Dolby 5.1

CC is available on the Android app too.

You are correct in stating that I mistakenly said ā€œdecodingā€ instead of merely handling. Just as long as we are now apparently all on the same page that Tablo can do things the way they do much in the same way that other devices are also allowed to do it. So lots of chatter about standards has proved that Tablo is following standards.

@snowcat - Iā€™m certain I read in a blog release or some other communication from Tablo that 60fps is supported in 2.2.2 / 2.2.3 with 1080P recording setting. Havenā€™t found the reference yet, but I think that is no longer an issue / compromise.

Found the statement from Tablo that 60FPS is supported:
https://community.tablotv.com/t/tablo-firmware-beta-2-2-2/2513/104

Also, CC is available for Fire TV, Android and Android TV with the latest Betasā€¦

3 Likes

Wow. I am impressed if both if those exist now. I canā€™t wait for this new release then.

1 Like

60fps will require release of the 2.2.2 firmware, but the Fire TV / Android / Android TV CC is out of Beta and live as of yesterdayā€¦

I disagree. Why should we have to accept anything other than HD quality? I do watch all of my shows in 720p, but the difference between 720p and 1080i is negligible.

Sound quality is the same way. 2 channel is not 5.1. Virtually everything is broadcast in 5.1. Why shouldnā€™t we be able to listen to recorded broadcast TV in 5.1 also?

2 Likes

We could take it to the MAX and argue for a broadcast standard that uses DTS HD MA. How about 4K video? No wait, how about 8K video?

DD5.1 discrete will be here when it is reasonable for it to be here. I donā€™t think the folks at Nuvyyo are stupid (well except for maybe the one guy that argues with himself) they probably know what they are doing. Things will get done when they can get them done. They arenā€™t going to prioritize a feature just because so and so, has declared it to be THE single most important feature, that must be implemented at once. This product is still in itā€™s infancy, and if folks werenā€™t prepared to go through the NORMAL growing pains associated with new tech, then they should have waited to purchase.

As has been stated previously, there is MORE than adequate information available as to what the device does, and does not do. So in other wordsā€¦ No, we are not there yet! Quit asking or I will turn this car around!

Nobody ever said this should be Tablos next project. Please stop the hyperbole.

A few of us were pointing out that this may be more important than Tablo thinks.

Why are the people not interested in 5.1 telling everyone that says 5.1 is important to basically shut up and take it? Why canā€™t there be a meaningful discussion? If you donā€™t want to participate, no one is dragging you into this thread.

I will keep asking are we there yet as much as I want to, unless the Tablo staff specifically asks me not to.

And the Tablo staff has been good at responding. They donā€™t always follow through, but I give them a lot of credit for responding.

3 Likes

Actually, one person above said it should have been just about their first project, by saying it should have been there at launch.

Not saying shut up and take it, but hundreds of posts from the same few people, saying the same thing, eighty seven different ways is ridiculous.

@philsoft 4K is ATSC 3.0 and is not deployed. How is this relevant? Come back to the facts. Weā€™re talking about existing broadcast content being played on capable equipment. You canā€™t take it to the MAX by making it up.

And by the way, when 4K does come, TVs will be allowed to down convert to the lower resolution they support. It is unworkable to roll it out otherwise.

The standard is designed such that, when ATSC makes it to the presentation device (TV, tablet, watch), it can be decoded and then ā€œadjustedā€ to the capabilities of the device. This is why 1080i broadcasts play on a 720P only TV.

No one would be surprised if their watch (imagining it could consume an ATSC broadcast) didnā€™t play in 1080/5.1.

What is surprising about the Tablo is that it decodes ATSC and down mixes audio before it ever gets to the presentation device or, for live, as it is passing the stream to the presentation device. As such, even if the presentation device could support the contentā€™s full fidelity, it is lost.

One wouldnā€™t expect their Comcast HDTV receiver to do this (esp. when the TV itā€™s connected to supports 5.1). One wouldnā€™t expect the local network affiliate to do this before broadcasting a national feed over the air.

This isnā€™t a case of a TV or tablet converting content to match its capabilities. This is the case of the device one hop before the TV/tablet/etc. taking away something whether or not the presentation device supports it.

One canā€™t deny the posts here of those who are surprised the Tablo content audio is down mixed. Thatā€™s a fact. As to why they are surprised, I have postulated that itā€™s the Tablo claims stating (Iā€™m paraphrasing) HDTV anytime, anywhere. Maybe itā€™s their fault. Perhaps it is clear that the HDTV experience doesnā€™t include the audio portion of the spec on equipment that would support it. I wish you would further elaborate. It seems there are plenty who find it misleading.

How does one reply to DD5.1 discrete will be here when it is reasonableā€¦I donā€™t think theā€¦folks are stupidā€¦"? Perhaps we should close the forum. Weā€™re in good hands. Everything will come when itā€™s time.

2 Likes

@max Thanks for posting this. I like your summary better than mine: ā€œWhy are people not interested in 5.1 telling everyoneā€¦ā€

Alas, I already see the reply to your post. Oh well. Itā€™s a losing battle with these people. Iā€™m tired.

2 Likes

As well I am pretty sure Tablo has met the HDTV spec and not violated it with using 2.0 AAC audio. All current players connected to an HDTV decode the AAC audio to PCM. The PCM audio is what is sent to the HDTV via HDMI. PCM audio is included and part of the HDTV spec.

That is my point. There is no win and no lose here. I can say-
ā€œI would like to see 5.1 discrete soundā€.
That statement is absolutely true. Now for me and a handful of others to turn that into 232 posts? You must admit, that is at least droll, and probably a colossal waste of time. So I am kinda trying to figure out the point of droning on about it. You want 5.1 discrete and so do I. I am just not as rabid about it.

1 Like

And majority (most expect the Tablo) can do DD5.1 as an option when connected to an AVR. Whatā€™s your point?

I donā€™t think Iā€™m wasting my time by posting. But apparently you think we are. Soā€¦ why do you continue to post if you donā€™t like the post count? You have 19 posts here, thatā€™s almost 10%ā€¦

Donā€™t get me wrong, youā€™re welcome to post. I just donā€™t understand the whole ā€œStop talking about it!ā€ attitude, while you continue to postā€¦

My point is the Roku cannot decode 5.1 AC3, it can decode 2.0 AAC. The output format being PCM audio conforms to the HDTV spec. Tablo has not violated the spec as some people are trying to indicate.

@theuser86 You wouldnā€™t know the ATSC spec if it hit you over the head.

I dropped back in to check on other topics, but I just canā€™t let this spin stand.

My point has been that it is understandable that people are surprised by the lack of 5.1. @cjcox took us all on a tagent on whether or not decoding AC3 was required (it is), but that was not the point.

Iā€™ll waste my breadth again.

The standard states how to down mix if the number of channels available is fewer than the number of channels enocded. Alas, at the point Tablo decodes, the number of channels available is unknown (except for live where it could be known in some cases). Itā€™s unknown because it doesnā€™t present the content! Rather than keeping the audio stream intact until it hands it off to a presentation device (in some cases this would simply mean sending the original stream, in others, it might mean down mixing); Tablo ALWAYS down mixes; thus eliminating the possibility of ever hearing the original audio content even when the equipment supports it. This is unusualā€“stating adinfinitum that TV sets do it is a willful mischacterization of the argument. TVs are presenting! If they have fewer channels, they have to down mix! If they didnā€™t, you wouldnā€™t hear all the channels.

You guys like to talk, but I have yet to hear you address this point. How can you say someone shouldnā€™t be surprised when they record HDTV content on an HDTV recorder and then, when they play it back, the 5.1 isnā€™t present.

I have asked if you would be surprised if Tablo down converted the video to 480 lines and thatā€™s all you got when you played it on your 1080 capable TV? Would you be? Would you please answer this? How is it different than down mixing the audio? Would you please tell us?

Iā€™m trying to grasp why you guys even read this thread if youā€™re not interested in 5.1. Is it because itā€™s a zero sum game so you donā€™t want Tablo working on this at the expense of something you want?

I know whatā€™s next for you guys. Scour the post. Find some meaningless point to argue about and take off on another tangent. In addition to doing that, how about staying on topic and enlighten all of us on why we shouldnā€™t be surprised that Tablo always downmix es 5.1 content?

This thread is simply a place for those who care about 5.1 more than some others to check on progress. Some of us post because weā€™re surprised when we find out, some of us feel misled; but all hope the issue is addressed.

At present, Tablo is not working on the feature. As such, there are going to be more posts. Thatā€™s sort of the way it works on user forums.

4 Likes

@jkline, actually I was only interested in ā€œfactsā€ā€¦ you showed us specsā€¦ which are of course facts in attempt to justify that all HDTV-like devices must do 5.1. @snowcat did a good job of pointing out that DD+ goes clear down to a one channel handing, which means that Tablo is within the standard and ok with regards to their handling of DD+ (I was concerned if you remember).

I merely pointed out there are many (even contemporary) examples of ATSC HDTVs that do not attempt 5.1 but likewise are limited to two channel, like Tablo. Even if it means they downscale as you pointed out, the signal.

Nobody is trying to win hereā€¦ weā€™re all just trying to get all of the facts on the table without all of the opinionā€¦

I donā€™t think these are tagents at all. Iā€™ve learned a lot about ATSC specs (from you) and Dolby 5.1 (DD+) from @snowcat, and others. And I really undestand there is a strong desire by many to have 5.1 (or higher) supported. And I do believe the topic was ā€œDolby 5.1ā€ā€¦ so I think many of the points brought out, including your own, led to some pretty good discussions.

Now itā€™s up to Tablo really to decide if they can handle it by some means. Iā€™m not sure if normal pass through is even possible thoughā€¦ maybe something differentā€¦ (??). Sadly, after all of these posts, Iā€™ve learned that Tablo isnā€™t being misleading, but rather weā€™ve been making assumptions based on wishful thinkingā€¦ and what we believe instead of the facts.

Tablo isnā€™t an ATSC re-brodcaster (or store and forward if you will)ā€¦ and maybe thatā€™s the crux of the matter. Sorry if thatā€™s a tangent :smile:

@cjcox No one claimed Tablo is an ATSC rebroadcaster. And, of course content can only have one channel. There is plenty of old (and great) content in mono. In just the same way that I expect 5.1 content to be in 5.1, I expect 1.0 content to be in 1.0.

And, guess what, there is content in 480 thatā€™s broadcast today.

So letā€™s get this straight, if Tablo converted 720/1080 content to 480 (so that no matter what TV you played it on, the best you could get was 480) would Tabloā€™s claim of ā€œDiscover the world of free HDTV be misleading?ā€ This is directly analogous. One reverses the advancement in sound, the other in video.

Is the ā€œHDTVā€ meaningless on Tabloā€™s home page? That seems to be what you are saying. Maybe itā€™s OK if they only lose one of the two. So, for a 1080/5.1 programā€“if the Tablo played it at 480/5.1 or at 1080/2.0ā€“in both cases it would not be misleading. Only 480/2.0 would be misleading.

Iā€™m not thing to bust anyoneā€™s ball here. Iā€™m trying to understand your position.

@jkline, Maybe weā€™re on the same page. Sounds like we are agreed that 1080/2.0 is ok and is ā€œHDTVā€. While the question is about support for Dolby 5.1, we can agree that it is not a necessary requirement for Tabloā€¦ merely a suggested feature to be added.

You sort of started this by saying:

WRT being surprised that Tablo didnā€™t support DD5.1, of course you were. Tablo advertises the world of HDTV, anytime, anywhere. HDTV is required to support DD5.1.

You have to admit, it seemed, at least at first reading, that you were suggesting that HDTV must include 5.1 support.