Dolby 5.1

This would all be simplified with a just a toggle in settings to either keep audio as is or mix to stereo for all recordings.

2 Likes

Yes, actually that would be great and a simple solution. Now why I didn’t think about that? :smile:

2 Likes

Your are one of the very few that can’t decode AC3 on an HDMI connection. After our forum discussion last time I polled some of my colleagues and friends (20 people), and every SINGLE one of them has the ability to decode on an HDMI input.

Also, 80% of those I polled have AVRs in front of the TV anyways, so it was a moot point.

1 Like

@luker

Maybe 1 out of 10 ppl I know I have an AVR connected to their HDTV. You must know a subset of tech savvy people or audiophiles.

All HDTVs decode 5.1 audio from their HDTV tuner, but not all of them can do it over HDMI. Thus, regardless Tablo will have to keep 2 audio tracks.

Yes, being able to select one audio format could work but then you’ll have people still complaining they can’t have capability with all devices.

I used to think the number of people with AVRs was low till I started asking. 16 of 20 said they now have them, in fact my 77 year old father recently installed one on his main TV system, and I did not even know about it. Usually I’m the first call when setup time comes along :smiley:

It seems that the AVR entry price is now as low $150 plus speakers, which many people already had lying around for other stereo systems. And the large amount of soundbar setups available seems to be changing the dynamic.

Of the 4 that don’t have AVRs now, all of them are saying they want to set that up this year. All of them stated that OTA TV, Netflix, Blurays etc…is what is driving them to get better audio.

1 Like

Here is some info from Dolby http://www.dolby.com/in/en/technologies/dolby-digital.html

To ensure consistent playback regardless of your specific setup, Dolby Digital uses something called metadata.

Metadata is a set of instructions created during programming production and carried in the Dolby Digital bitstream. It ensures you enjoy a high-quality audio experience, whether you’re listening on a mono, stereo, or 5.1-channel system, and also lets content creators offer additional features so you have more control over playback.

The audio from OTA is a Dolby Digital Bitstream if you have 2 speakers on your TV (Forget about an AVR) it will downmix the 5.1 bitstream to 2.0. This is the case also for HDMI.

On my second TV which has a Roku connected via hdmi with no AVR no nothing just plugged into the TV. When I watch 5.1 movies on Plex… for instance… the TV downmixes the 5.1 signal to 2.0, thus this is how I get sound. The TV does the downmixing, it sees the metadata that it’s 5.1 but the TV knows it can only do 2.0 so the signal gets down mixed. As far as I know all HDTV’s with HDMI 1.0 do this.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

1 Like

For digital audio, if an HDMI device has audio, it is required to implement the baseline format: stereo (uncompressed) PCM. Other formats are optional, with HDMI allowing up to 8 channels of uncompressed audio at sample sizes of 16-bit, 20-bit and 24-bit, with sample rates of 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz and 192 kHz.[18][48] HDMI also carries any IEC 61937-compliant compressed audio stream, such as Dolby Digital and DTS, and up to 8 channels of one-bit DSD audio (used on Super Audio CDs) at rates up to four times that of Super Audio CD.[48] With version 1.3, HDMI allows lossless compressed audio streams Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.[48] As with the YCbCr video, audio capability is optional. Audio return channel (ARC) is a feature introduced in the HDMI 1.4 standard.[49] “Return” refers to the case where the audio comes from the TV and can be sent “upstream” to the AV receiver using the HDMI cable connected to the AV receiver.[49] An example given on the HDMI website is that a TV that directly receives a terrestrial/satellite broadcast, or has a video source built in, sends the audio “upstream” to the AV receiver.[49]

I can assure you not all HDTVs decode or down mix 5.1 AC3 audio over HDMI. I am not saying most lack this feature.

I have sent 5.1 AC3 audio from the Roku using Plex, Roku Media Player for local files to my HDTV, and I get no sound. The Roku has no way of down mixing the 5.1 AC3 audio to PCM audio for my HDTV. The Roku can decod 2.0 AAC audio to PCM to be sent to my HDTV, which results in marvellous sound.

Thus, I need the Tablo to record 2.0 AAC audio. So I would appreciate 2 audio tracks.

If the Tablo only needed one audio track which was 5.1 AC3 then that is how it would have been rather than converting the audio to 2.0 AAC.

Are you sure that was DD and not DD Plus? Netflix uses DD+

Yes I am 100% sure, I said local playback of files. I was not even trying to use Netflix. I am referring to 5.1 AC3 that is DD, not DD+.

DD+ can still get folded down to 2.0. That should not be a problem. theuser86 is your TV setup to recive DD from HDMI. Do you have that setting on? Also what TV do you have. I can look it up and see if it can do it. I find it very strange that it cannot.

@John_Zanettos

I don’t think you understand that the Roku itself cannot and does not do any processing to DD or DD+ audio. The Roku cannot “down fold” 5.1 DD+ to 2.0. My HDTV does not “down fold” 5.1 DD or 5.1 DD+ to 2.0 over HDMI.

I will provide the model number of my HDTV later.

@theuser86 as per the dolby spec and how it uses metadata it should. My cheapo Hisense 32 inch HDTV does it. That is why I’m really confused. Sorry to be a bother but everything I know tell me other wise.

1 Like

As I recall, according to Tablo, their contact responsible for circuit design on the Tablo told Tablo the Tablo hardware can indeed do surround sound. I read this on a post by Tablo dated before the Tablo was released, or just a bit after. Why it’s not working yet is anyone’s guess, but Tablo said it would. So, I do believe Tablo should do what they said they were going to do.

-Rodger

2 Likes

@marjamar
The post was in May 2014

Three months later, Tablo stated they had different priorities.

2 Likes

Thanks for finding that.

I just hope these better requests are not being held up to be resolved into the next version of Tablo Hardware. I’d not like that.

-Rodger

1 Like

I feel pretty betrayed and screwed over, given that I spent $600 based on Tablo saying they would add the feature by the end of the year. Way to screw your customers guys. Nice job. $300 for the Tablo. Another $150 for the lifetime subscription. $50 for an antenna and a hundred bucks for a hard drive. All spent on the strength of a promise they felt perfectly comfortable in breaking.

Now that I know they have no intention of providing this extremely basic piece of functionality, I am going to stop recommending this product to my friends and forum buddies and start suggesting people go with TiVo.

1 Like

Are you serious! You feel betrayed! Give them a break, they are working day and night to give us what we want and your calling that betrayed.

Right now they are the most dynamic software and hardware company I know. See how long Tivo fixes a bug or adds a feature. Go ahead check them out. Tivo moves like molasses in comparison.

6 Likes

No one should EVER buy a product that does not have a feature that you need. If it does not have the feature you need, then do not purchase it until it does. I certainly would never purchase anything based on what MIGHT happen.

3 Likes

@Scott_Curtis

Well I can try to help ease the betrayal if you like. I am in the market for a second Tablo so please let me know if you’re interested in selling yours.

The TiVo DVR is $400 now with lifetime sub, plus $150 for TiVo Mini for a second TV and $130 for TiVo Stream for remote streaming. It will give you 5.1 audio on all your devices.

1 Like