Dolby 5.1

I mentioned no 5.1 in the first review I wrote back in March. I had a couple people comment that they didn’t purchase it because of my review.

1 Like

Doesn’t Tablo need to have a Dolby license to be able to use DD formats. From what I last heard it only cost like $1.00 per unit.

I have figured out the Dolby 5.1 conundrum. This is how to do it:

1. Have 10,000 people mention it in the forum.
  2. Profit!

Not unless by then what has become of humanity has figured how to spread its infighting to the stars … then it could go on for several more billion years till the end of time itself …

The Tablo is already Dolby certified. That was done before it was even released.

1 Like

I’m glad I saw this before pulling the plug on my Windows Media Center. There is no way I am going to plunk down a few hundred dollars to downgrade my audio experience. I planned to use Tablo through a Fire TV connected to a home theater setup.

1 Like

Is it just me, but watching great shows like “The 100” and “The Flash” in HD and stereo only (not DD 5.1!) on a home theater system is like eating a burger and fries - without the fries. Makes me feel kinda empty.

2 Likes

True. Though you can rewatch them on Netflix when the season is over in 5.1. :slightly_smiling:

I am also one really hoping they improve how Tablo handles audio. It seems that it has not been too much of a priority. i understand that video is obviously first but Tablo audio to me really suffers.
One of the most frustrating aspects is the volume level of Tablo recordings. I have to always make sure the volume is turned down after watching any Tablo recordings as if I just switch to normal television broadcast it will blast you out there is that much difference. I have done a lot of testing and trying different situations believe me and you can ask my wife ;^)

The other issue is the Tablo audio from let’s say a show like The Flash you hear a lot of weird artifacts that are caused by how the broadcast audio is being summed and downsampled from the broadcast 5.1 audio stream. It sort of swins seemingly. You do not notice it much in the dialog but it really stands out in the music tracks and sound effects as those are probably the elements that are mixed for the surround channels.

The Tablo is an amazing device and it is crazy how much performance they are already getting out of it so I am hoping that the sound elements can eventually be addressed in the near future.

2 Likes

Are you kidding? Season 2 of The Flash is great - I couldn’t wait a year for that! If only I had a device that could record DD5.1 and experience HD TV as it was meant to be. Oh well.

I love this season as well. I hate waiting a few weeks for the next one.

1 Like

You can look on Amazon for a digital converter box that includes DVR. Some have pass thru so you can record a show and watch another. You need to add your disk. Make sure to check if it supports 5.1.

Kinda defeats the purpose of already having spent $300 for the Tablo & hard drive, and additional $60 a year for the guide, don’t you think?

1 Like

Yes…the Tablo description on Amazon and Newegg should say in BIG BOLD letters, NO DOLBY 5.1

I already mentioned the same thing on the “Surround Sound” topic, but I’ll do the same here. I can’t see spending $300 on a device that can’t do any type of surround sound. Once Tablo adds this basic feature, I’ll purchase one & the lifetime subscription, but not until then.

1 Like

I’m glad more people like you are speaking up. I’ve been asking for 5.1 for over 2 years now.

That being said, DPL II isn’t horrible with OTA content. That or I just got used to it.

2 Likes

I’d say to the ears, DPL II is the equivalent of what DLP 2d to 3d conversion, is to the eyes.

-Rodger

DTS-MA > DPL2 > Stereo > Nothing

I want to get as far left as practical

3 Likes

You are not the only one who has been waiting years for 5.1. 5.1 is part of OTA. Why would Tablo not support all that is given to us OTA.

ADD SUPPORT FOR 5.1 / AC3 / SURROUND SOUND!

5 Likes

I think they’re waiting for ATSC 3.0 to be implemented…