Dolby 5.1

Induced logic or SWAG.

-It’s been on the short term roadmap for a while, move to the regular roadmap where it’s been for over 1.5 years.
-They initially said it’s a firmware limitation, which they never acknowledged was resolved.
-The survey for what TWO features you’d like for 2016, does not include DD. Because if enough -people were to vote for it, and they couldn’t/didn’t implement it, it’d arise too many questions.
-It’s listed as a standalone question at the bottom, which means they are not interested in doing it for 2016, could be a lot of reasons why, but it just seems odd to list it separately.

I have $1 on them gauging market interest and if there’s enough releasing a “Tablo HT” (Home Theater) edition (like the Tablo Metro edition, except for the home theater enthusiast who wants 5.1)

DPLII is fine. I just don’t like being strung along if it’s actually not happening. But Tablo has vehemently defended that it is happening. But apparently, not in 2016.

1 Like

I’ve noticed this too, it seems low some times.

I’m not saying it is or isn’t coming. Neither of these tell me it isn’t.

Its not in the pick two list because it is coming and doesn’t need to be in that list. They ask about surround sound systems because they need to prioritize it on the road map… Maybe I’m just a glass half full guy, but I see no definite proof of it be scrubbed off the 2016 road map here…

1 Like

Well, hopefully not like the Metro edition:

1 Like

I agree, it’s not 100% scrubbed.

But I’ve been around long enough to have a lot of empty promises from Tablo regarding DD, to read between the lines, and the empty space between the lines tells me it’s not coming.

I hope to be wrong. I don’t think I am.

And as getcashmoney pointed out DPLII is fine. It’s not DD5.1, but it’s good enough for most OTA.

2 Likes

Yeah… I love DD 5.1 also… wish they had it… but most broadcast TV, even when it has it, isn’t significantly different than the Dolby Pro Logic II… simple because most of it isn’t taking advantage of the rear speakers much anyway…

I did recently get a new TV so I could downconvert the DD 7.1 From Netflix and Amazon Video Apps on Roku to DD 5.1… For movies, especially action movies, it makes a noticeable difference… but, for watching PrimeTime sit coms and the average Drama… or the news, etc… the Pro Logic II does a nice job…

But, I also like knowing that I am “getting the 5.1”… and there are other cases when the Surround Sound is clearer with true 5.1 even on Network TV…

I also agree with @MotobikeMan that we can’t assume they are ignoring 5.1 just because of the survey… They did ask the “Surround Sound” question, I assume to find out what percentage of users would even benefit from it. How they use that information for road map and development, we don’t know. They may realize more people have surround than they thought…

For me, the “pick 2” was weird… because I almost never watch Live TV… and I don’t really have a need to watch my Tablo remotely, or copy the shows onto another device… I use Roku and Tablo for Recorded shows at home almost exclusively… so most of what they listed didn’t apply to my interests at all… “Binge watch” and “5 show limit” were the only things I might ever use from that list…

But, I am glad they are asking people… As, meeting the needs of the Larger Community and more potential new customers also increases the likelihood they will grow and stay in business… So, I am all for them making as many people as possible happy, because it will ensure that I can keep enjoying my own Tablo far into the Future… even if I never use any of the new features…

2 Likes

Make it clear in the comments section you want 5.1, I did.

-Rodger

1 Like

Same. Though I’ve been asking them for 22 months now, lol.

1 Like

I seem to believe on the first survey, sent out about year ago, it was one of the options. Another take on this is that it may have been so low on that outcome that the new question may be an effort to keep it alive.

I noticed that it was not on the survey and asked them why not in the box below. I think the absence of a comment by @TabloTV on this topic gives you the answer we do not want!

They published the results, it was towards the bottom of the “must have” list, but it wasn’t last. I want to say maybe 5th from the top, 3rd from the bottom. But that’s just a vague recollection. I wonder if someone can find it quickly?

I found it, but it’s missing the one thing that matters! UPDATED w/ Results - Tablo User Survey The results from the priorities list, though I see people commenting about it. Where’d it go?

This is NOT the same survey I took this morning. The one you found is from Sept 14. The new survey has some of the old questions and some new questions.

Umn…

@Max
And because of that, I put Dolby 5.1 as wanted in the Box below

1 Like

Max - here is the link to the survey: http://fluidsurveys.com/s/tablo_usersurvey_3/?utm_source=Tablo+Owners&utm_campaign=d4e73c42b8-Tablo_UserSurvey_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_364db32b4d-d4e73c42b8-347447953

I wrote in the comments as well that DD 5.1 is my number 1 requested feature above everything on thier list.

Also expressed in the survey comments that Audio should really be a big factor in the Tablo’s future going forward. The Low volume issue is real and really should be addressed when things settle down. It really is just about my only user experience issue when using Tablo so far.

Best,
Simeon

2 Likes

I guess I need to spell it out…
A. I took the survey and posed a screenshot of the current survey about a dozen posts ago when I bumped the thread
II. jbritton3 commented about the survey from last year, and how DD was one of the items we could select for implementation in the near future, and that likely due to lack of interest they removed it this year.
3. I commented that from last years survey that DD came in somewhere towards the bottom, but I couldn’t recall where, and I found the thread from last year, and all the results are there except the one that I’m looking for.
d. I show you the conversation, assuming you weren’t keeping up.
v. You link me to this years survey :confused:

Ok, now that CES is winding down and we know about Tablo for Apple TV and LG WebOS (does anyone here actually own one of these?) can we get a definitive timeframe on AC3 5.1 passthru? I think we’ve all been very patient…

3 Likes