Dolby 5.1

I looked on their website and I could have SWORN it used to say they were Dolby certified or something like that OR their FAQ stated that they were Dolby certified, which let me to further search what that meant, and I found out that they did not DD5.1.

That being said, that’s deceptive marketing IF they took it off.

I don’t remember it being on the website. You likely read this on the forums, which is technically not marketing.

I knew to ask the question back in February 2014, which implies that I knew before the forum was open.

Yeah dude, I agree that Tablo is probably the best solution thus far in 2015. So I say I will not be happy with it, but I will deal with it for now. Chances are I will sell it at the appropriate time, as I have done various other gizmos and boxes in my quest to have a quality cable-free DVR experience.

Tablo never advertised that it does DD (a quick google search on reviews would tell you that it does not).

My mistake was in viewing 5.1 as a mature (in fact, legacy) tech that is pretty much intrinsic. So much so that any self-respecting marketing guy wouldn’t even promote it as a big deal feature. So I didn’t vet that.

Here’s me asking the question in March of 2014, publicly before the forum existed (if you continue reading the thread, someone asked when a forum would open):
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/1499826-official-tablo-thread-2.html#post24476659

I replied above to my own… assumption. I’m pretty sure it used to be advertised as Dolby Certified, which led me to question WTF that meant. Now there is no mention of it AT ALL on their website, and I am 100% with you. This is very deceptive and unexpected, as everyone is used to DD.

1 Like

You CAN certify for Dolby Pro Logic you know? Look at the options Here

Once again, how important 5.1 discrete is, varies by individual. If that is your biggest complaint about Tablo… Then good. I know I certainly have MUCH bigger fish to fry in my life than to worry about whether the Lions game is in discrete 5.1 or Pro Logic. I bought the device as it was, anything that gets added after that is bonus. If you bought it expecting more then … Your bad. If you didn’t research it before pulling the trigger… Your bad.

1 Like

They were claiming Dolby certification over a year ago online. Here is one thread: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/1499826-official-tablo-thread-5.html#post24568059

I want Dolby 5.1 too, but I think it’s funny with all the things that Tablo is missing (many finally being fixed with the new version coming out soon) that lack of Dolby 5.1 is getting complains. lol

A. Thanks for saying EXACTLY what I said a few posts ago. Since there is an obvious reading comprehension fail, here are the relevant posts.

B. Directly to this:

What if you were led to believe that it was on their short term roadmap, 18 months ago, and made the purchasing decision based on that? That’s not bad on you, that’s bad on them.

I disagree. If you bought a product based on what it was “supposed to” or “going to” have, then it is your bad.

I bought a Popbox based on a lot of things, not the least of which was that the product would actually be relevant… There was all kinds of talk of channels that were going to be added, RealD 3D and a whole lot more. I bought into that… My bad. That is the world of tech.

@LatencyMachine My advice is to you is to ignore the Tablo fanboys. It’s not a good use of your time to attempt to reason with them. WRT being surprised that Tablo didn’t support DD5.1, of course you were. Tablo advertises the world of HDTV, anytime, anywhere. HDTV is required to support DD5.1. I asked specifically if the hardware would prevent 5.1 from being delivered and was told the hardware was not an issue. In any event, the 2H2014 estimate to support 5.1 changed to maybe, sometime; but we’re not working on it. There is no reason to believe it will ever be delivered. If you spend any time on this forum, you will learn that “on the roadmap” means “we aren’t working on it, it isn’t coming anytime soon and it may never come.”

2 Likes

I don’t believe HDTV is “required” to support 5.1… just that many provide it… not trying to be a “nay sayer” just trying to prevent there being another “fanboy” club… one for DD5.1.

I know the Tablo folks are looking into pass through support in some way, shape or form… we’ll see (Tablo does h264/aac streams… it’s not some weird OTA rebroadcaster). I think maybe we can safely say the support is “suffciently hard”… but I can’t say what the barriers are.

Maybe @TabloTV can chime in with a current status… or maybe just some clarification of those “barriers” to implementation.

2 Likes

@cjcox’"I don’t believe HDTV is “required”…’

Believe.

I can’t wait until they add 5.1 support and then you get a bunch of people complaining why don’t I get audio when I watch TV on my phone or tablet? Especially iPhones or iPads, where the decoding of 5.1 AC3 audio has been removed from many apps - just take a look at the VLC player which Apple crippled, they were forced to remove the AC3 codec.

Don’t even bother wasting time trying to explain things, Haters will be haters. Complainers will be complainers. Whiners will be whiners.

I don’t even know what the whining is all about. There are a few people who think that DD5.1 should be the very next thing on the Tablo agenda, and everyone else’s priorities can go suck eggs as far as they are concerned, AND they want everyone to agree with them. It’s lunacy.

1 Like

Dolby Digital Plus was listed on the package insert (see bottom of photo) on my Tablo purchased December 2014…
Don’t know if they listed it elsewhere. I’m posting this only to show how it was presented from Tablo. I personally use PLII for my Tablo on the TV’s connected with an AVR and find it to be okay, once I got past caring that it wasn’t DD5.1. As others have stated, for most OTA content, the audio is sufficient with PLII - but true 5.1 would probably be better for sports, etc.

2 Likes

DD+ is not required to be 5.1

It can be anywhere from 1.0 to 7.1 (though I read something on their site about 15.1?)

That Dolby digital plus on their flyer … They are now obligated to support it immediately. Even so there are other less “nice” implications for not supporting it currently. Not a good day for Tablo.

DD+ != DD5.1

And… it’s still not a requirement as I stated. Talking about ota broadcasts.