Dolby 5.1

@marjamar Uhh… what you’re saying sounds very non-trivial to me (speaking as a programmer). Now, if the chip inside the unit could somehow manage what you’re saying, great! But I don’t think so. It’s already having to nab a tuner for “this” or “that” to do “work”… I just have a two tuner unit, but life would be really bad if I just have a one tuner unit and a dedicated tuner to do “work”.

I know Tablo says they are working on it… but IMHO, we won’t see this “fixed” at least not in a good way until the next generation Tablo… even then there’s some risk. Would love to be wrong…

Are you saying each tuner is a discrete component and that there isn’t a CPU other then the tuners?

I’m only guessing base on things @TabloTV has said… they continually say that in order for this feature or that feature to work there has to be an available free tuner (e.g. when they added the fast forward thumbs for example).

I see. I can look, usually do before this long. I suspect there is a CPU, perhaps a micro ARM, but something. When I get home tonight, it I have a blank spot in my schedule I have a look-see.

-Rodger

Being delusional is fun. They probably just have to add “AC3=yes” and recompile the high definition audio driver…depending on chipset of course :smile:

Agreed.

Yikes! I am sure glad I found this. I was all set to buy the Tablo, but no 5.1 is a deal breaker for me. I just assumed it would pass 5.1. Oh well, it’s off my Amazon wish list. I’ll periodically check back to see if it’s added and rethink it then.

2 Likes

Don’t hold your breath, a lot more important features to add than this. It’s not a deal breaker, I’m watching TV not a movie.

When you watch TV in a theater environment, you might be surprised how movie-like some of them become. 5.1 only adds to this and in a pretty significant way. “No brag, just fact”, as Walter Brennan would say.

-Rodger

2 Likes

I have a nice Yamaha 5.1 AVR, it’s just setup 2.1 right now :wink:

I have software that converts stereo to 5.1. It’s acceptable (better then my Pioneer AVR’s Pro Logic II), but too much processing time to really mess with. With all the issues Tablo is facing right now, I don’t see 5.1 ever coming to this generation of Tablos.

-Rodger

It’s not a deal breaker for you, and probably a lot of people, but it is for me. If all I watched were soaps, “talking heads” and cooking shows (my parents!), I wouldn’t care, but I have a home theatre surround system and don’t want to give it up. To each his own.

2 Likes

I agree with you, though Tablo keeps saying it’s on the roadmap. To be fair, when I preordered almost 2 years ago, it was also on the “short-term” roadmap.

That was my opinion too, but I gave up hope. DPLII isn’t horrible, and considering I do probably 2/3rds watching on the TV, 1/3 mobile, I decided to live with it. But it’s obviously not 5.1.

2 Likes

You heard it here first, no 5.1 in 2016! :sheep:

Tablo’s survey came out, and they said “pick 2” items to be implemented next year, and guess what? 5.1 isn’t even on the list.

Later on they ask “do you own surround sound speakers?”. While I understand that asking owners if they own surround sound speakers will give an understanding of the current owners market, but there has been a lot of talk in this thread about potential owners not buying due to lack of DD5.1.

1 Like

Survey? What survey? :frowning:

This slapped me in the face too. Oh well, I sold my Tablo a few months ago after I bought a refurb Roamio with lifetime subscription back when Tivo was running that special. I really, really wanted the Tablo to work and even tried drinking the Kool Aid.

The Kool Aid tastes like ***.

It was emailed.

Um, you know this isn’t exactly proof that it isn’t coming right?

I noticed this in the survey as well and came to comment the same thing. Oh well, at least most of the other suggested changes look good. I’m still not 100% happy with the sound quality of Tablo (and the volume level), but since discovering Dolby Pro Logic surround decoding I am relatively satisfied.

1 Like