where anyone had CM’s DVR+…

I have - I returned it.

Here’s why I sent it back…

I have been a longtime tivo owner, but until recently I only had one TV. I didn’t want to pay the lifetime fee again for Tivo so looked for an alternative, found Tablo and DVR+. Originally I didn’t think my network would handle tablo, went with DVR+.

Upon splitting my Antenna to two tvs and adding a preamp to compensate for the split, the new TV picked up channels on its own great. When you put it (tv signal) through the DVR+, it’s tuner must not be that good because it would drop perfectly good channels every few min, then they’d come back in.

Additionally while the guide is free - you get what you pay for. It’s a little clunky in the sense that there is no aesthetics, and hard to navigate. Recording and figuring out how to delete watched shows (it doesn’t prompt you when you finish one) is a pain.

Also some of the remote’s buttons also did things on my TV (TCL Roku TV). Like the power button on the DVR+ remote would turn off the TV, but it wouldn’t turn it on. Guide button would mute the TV…other weird stuff like that.

So I returned it and got a tablo. Not perfect but much better than DVR+.

4 Likes

@Tablotv FINALLY have guide data on day 17. I hope it doesn’t take that long once 7-4 starts broadcasting Thanks!!:blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush:

2 Likes

The burning question is what is your suggest DVR pick now?

3 Likes

I’m still waiting on RetroTV to get it’s guide data out to the providers. TitanTV seems to be the only one that has it (for the Seattle area at least). Still showing TBA everywhere else including Tablo. At least a month now…

I guess I don’t understand the problem with guide data being delayed somewhat on an obscure channel showing more reruns and old movies in a market that already has too many.

If it was a mainline channel, I could get more excited.

Personally, I hope Tablo doesn’t waste a lot of resources on issues like this compared to more pressing needs that effect many more of us.

3 Likes

Tablo did all they could. Since I only have first hand experience with Tablo, i’ll say it has really improved since I got it last year. However, I will say it might take up to three weeks to get guide data if you get a new station.

I have one sub channel with no guide data and I record 1 show a nite - NYPD Blue from the Titan epg. Using manual record for every nite recurring. You can’t get too much Sipawitz!! Sorry, should be Sipowicz! :grin:

Makes me want to wear a tie with a short sleeved shirt…

You didn’t tell me it was Sipawitz!! THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING!!