Demoing a New Lab Project at CEDIA – Tablo With Cable Card Support

In the Los Angeles area I get FIOS unencrypted for $8 a month. Even though it’s unencrypted I pay them $5 extra for cable card. This $13 month not only gets me HD of all the local major networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, etc) I also get all the sub channels (5.1, 5.2, 5.3) but the cable card also gives me HGTV, Speed, History, Sci-Fi and several others. The card card also gives me on demand access to several of the channels. Pricing is in line with Hulu alone and I get similar channels, plus Hulu doesn’t carry all the major networks. I can’t use an antenna even though I’m only 20 miles from the towers. In many of the forums with people with no access broadcast many are encrypted, but many aren’t. And in many cases basic cable (local) can be had for close or similar to Hulu alone.

In any case additional Tablo customers in additional revenue stream that can also benefit antenna Tablo users.

Any updates on the prioritization of a feature like this? Having both a hdhomerun prime (with a cable card) and a tabloTV, would love to be able to combine the two together. Be really nice to add in some of those channels I can’t get OTA (e.g. ESPN, and other sports channels).

We’re currently focusing on other priorities & projects so there is no update on this today.

I think you are better off just making a better Tablo. Tablo is a unique product and if you get it to work very well you will have a corner on the market - but you are not there yet. And I really hope this does NOT detract from your current efforts to solve all the problems your current Tablo users are having. You also have far more customers close to OTA.

2 Likes

Any update on this? I would certainly be interested as I use SD’s tuners with WMC & TWC. But one big gotcha with more and more cable providers these days is almost all channels are marked copy once which is something you’d need to support or you might as well just not bother with it at all.

since somebody already resurrected this post, figured I’d add my .02…

As a customer of both Tablo and SiliconDust products, I would love to see any available information on this whole thing. I currently am running on (2) SiliconDust HDHR Connect tuners and a 4 tuner Tablo, with the HDHR’s driving my “live” and Tablo running recording, as per each products strengths.

Android TV/ Plex/ Tablo/ HDHR with some Roku/ Xbox thrown in on the side

(I had considered using just the HDHR’s, but did not want to run out of free tuners for live- HDHR Connects do not do multicast natively)

They have covered this numerous times.

1 Like

I’d like to resurrect this thread. I am interested in DVR capabilities without paying for the traditional set-top boxes. Credit card is in hand! Thanks!!